Which salt mine tours are best?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of next month, we'll be spending a week in the Salzburg area & we'd like to do a salt mine tour, so which ones are the best?
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Our family has enjoyed the Berchtesgaden Salt Mine tour. The tour lasts around two hours and is rather enjoyable. We had a rental car during our stay in Salzburg, so I'm not familiar with whether you can reach the mine via public transport.
Old May 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Salt mine in Weiliczka just outside of Krakow is amazing. Berchtesgaden was good but Weiliczka is outstanding.
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM

I like the Hallein Bad Durrnberg salt mine.

http://www.salzwelten.at/salz_en/ind...id=5&Itemid=21

Weiliczka is fantastic,but completely different, and not as much fun for kids. Also not near Salzburg.
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have to assume that most people pick one or another rather than multiple trips, so to me it would seem hard to know which one is "the best".

We were based in Salzburg, so we went on the Hallein Salzbergwerk which was absolutely memorable, especially since it was my birthday! My recollection is that we took a gondola ride from a car park area (although we got there by train)to the top of the hill, then walked down a bit to the entrance. We donned white coveralls, then went into the mine on a mini-train. In the mine, we crossed the Austria/Germany border (which was kind of cool!), went down a long miner's slide and took a boat underneath across a salt lake.

We were there during a major heat wave, so going into the very chilly mine in mid-summer was a fabulous way to cool off!
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:26 AM

Surfergirl - You no longer take a gondola to the top of the hill. Instead you take a 'train' into the mine and walk. I did the gondola when I first took the tour in '70, but not when I was there last Dec. Also the first time there were 7 slides. now there are two. Still a great tour.
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the info bigtyke -- a pity -- I did like the gondola ride! I remember 2 slides, but they were good ones!
Old May 25th, 2012, 05:51 AM

I was wondering if there are any salt mines near Vienna. We will rent a car and take a day trip one day, but the Salzburg area seems too far for a day trip (overnight isn't possible). The mines look like a lot of fun, and will be a nice break from what is largely a city vacation this time.

Thanks for any direction you can provide.