Reload this Page >

Looking for a quaint village in big mountains in Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:15 AM
Paige

Hello! I'm hoping someone can make a recommendation. I'm looking for a quaint town in the mountains, preferably near Gross Glockner or other really big mountains for a weekend in November or December. We're not into skiing, but want a nice place to wander around, shop and maybe hike (even in snow). The last place we went was Kitzbuehel and we really liked it and are looking for a similar town. Any ideas? We won't have a car. Thanks!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 05:06 AM
John

Paige:<BR><BR>Not near the Gross but a pretty quaint town. Lech in the Arlberg region. <BR><BR>John

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Bob Brown

Laengenfeld, in the Oetztal, south and west of Innsbruck is a good base, particularly the Haus Michael vacation apartments. It is near Soelden, and the "Gurgels", including Unter, Ober and Hoch. Unfortunately, you will do better with a car. For the Grossglockner Hoch Alpenstrasse, my suggestion is Heiligenblut or Grosskirchheim. There are hotels in the area. <BR><BR>The area is so remote,relatively speaking, I think you will do better<BR>to have a car. I know the quanitness of visiting a village without a car is an attraction, but to see the area, you need a car, in my experience. We had one and felt that without it we would have been stuck.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 05:53 AM
bettyk

Look at Abtenau. Nice little town, with great skiing nearby. It is in the Dachstein area and not far from Gross Glockner. We stayed at the Hotel Lammertalerhof right in town.<BR>http://www.lammertalerhof.at/. Here's another website to check out. http://www.lammertal.com/en/orte/abtenau.shtml<BR><BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Emily

Hi Paige,<BR>Berchtesgaden would be a great area, although you would technically be in Germany. The high alpine peaks that surround this charming village offer fabulous hiking. While I have not hiked there in the winter, I do know that some of the trails are actually cleared for winter hiking. They are well marked and there are English trail maps available. If you stay in the town itself, you can easily see everything on foot, and there are busses available to get to the h

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 07:54 AM
Emily

OK, sorry, I leaned on the laptop and it sent my message!!<BR><BR>There are plenty of busses available to get you to the hiking/sightseeing areas. You could even take the train/bus to Salzburg for the day.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Jim

Paige,<BR>You might want to check out St. Gilgen on Wolfgangsee not too far from Salzburg.No car needed there. You can visit other small towns by boat on the Wolfgangsee or take old steam cogwheel train up the mountain.