Reload this Page >

Looking for a beautiful, but short driving route in Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Sharon

Author: Sharon ([email protected])<BR>Date: 04/23/2002, 12:58 pm<BR>Message: Hello to all, and thanks for the suggestion to be more specific in my message title:<BR><BR>A conference brings my husband to Sarpsborg (S.E. of Oslo)in late June, and I am impulsively tagging along. I need advice on what to see in the very few days of free time we have. We have thought about the Nutshell, but are leaning more towards driving for its flexibility. Can you suggest a beautiful driving route, and a scenic/historic place to say overnight? This place doesn't have to be a town on everyone's itinerary such as Bergen. We can leave Sarpsborg around noon on Friday, and need to be back in Oslo Sunday night. Too short, so we want to make it sweet! Also, any ideas on a small but not necessarily elegant/expensive hotel in Oslo? Thanks for any advice!<BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Joe

Sharon: Drive from Oslo to Lillehammer and then Lom. From Lom drive seven miles to Roishem, a 16th century farm. Stay in their authentic cabins and dine on wonderful cusine in their dinning room. The decor is antique, the staff very freindly and in authentic dress and the dinning room is beautiful (in a farmstead kind of way, instead of elegent). The walks and hikes in the area are wonderful. The next day, drive to the Lustra Fjord (you are in fjord country) to Kaupanger. Take the ferry to Aurland. Spend the night here, perhaps at the cozy Aabelheim Pension. The next day, drive the Southerly route back to Oslo. A lot of driving but time to see a little of the country and the scenery is beautiful. <BR>Coming from Oslo, we spent a half day at the outdoor museum at Lillehammer and still made Roishem early enough to hike and wander the area. The Roishem facility has a website labled just Roishem. A good search engine (google) will find it. It is in Norwegian only, but click on the titles on the left margin (in the red) and you will get plenty of pictures. A phone and fax number are listed as well.<BR>There is a Norwegian fellow named Bjorn out of Oslo. If he sees your message, he will offer help and advice. He found Roishem for me. He knows the area well. Have a great trip.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Sharon

Hi Joe,<BR>Thanks so much for your very helpful e-mail--your response was exactly what I was hoping for. I'll also keep a look out for Bjorn. Again, many thanks for the thoughtful & kind reply!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Lisa

I second the recommendation for the Roisheim. It remains one of our favorite hotels anywhere. They even lent us their dog to take on a hike, as were suffering from doglessness. Their food was excellent and the room was memorable. The link to their site is:<BR>http://www.roisheim.no/

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Joe

Sharon: My pleasure. By the way, Linda's spelling of Roisheim (not Roishem)is correct. In Oslo, we discovered a great little Italian Restaurant if you are interested. It was pretty late one evening and we were having a hard time finding anything open. We stumbled across Trattoria Roma in the downtown area and went in for a light dinner. We were so impressed with the food and service we decided to go back for a full dinner. It was very good. <BR>Don't miss the Resistence Museum at the Citidal (old fort above the harbor). Fascinating! Also, an Archipelago Boat Tour is really beautiful. Again, have a great trip.