Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking for a 3 month stay near Belfast with motorhome... big garden/farm field (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-for-a-3-month-stay-near-belfast-with-motorhome-big-garden-farm-field-1699873/)

MarijkefromBelgium Aug 25th, 2021 09:07 AM

Looking for a 3 month stay near Belfast with motorhome... big garden/farm field

Hello,
I am a Belgian woman (46 years old) and I will be doing an internship as a veterinary nurse in a practice for 3 months in Belfast, from the 13th of September till the 7th of December 2021. I am coming with my motorhome and I am looking for a place to stay. Maybe people who have a big garden or a farmer with a field where there is some extra room... Preferably with a connection to water and electricity... I will of course pay a fee for the use of the water and electricity. The place doesn't have to be in Belfast. I am bringing my car also, so a maximum of 30 minutes drive to Belfast will also be perfect: I am near Gilnahirk so Lisburn, Hillsborough, etc. All good!
I will be very respectful to my surroundings: no littering, no noise (I love peace and quiet), etc. and I will respect the privacy of the person(s) who are living there.
So if someone has a solution for me (could also be via friends or family), just let me know! Thank you for the help!
Kind regards,
Marijke

thursdaysd Aug 25th, 2021 01:05 PM

Why don't you ask the people with whom you'll be working? They are MUCH more likely to know somewhere, and whether it's actually legal.

Or try this: https://www.camping-ireland.ie/

MarijkefromBelgium Aug 25th, 2021 01:36 PM

Hi thursdaysd,

Thanks for your reply! I have asked the people who I will be working with... They are also looking out for me... But it is only a small practice and since I haven't heard anything from them since almost 2 weeks concerning my question, I assume there's nobody from the colleagues that has a solution form me... So that is why I'm asking the people on travel fora now :))
Cheers, Marijke

janisj Aug 25th, 2021 02:26 PM

Maybe you can find something helpful on this part of the Visit Belfast Tourist Office website . . . https://visitbelfast.com/stay/camping-and-caravans/

At least there might be some properties you can contact for other ideas/suggestions.

or this one - https://discovernorthernireland.com/...nd-caravanning

thursdaysd Aug 25th, 2021 04:08 PM

Although the link I posted also led to caravan parks, I suspect the OP is looking for something more, err, informal.... Which is why I suggested she needed to investigate the legal situation in Ireland.

janisj Aug 25th, 2021 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by thursdaysd (Post 17277496)
Although the link I posted also led to caravan parks, I suspect the OP is looking for something more, err, informal.... Which is why I suggested she needed to investigate the legal situation in Ireland.

. . . which is why I suggested considering more, err - 'formal' arrangements ;)

MarijkefromBelgium Aug 25th, 2021 10:40 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

But campsites are way too expensive for me, especially for staying there permanently for 3 months... I'm not getting paid for the internship so I have to watch my budget... so yes, that's why I was asking about more 'informal' solutions...

Greetings,

Marijke

hetismij2 Aug 26th, 2021 06:02 AM

Are you on Facebook or similar? Maybe you can put out a request that way and see what comes up.
You are allowed to stay on land with the owners consent in NI just as you are in England and Wales.
You will also need to consider how you empty your waste water tank and toilet. Not everyone has facilities for chemical toilets, even ones using eco friendly chemicals, and you don't want to be draining your waste water onto the ground.
Maybe your vet's practice has a carpark you can stay on?
Perhaps the thing to do is start off with a week or two on a campsite and ask around once you get there.

Good luck with it. I hope the Brexit border controls don't stymie things for you. I have heard of people being turned back even though they had a legal right to enter the UK.

thursdaysd Aug 26th, 2021 07:26 AM

For some reason I misread Belfast (UK) as Dublin (Republic of Ireland and EU). I take it that the OP has the correct visa? See: https://www.redfernlegal.com/applyin...1-from-abroad/

MarijkefromBelgium Aug 26th, 2021 07:40 AM

Hello everybody,

Thanks for all the replies and concerns! Much appreciated!
Yesterday I have indeed made a profile on Facebook and I have put the same request out there and I got already 2 people who have a place for me in their garden:))
So I am very happy!

I know about the issue of the black water tank, I will empty the tank only at official dumping places: camping sites, gas stations with these facilities, etc. I will never do that in nature or at the place where I will stay so I know that every week I will have to do the tour to the dumping station!
And no worries concerning Brexit, I passed the UK with my motor home on my way to Ireland, besides a few checks and questions, no problems whatsoever...

And as a student, I don't need a visa for only staying 3 months, I can stay up to 6 months visa free...
I checked it all guys ;))))

Kind regards,
Marijke

thursdaysd Aug 26th, 2021 07:53 AM

And as a student, I don't need a visa for only staying 3 months, I can stay up to 6 months visa free...
As a student, OK, but you will be working.

MarijkefromBelgium Aug 26th, 2021 08:29 AM

I hope to be working in the Republic and if they want me in Northern Ireland, I will happily apply for a visa then... I don't see the problem... :nervous:
Kind regards,
Marijke

Macross Aug 26th, 2021 12:10 PM

I am so glad you found something. I was about to say put an inquiry on the Belfast forum on Tripadvisor. There are some very nice people there. There is also housesitters facebook page. You could always trade a bit of animal care for a spot in the garden. Sounds like a very interesting internship. Back in the day I was a vet tech and loved it but hated the owners. Best of luck to you.

MarijkefromBelgium Aug 26th, 2021 02:11 PM

Hi Macross,

They have banned this exact same message on Tripadvisor :))) I don't know why...
Thank you for your kind words!
I am still studying to become a veterinary nurse so I still need to learn the ropes but we're almost there. Normally graduating in January. I'm very excited to do this internship... You guys here and in the Uk are on a complete other/higher level than we in Belgium so i hope to learn a lot!
I can imagine that some owners can be a bit a pain in the ass but you do it all to help the animals who deserve our best :)))
Kind regards,

Marijke

Christina Aug 27th, 2021 09:49 AM

They banned it on TA because it violates their terms of service. Fodors is very lenient and allows about anything. TA is pretty strict that their forums are only for travel advice. What you posted is not only not travel, but you are soliciting things from people.

I'm surprised anyone who knows TA's forums would suggest that is a good place for such queries. They even usually remove posts asking about neighborhoods to move to in a city and what the area is like, and that could potentially be of some use to travelers. your query could not.

This is one of their terms which I belieew you violated ..
coordinating the exchange of money (including real estate purchases, rentals, cost-sharing, resale of rooms or tickets, etc.) are not allowed