Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a decent, convenient hotel in Paris. I've narrowed it down...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my first trip to Paris in several years, finally! But I'll be on my own...I'm looking at Hotel De La Bourdonnais or One By Five. The Bourdonnais is way old school, but super convenient; One By Five is super contemporary, fairly convenient but not as much as the Bourdonnais. Both are in the same price range (about $125). What would you do?
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 12:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of year? Any possibility of an air conditioning issue? I'd do what I thought was best and in your case it sounds like convenience is the issue. Since you haven't defined that it is hard to know.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 04:59 AM

A "decent" hotel? One by Five's basic rate, on its website before early-booking discount, is over $600 US a night in December. For my budget, that's way indecent. How did you find $125? Or are we looking at different places? http://onebythefive.com/
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Agree - looked at the website and early nonrefundable booking is 384 euros per night for the basic double. Have you found some incredible discount?
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 08:17 AM

We stayed in the quad room at the Hotel de la Bourdonnais, about 7 years ago. I chose it because I wanted a full-on view of the Eiffel Tower from our little balcony.

Location of the hotel was good for us, with kids, because there was a decent-sized market next door, the Champs de Mars is across the street, transit is close by, and the Rue Cler market is also very close. You can easily walk to the Seine, and catch Batobus to ride to the Louvre, etc.

The hotel was fine, but nothing special. It was clean, but the bathroom could have used a face-lift. Maybe they have renovated since we were there. I think we paid $225, without breakfast.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM

$125/night (€95) doesn't buy you much in Paris, regardless of the time of year and certainly not at the One by the Five Paris... Even the 3-star Hotel De La Bourdonnais is well above your budget.
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM

well, very different (hven't stayed in either, aware of and seen both), but either is a bargain at $125/night, but especially One by Five. Are you sure of these rates? The Bourdonnais is often around 150 euro a night with a discount (eg, 3 nights) and that's a lot more than $125.

I don't believe you could get One by Five for $125 a night and wonder if you saw a rate per night and assumed it was for your entire stay?

If this were really true, I don't know what I'd do, actually. I prefer traditional hotels like the Bourdonnais in terms of decor but prefer the location of the One by Five. I stay in that area often and like it better. However, that hotel is a bit farther to the metro stop (the bus running along that street is great, though, I take it often but it mainly goes E-W and over to the Bastille area).
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

I found it off the internet, and it must be a last minute rate because I'm headed to Paris in 2 weeks. I'll just be there for four nights.

Thanks for your input!
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM

I'd check tat rate closely I looked at Dec rates and for a double room they started at 600 dollars and went to over a thousand for certain stays!!!
Old Dec 7th, 2012, 09:59 AM

I goofed up my post, I meant did you see a rate that maybe you thought was for an entire stay (ie, 4 days) and it really was the rate per night. Well, if you really can't decide and like the style okay, I'd grab it because you will likely never get it at that rate again whereas $125 for the Bourdonnais is cheap, but not so shockingly so. And I also wondered if that at least was really euros, not dollars, as $125 is less than 100 euros. The location of One by Five isn't that bad, there are some good restaurants around there, one of my faves is about across the street.

But I'd really like to go what website this is as those rates are truly bargains, last minute or not. And the Xmas/NY holidays are the most expensive time of the year in Paris hotels. It just doesn't seem possible. The cheapest hotel lastminute.com has for a few days before Christmas is 140 euro per night (and that's a 2*), for example.

so if you book this incredible deal, let us know!
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

I looked closer and the rate was, indeed, for the One by Five per night. However, the room is 95 square feet! I'm guessing this must be a weird addition to their hotel, like a spare closet. LOL. The room rates jump dramatically after that!
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM

For the life of me, I can't find the rate you found at this hotel. Is it listed someplace other than on their official website? If the rate -- and the booking agent -- are legit and you can survive a 95 sq. ft. room, I'd say go for it. Do post when you return and let us know how it turned out.
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 03:56 PM

The OP said she had mistaken the rate per night for the rate for all 4 night - so agreed - about $600 per night.
Old Jan 1st, 2013, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

@Crckwc1 I didn't take the 95 square foot hotel room. It might have been an adventure, but no....no closets for me! I think I found it via tripadvisor.

@Nytraveler, i didn't mistake the rate per night, it was correct....but the cheap rate was for a 95-square-foot room.