Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a hotel in Salzburg - Grodig actually

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Mazzy

Years ago (about 7) I stayed at a hotel called Hotel Grodig in Grodig, (obviously) Austria. I am dying to stay there again on my return visit in September. Can anyone give me any recent info on this hotel? I can not find a website, email or even a fax number.
Thanks so much

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:28 PM
Bob Brown

I was in Grödig last summer where we stayed for 2 nights at the Sallerhof.
It is a pension rather than a hotel.
I did not see a Hotel Grödig when we were there wandering around looking for a place to eat, and just seeing what was there. It might be there and we missed it.

The Sallerhof had a very good breakfast with plenty of good food and a wide variety. The rooms were acceptable.
The bed was about the size of an American king size, so it was plenty large enough for the two of us.
The bathroom was ok, with a shower.
So if you cannot find the Hotel Grödig, try the Sallerhof. The price is right, parking is free, and the place fills up most nights.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 06:41 PM
Bob Brown

http://salzburg.nethotels.com/nethotels/deutsch/hotels/hotelgroedig

GUESS WHAT. I found it.
Try the above URL. It is for the hotel you mentioned. Shows how much I saw!!
It is righty there in the suburb of Grödig!! I probably fell over it and did not know it.
The address is Neue-Heimat-Straße 15, 5082 Grödig, Österreich
The telephone is 43 676 83710485
The price for a double room is 55 euros per night.
The web site is in German and English. One reason you might not have found the place is because it is listed only in German.
The German spelling is Grödig, with the o - umlaut, which is a different letter than a plain o. Try searching under Grödig and I bet you find it. You make the o - umlaut by holding down ALT and typing 148 on the numerical keypad.

The web site has an English version, as you might expect around Salzburg.
To find the English version, look in the upper right corner. There is a little drop down box that says Choose Language. You can choose the English version.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Mazzy

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I can not thank you enough. I had suspected it had something to do with the umlaut but I do not know how to type that with my keyboard. I am not sure you can on an American system, can you?

Thank you again. Whenever my friend and I remember that trip we can't help but look off in the distance, sigh and say Grodig... It was all about that hotel and the service. I am very appreciative!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Bob Brown

My keyboard speaks with a Southern drawl, but the ö is made quite easily if you have enough fingers!!

Hold down the ALT key, and while holding it down, type 1 4 8
on the numerical key pad. Don't type at the top or the numbers will not produce the character. I must be done from the numerical pad.

All of the German and French special letters, and probably others, can be made from the numerical key pad. For example, the ü is made with ALT 129, the ä is made with ALT
132, and ö is made with ALT 148.
The capitol letters can be made, too.
The Ö is made with ALT 153.

I guess I was more interested in finding a place to eat last summer than I was in finding hotels. We already had a room at the Sallerhof, but it is a pension. Therefore we had to go elsewhere to eat dinner.
Like I say, I probably fell over it and did not know it.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Mazzy

Bob, thanks again. I never knew that my keboard could do that. How in the world did you find out? And if you ever find yourself back in the Salzburg/Grödig area you should definately try the Argentine restaurant at the Hotel Grödig. The food was superb, at least it was back then. I can't wait to see if present reality stands up to past memory.