Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for 5-day touring plans in Amalfi coast

Mar 13th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I are planning a visit to Italy, and want to spend 4-5 days on the Amalfi Coast. We would be grateful for any ideas, or better yet a comprehensive travel plan, to get the most out of our time there. We do want to visit Capri, and spend a little time on the water (1/2 - 1 day). The rest of the time we are into anything (shopping, browsing, people watching), with an emphasis on eating and drinking!!
Mar 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Any interest in Pompeii, Naples, hiking? What time of year? Will you rely entirely on public trans? Do you know where you'll stay/base? Is "a little time on the water" beyond the time spent on ferries, as in a boat rental?
Mar 13th, 2010, 02:46 PM

1 day in Pompeii
1 day in Sorrento
1 day in Capri
1 day in Positano/Amalfi
1 day in Ravello
Mar 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

We will definitely visit Pompeii. Time on the water would be covered with a visit to Capri. What I am really wondering is what towns to focus on, and what order to visit them in in order to be most efficient.

We are trying to decide on car vs. public transportation. Any recommendations?

We are planning to go at the beginning of August. I know, not an ideal time to visit Italy, but we are stuck with that time period.
Mar 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM

joannyc's list is a good start, but I'd match Amalfi and Ravello (rather than Positano) and probably substitute Naples for Sorrento (and I like Sorrento). It's going to be awfully busy (and hot) in August, though, so you'll have to think carefully about whether you want to attempt this much moving around in 5 days.
Mar 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

By the way, how much time should we spend on Capri? Is a one-day boat tour taking us there and back from Positano enough, or should we spend a night or two there?
Mar 13th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot Jean and joannyc.

Okay, this is what I have put together so far. Any comments/suggestions?

Day 1
Fly to Rome
Take high speed train to Napoli
Tour Napoli
Take hydrofoil to Capri
Stay overnight in Capri
Day 2
Tour Capri
Hang out in Capri
Stay overnight in Capri
Day 3
Take ferry to Positano
Take bus to Amalfi
Stay overnight in Positano
Day 4
Tour Positano
Take bus to Sorrento
Stay overnight in Sorrento
Day 5
Take bus to Pompeii
Tour Pompeii and Herculaneum
Bus to Napoli
Stay overnight in Napoli
Day 6
Take early train back to Rome
Mar 14th, 2010, 03:56 AM

This is an area that I love to go to and have always enjoyed. I agree that Positano would be the choice for a base, although there are always those who prefer other places. For instance, Capri just doesn't do it for me and two nights there would be two too many. A day trip is OK for me.Still it wouldn't do if we all liked the same thing would it?

August on the Amalfi coast is mad and the traffic is very busy. Reagrdless of whether you use a bus or a car, nothing moves quickly once you get towards Positano from Sorrento. Positano is one way in and out in the Summer, so bear that in mind when choosing your hotel. Try and stay near the bus terminus in the village for ease of transport. Positano is a very steep village with lots of steps down to the beach, so you need to be mobile.

The buses or ferries will take you to the major villages along the coast and maybe your time on the water could be gained by using the ferries rather than the buses.

Have a look at http://www.positano.com/ for more information.
Mar 14th, 2010, 06:45 AM

I think you are going to spend more time in crowds, queues and traffic jams than you realize. Plus it is going to be truly hot -- and like a frying pan in Pompeii.

Personally, I would go at this a completely different way.

I would to go to Capri for a few nights to get away from daytripper zoo and the scramble for ferry tickets and see the moonlight on the water and hear the birds in the morning. I'd probably book in Anacapri.

For the other part of my stay, I would get myself a lovely air-conditioned hotel with a pool and a fabulous view in Napoli. In the mornings, take a taxi to the train station and be at Pompeii when it opens. I'd leave in the early afternoon and return to my hotel for a swim, a cocktail on the terrace and a great meal in town. I'd spend some time in the museums of Napoli too.

I'd probably stay in Napoli first and Capri second, depending on the rest of my itinerary and when I needed to catch a plane home. But the other way around would work for me too.
Mar 14th, 2010, 06:50 AM

If you are coming from the US or Canada, your first day is much too ambitious. Someone on Fodors gave us the excellent advice of going from Rome to Salerno and then working our way back to Naples. We took the bus to Amalfi and stayed in Amalfi. Then we took the bus to Sorrento and stayed there, and then went back to Rome through Naples. From Sorrento, you can take the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii and Herculaneum and then on to Naples.

Oh, and we probably would have taken ferries between the towns but we were there in the winter.
Mar 14th, 2010, 06:59 AM

PS: One reason I'm suggesting you put yourselves in Napoli is because it is there you will get the best eating. The funny thing is, given when you are going, Napoli might actually be the most relaxing base! From there you could day trip to Capri by ferry, and come back via Positano. You can easily day trip to Sorrento, and Pompeii. And yet you'd be out of the tourist shove and have the best food every night.

Here's a nice affordable hotel with views of Vesuvius that pulls favorable reviews on Tripadvisor:

http://www.locandadelmare.it/hotel.php
Mar 14th, 2010, 07:12 AM

and this one has a pool:

http://www.italytraveller.com/en/c/r...l-mediterraneo
Mar 14th, 2010, 07:14 AM

artsbabe is right that your Day 1 is not doable, and Salerno would help save your sanity (and good food for your first night). From there you can ferry to Capri the next day.
Mar 14th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Okay, great advice.

Before scrapping our (somewhat) counterclockwise route in favour of a clockwise one starting in Salerno, how about one more try. I would appreciate your comments on this revised itinerary:

Day 1
Arrive in Rome
o Take high speed train to Napoli
o Tour Napoli
o Overnight in Napoli
Day 2 (August 3rd)
 Take early hydrofoil to Capri
o Tour Capri
o Overnight in Capri
Day 3 (August 4th)
 Take ferry to Positano
o Take bus to Amalfi/Ravello
o Overnight in Positano
Day 4 (August 5th)
 Tour Positano
o Overnight in Positano
Day 5 (August 6th)
 Take ferry to Sorrento
o Tour Sorrento
o Overnight in Sorrento
Day 6 (August 7th)
 Take Circumvesuviana to Pompeii/Herculaneum
 Bus to Napoli
 Overnight in Napoli

Day 7 (August 8th)
 Take early high speed train back to Rome (or rent car and drive to Rome)
 Tour Rome
 Stay overnight in Rome
Mar 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM

I think it is doable. For me, though, it would be too much moving around in a short period of time, particularly in the heat of August.
Mar 15th, 2010, 07:01 AM

That's certainly a much more sensible itinerary and perfectly doable.

The moving around from day to day is part of the fun for me and keeps my interest going throughout the holiday. It will be hot, but that would certainly work for me, except the Capri bit, as I said in the earlier post--but again, each to his own.