Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a fun city to spend New Years Eve 2002

Jan 23rd, 2002, 01:22 PM
Mary

I know it's early but.... We've decided to start a new trend with another couple and go to various places on New Years Eve. My husband and I have been to many European cities such as London, Paris, Rome, Venice, Stockholm, Copenhagen, etc. The other couple we are planning to travel with has never been out of the US and so I'm really trying to sell them on European travel.

If it were just us I'd say Paris but I'm afraid that Paris might turn our friends off because the people can be....well...not very friendly.

We all live near Boston MA and Boston does a great First Night celebration. I'm wondering if other cities in Europe do the same? Any recommendations?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:52 PM
melva

Amsterdam, it is unbelivable. Trust me, on this.
Melva

Jan 23rd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Mary

Thanks Melva.

Okay now let me clarify one thing. We're late 30's/early 40's. I wish I had done Amsterdam when I was 20. I think I've missed the boat on that one for nightlife!

Any other suggestions?

Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:05 PM
ingrid

I second Amsterdam (even if you're 40 . New Years is a big celebration in the Netherlands with great fireworks. There are a lot of interesting sights (museums, the flea markets, day trip to Delft or the sea, Indonesian food, just to name a few) in Amsterdam and the people are friendly. You can have a great time without visiting the hash cafes and the red light district.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:21 PM
Linda

Berlin, Vienna or Prague. All absolutely wonderful cities with lots to do.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:31 PM
kiwi

Why are you traveling with peoplewho are not very friendly? Sounds like it could really put a damper on your trip.

Jan 24th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Sheila

Edinburgh.
Look at the web site

www.hogmanay.co.uk (I think)

Jan 24th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Mary

Kiwi...I didn't mean OUR friends weren't friendly, I meant the Pariseans.

Jan 24th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Barbara

Another vote for Edinburgh. Several days of activities leading up to New Year's Eve (Hogmanay). Great, traditional Scottish holiday. Huge fireworks display at midnight - can be seen all over the city. Very friendly people who speak English - well, more or less!

Jan 24th, 2002, 11:45 AM
bbb

Why not save money and stay in the good ole US of A , my vote is for BRANSON

Jan 24th, 2002, 11:47 AM
L

Oh, those cold and unfriendly folks who reside in Paris. Will they never be nice!! Better not venture there for NYE. Instead, stay closer to home ... you already have those wonderfully warm new englanders right there in the boston area ... what could be cheerier. Lets just all stay well away from Paris until those folks learn to be friendlier to us!! Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Ciao

Jan 24th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Denise

Hi Mary:

My partner & I were in Vienna for New Year's 2001/02. It was amazing, thousands upon thousands of people roaming various venues set up by the city. Lots of little "punch & sausage" booths with revellers galore wearing "pig hats"? The party starts at 2:00 p.m. in the afternoon & at the stroke of midnight the Blue Danube plays & everybody waltzes, old and young, incredibly beautiful & set against St. Stephens Church, the Graben & Rathaus. Still brings a chill! During the day they have special performances at the Musikverin & State Opera Houses. We saw the Boys Choir, the Lippizaners (Walter Cronkite was there too), and a Strauss Concert. On New Year's day an operetta Die Fleidermaus, excellent. Don't forget the palaces, history, desserts, I'd go back in a heatbeat to do it again. The locals were great & with every attempt made at helping you bridge the language gap.

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:29 PM
melva

Mary,
I still stand by my suggeston of Amsterdam. You did ask for a city that was fun on New Year's...the fireworks are awesome! As for, the age thing, we are in our late-40's, and the nightlife is not why we go to Amsterdam. It is a beautiful city and the people encountered are very friendly, we may be missing out on the nightlife, but, Oh well, no loss.
Melva

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:40 PM
c

You know-I spent a birthday not too long ago in Paris...wow, what an unfriendly bunch they were! When my husband booked dinner for that night, he mentioned it was a birthday celebration-well, after dinner, my husband asked for the check and they came out carrying a little fondant au chocolat with a sparkler on it and they served us champagne! My husband had NOT asked for any of this! soo unfriendly~
The desk clerk greeted me that morning with a Happy Birthday, Madame...they are soooo unfriendly!
Every time we go to Paris, I have to deal with those unfriendly Parisians, the ones that are most difficult are the waiters who think that I cannot speak French,so they do everything they can to help me understand the menu, even going so far as to mime things, to the great amusement of all, including the other unfriendly Parisians in the room.Yes-L is correct, stay away from France~

Jan 25th, 2002, 05:33 AM
NC

LOL- I can tell you how unfriendly the French are! My friend and I were walking in the late afternoon on the narrow sidestreets on the Left Bank.She slipped and twisted her ankle on the cobblestones.With my help, she managed to hobble into a shop and we told the man behind the desk, as best we could, what happened.He hurried into the back of the store, came back out with a towel soaked in cold water, and wrapped it around her ankle.Then he called a cab for us..and changed the towel when it got warm.By the time we got back to the hotel,her ankle already looked better.We are sure it would have been much more swollen and painful if we had waited to treat it until we got back to the hotel.So, yeah,the French are really un-friendly-uncaring-leave em alone!