Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Looking for a charming small Bavarian town within 1 to 1 1/2 hours east of Frankfurt airport

Looking for a charming small Bavarian town within 1 to 1 1/2 hours east of Frankfurt airport

Aug 6th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Looking for a charming small Bavarian town within 1 to 1 1/2 hours east of Frankfurt airport

We will be coming in from the Czech Republic/Poland area. I am looking for a small atmosphere filled town to spend our last night in Europe. Preferably something under 5 to 10 thousand people. Anyone have any ideas? Recommendations on moderatly priced (under 75 E) places to stay would also be appreciated. We love to stay in small family run gasthauses and inns. The town needs to be no more than 1.5 hours to the airport. An hour away would be even better. thanks.
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:58 AM

You won't find "Bavarian" near Frankfurt, of course...

This recent post asked a similar question:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34421002
Aug 6th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the URL from an old post. I guess I didn't realize that the boundaries of Bavaria are that far away from Frankfurt. Is Hesse what I would be looking for? Thanks.

Still looking for more ideas as many of those on the other old post are in the oppositte direction of where we will be coming from. we are soming in from the east.
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:18 PM

Try a middle Rhine town such as Boppard, St. Goar or Bacharach. Lots of castles in the area along the Rhine and just watching from a river front hotel the constant never ending procession of trains on both sides of the river and merchant boats from all nations to me was very interesting. Your price and time line would work well here also.

Larry J
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:47 PM

If you are coming from the east, you won't want to stay on the Rhine. Wurzburg is east of Frankfurt, about an hour's drive from the airport. It isn't a "small" town. It's a beautiful university town well worth visiting. Continuing on east is Aschaffenburg. It's much smaller and only 50km from Frankfurt. I've never stayed there but I'm sure an internet search will reveal some economical spots. Enjoy your stay!
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:56 PM

Actually, julies' geography isn't so bad. Bavaria is a gigantic "Land" that can be reached by driving due east from Frankfurt for maybe 10 miles (once you reach "Kahl", just east of Hanau, you're in Bavaria.)

I would suggest looking into Miltenberg, Michelstadt, or maybe Seligenstadt, all very scenic little towns with lots of "Fachwerk" (half-timbered buildings) and lots of character. All are a bit southeast of Frankfurt - Seligenstadt just south of Hanau, Miltenberg south of Aschaffenburg, Michelstadt southeast of Darmstadt near Erbach. Sorry, no specific accommodations.

The Rhine is beautiful, but it would involve substantially more driving, taking you some distance northwest of Frankfurt, then requiring you to backtrack to the airport.
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:53 AM

Try Hirshhorn, 15 miles east of heidelburg. Very beautiful, nice castle. You can make it to Frankfurt in the time you mentioned. can't help you with hotels as I mostly camp.
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:59 AM
jmw

Hi, I enthusiastically second Miltenberg, southeast of Frankfurt and a lovely little town. Don't know the population. Do an image search at Altavista to take a look. J.

Aug 7th, 2003, 04:15 AM

There's a town called Aschaffenburg aprox. 25-35 min ride from airport frankfurt, it lies in bavaria. Very charming - my favourite hotel in this area is found under :www.weyberhoefe.de - in a natural forest habitat you will encounter a dream of a small renovated castle - which will definately give you a wonderful last night - also the city, aschaffenburg - lies wonderfully on the benches of the river main with wineries. This part of bavaria is called "Franken", which is renown for the fine dry "Frankenwines".

Aug 8th, 2003, 08:29 AM

we love rothenburg o.b. tauber, se of frankfurt....
we stay at the klingentor gasthof, just outside one of the city gates...free parking and good restaurant...simple [email protected]

65 euro in november for double with breakfast
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Some of the suggestions here are a little off-base. If you are coming from the Czech Republic and heading west toward Frankfurt you will presumably be traveling on Autobahn A3. With that in mind, you should probably pick a town that is close to an Autobahn exit. I can recommend several very picturesque little towns - all within 1.5 hours of the Frankfurt Airport and all in Bavaria: Marktbreit, Frickenhausen, Ochsenfurth, Wertheim, and Mespelbrunn. Mespelbrunn is the closest to the airport and has a beautiful castle surrounded by water. Near this castle you will find plenty of accommodation at reasonable prices. One I can recommend even has an inddor swimming pool. (highly recommended if you like to swim in the nude).

Search this Thread