Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Diff. Prices In RENFE vs Raileurope website For Same Trains?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2012, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Am trying to book train tickets for Spain (Madrid-Seville, Seville-Granada, Granada-Barcelona). Ticket prices are much lower (by 30-50 %!!!) on RENFE website as against Raileurope website. Is this normally the case or I am missing some difference in classes? Raileurope uses Second, Flexible Second and First classes. RENFE has turista, turista plus, preferente, club class.

Is there any preferred website to book from, within these two?
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 04:27 AM

RENFE is always the way to go. However the website has it's oddities so you have to be patient.
Read about that here
http://issuu.com/vallausa/docs/how-t...ickets-preview
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 04:34 AM

It's normal. RailEurope traditionally charges more than tickets purchased through the country web sites. You're paying for the flexibility of buying multi-country rail passes and multi-country tickets with one phone call or one web site.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ribeirasacra, I checked out the link..the whole process is explained so well!! It also confirms that tickets bought from RENFE can be printed at home, rather than delivered at home!

Thanks adrienne. I guess RENFE it is then!
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 09:23 AM

I read the instructions on link above and tried to register with Renfe site but unable to because Register Me is blocked. Only shows 2 lines,log in and enter password. Some vendor rental/hotel ad is blocking it. I am looking to buy ticket on Renfe from Burgos to Hendaye on early train 9/6/12.
I also need ticket from Santiago Comp. to Burgos if I can get on the site.
I looked at Rail Europe and was prepered to order my tickets until I saw they were charging me $18 postage. The tickets were in 2nd class economy but the postage charge is excessive and should be much less even for Express Mail in US.

I have ordered tickets on SNCF and Bahn many times but this time I had probem as they said my credit card was refused. Master Card said problem is not my credit card. I did see that the Security 3D did not accept it. Any help please? Thank you.,
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM

Cavangal do you mean you clicked the first link in item 4 of the PDF document and you get a hotel website? If so then maybe you have some sort of problem with your PC. The link worked on my PC and my laptop here.
Read the institutions do not click any links in the document just click the following link to see RENFE's website.
http://www.renfe.com/
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Yes, I went to Renfe site. Clicked on Purchase. Can see Sign In, then enter Password but the line under that, Register Me is blocked by some ad. I looked at the PDF and read thru instructions. RE Item 4, not sure if I noticed , do you mean Page 4. Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 10:33 PM

Nope sorry you have lost me...I do not get any popup with advertising.

Anyone else???
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your browser settings. You should be able to block pop-ups.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM

I have a very low rate of success with the RENFE website. I think that in 13 years of riding the RENFE trains at least twice a year, I've been able to complete an online purchase once.

The advantage of using the website is mainly for those who can purchase their tickets way in advance. RENFE just recently extended the window for advance purchases from 60 to 120 days. The fares for those tickets is ridiculously low, but the available tickets sell out very quickly, frequently within minutes of the posting.

I learned on this board that RENFE recently authorized its brokers (raileurope and petrabax.com are two examples) to sell those same advance purchase cheap tickets, and many people on the Camino de Santiago forum I'm on have successfully bought advanced purchase tickets through petrabax. They charge a booking fee (I've been told petrabax is cheaper than raileurope, but I don't know that from personal experience; I have used raileurope). Even with the booking fee, you'll be way ahead if you use one of those sites for the advance purchase web fares.

My son was in Spain a few weeks ago and tried purchasing RENFE tickets both on line and over the phone. He was unable to do so. He tried the debit card, and the cards of his other traveling companions but no luck. Finally, someone on the phone told him that the problem was that he was using a non-Spain credit card.

Now that I'm over 60, I've stopped worrying about it because in-person rates are 40% off. If you buy a tarjeta dorada, I think it's called, for 5 euros for a year, you get 40% off all tickets bought in person. And the discount is for both RENFE trains and Cercanias, so you can use the train to get to the center of Madrid from Barajas much more quickly and even more cheaply than taking the metro.

There are so many threads about the frustrations of RENFE's website that I think it deserves a separate category on the forum!
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Cavangal, try to go this guide and try again - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...ts.Online.html

Check your computer and browser settings with the one mentioned in this guide
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 11:26 AM

Have read above responses and realize its not my computer as too many other travelers are having same difficulty. I need tickets for travel on Sept. 5 or 6 so maybe this is part of the problem, since I read above they want bookings 60 days in advance!

So far have no response from Rail Europe about the excessive charge for mailing 2 tickets.

I will try petrabax again and see if I can get one of the cheaper fares they list; if not I'm waiting till I get to station in Spain and will buy the Gold Card so that will make total much less. I know there is some risk that there might not be a seat but since I am traveling solo it might be worth the chance as I will be in Santiago COMP for overnight before going to Burgos.

Maybe my luck will change in the meantime. Thanks to all.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 11:37 AM

I recently purchased tickets on the Rail Europe site and printed them on my computer which avoids a delivery charge.

Renfe was proving impossible... I purchased my first set of tickets on their site on the first try. Unfortunately I was unable to get any other purchases through no matter how many cards I tried or calls I made.
Old Aug 10th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Ireynold1, sorry you faced so much trouble in booking through RENFE. I guess petrabax and others are good substitutes. Although, raileurope seems to be charging a lot more (in my case, exactly 34% more for like-to-like trains, dates & seat classes).

jerseysusan, I could print tickets and save PDF tickets on my computer after booking on RENFE website today. I was lucky that all 3 train ticket bookings went more or less smooth today.

Cavangal, try your luck again, else others have shared substitute websites. Try another browser, maybe firefox or chrome.

All, I have just shared my (longish) post on first experience of using RENFE for booking tickets. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-on-renfe.cfm
If it is of any help.
Old Aug 11th, 2012, 10:26 AM

I tried Petrabax again last night but did not book as they offered me only the most expensive tickets, costing even more than Euro Rail. Euro Rail responded to my email that UPS charge of $18 is standard, its alot for 2 tickets, so I refused to book with them.
I will be in Santiago Compostela overnight and will buy the Gold Card before leaving for Burgos. If I cannot get the train to Hendaye then I'll go on Alsa bus. Hopefully something will give and I will have time to get the best deal.

I gave up on Renfe even though I tried Mastercard and seems they do not accept a UK Maestro Card. I just wasn't able to register on the site but seems its a problem for a lot of travelers. Thanks for all the support received.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 12:08 AM

Maestro card is not a credit card. RENFE accept only CC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_%28debit_card%29
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Cavangal, I believe standard credit cards should work on RENFE. Did you try with any other card? Further, for registration, did you try any other browser?