COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for 3 star hotel within walking distance of Musee D'Orsay and Louvre

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 05:49 PM
fran

Suggestions anyone?

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Surlok

Fran,

Any hotel in the 6th, close to the Seine would be walking distance of both, the closest to Ponte Neuf, the better. I could suggest you Hotel Dauphine, Hotel Le Regent, both at Rue Dauphine, Hotel Millesime, Hotel Danube, Les Deux Continents, Hotel D'Anglaterre, Hotel des Maronniers, all at Rue Jacob, Relais Christine, at Rue Christine, Residence des Arts, Rue St. Andre des Arts, Hotel Saint Germain des Pres, at Rue Bonaparte, Hotel Buci Latin, at Rue de Buci, Prince de Conti,at Rue Guenegaud, and Prince de Conde, at Rue de Seine, Hotel Left Bank, at Rue de l'Ancienne Comedie, among others. Some reservation web sites will show you a map, showing the hotels location.

You can check these hotels at:

http://www.france.com/index.html

I hope it helps.

Regards,

S

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Greg

I have stayed at the Hotel Bellechasse, which is 3 star and within 50 metres of the D'Orsay. Of course you won't get that close to both museums as the Louvre is the other side of the river. For the Bellechasse, expect small rooms but otherwise a very nice hotel with english speaking staff.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:54 PM
c

Hi,fran,we have stayed at the Angleterre on rue Jacob a few times and it is an easy walk to the D'Orsay and across the pont to the Louvre..as well as across to the Ille de la Cite,St Chapelle,Notre Dame and on to Ille St Louis,all from rue Jacob! Surlok has named all the good hotels in that area-she is goood~

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Wayne

I can also recommend the Libertel Bellechasse, just a stone's throw from Musee d'Orsay and the Seine. If you walk down the half block from the hotel to the museum on the banks of the Seine, you can look up the river and see the Louvre, which is only perhaps a 10 to 15 minute walk away. Some rooms are admittedly small, but some are pretty generous, and I love the big breakfast spread they had when I was there last year. Ask to see the room first, and ask for a larger room when you check in. The hotel seems to be clean and efficiently run, and I will stay there again when I visit Paris. This is the hotel that another person called the Hotel Bellechasse; it is actually part of the Libertel chain of moderate French hotels.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 10:03 AM
elaine

Hi
Last year I stayed at the d'Aubusson on rue Dauphine
Excellent little 3-star hotel, all services, charming decor, nicely-sized rooms (at least ours was), good bathroom.
If you're going to stay on the left bank, it's an excellent location, and only a five-minute walk from 2 metro stops.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:03 AM
francine

Hotel Solferino

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Grasshopper

Fran,

We recently stayed at Hotel du Quai Voltaire. It is 500 meters from Orsay and right across the river from the Louvre. The thing I really liked about it was that from our window we saw the Louvre all lit up at night. It was beautiful. It was only a 2 star and about $115 a night but very comfortable and with a fabulous view.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:22 AM
s.fowler

Hotel Bersolys on rue Lille.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 11:25 AM
DLt

Small and elegant - 6eme - Hotel Saint-Thomas d'Aquin, 3, rue dy Pres aux Clercs, just off rue Jacob, and a step or two from the Lenox Hotel, where their bar is a terrific place for that late afternoon coupe de champagne. Some like Deux Magots for the early morning - it's close by, and in DM they leave you alone - you may enjoy a pernod and water (Hemingway reported it would pick you up fast and drop you twice as far) or cafe the next morning.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:56 PM
fran

Just realized I didn't say thanks to all who gave their suggestions...so, thank you!

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:24 PM
andi

Surlok did give a great list, but some of those hotels are more than three stars, e.g. Buci Latin, and Relais Christine (latter looks sublime, would stay there in a heartbeat if the budget permitted). Just returned Sunday, and checked out many of these (I was at Deux Continents, only so-so)for my next trip. Millesime and Maronniers slightly more money than Deux Continents and only advantage seemed to be nicer common areas - rooms same as at Deux Continents. Nicest I saw in that price range (140 euros) was Hotel de Seine on corner of Rue de Seine and Rue Jacob - rooms a cut above the rest in size and quality, lovely lobby. Le Regent also looked very nice. Another one I liked was Hotel L'Odeon, slightly further afield. D'Aubusson (a bit pricer than those I just mentioned) looked great.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Maira

I stayed at Hotel Muguet and absolutely loved it. Located on the 7th arrondissement, walking distance to Musee D'Orsay, the Eiffel Tower, Trocadero and the Invalides, the Hotel Muguet was about $105/dbl, located in a quiet side street (Rue Chevert), but connecting to a really nice neighborhood. If you are drving or plan to rent a car for aday trip ther are two nearby locations: Place Joffre & Invalides Parking (underground). There are two metro stops within walking distance also, Ecole Militaire and Latour-Maubourg. You can see more details and their e-mail address at

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007muguet.htm

I have recommended this hotel countless times and still have to hear a bad word. Have a great time!

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Beth

Just stayed at the Voltaire. Two blocks from the d'Orsay and a bridge away from the Louvre. It is very clean; has a tiny elevator; we had a good size room and bath, with floor to ceiling windows that look out on the Seine and the Louvre. It is not "charming" - no flowered fussy beds or decorations, but good mattresses and pillows and room to move around. There is some street noise, mostly in the a.m. when the commuters start. We paid 122 Euros per night. I think it is rated a 2-star.

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:59 PM
mary

The Brighton Hotel - Right Bank - directly across the river from D'Orsay Museum and 1 block to Louvre. Excellent location.

Old May 16th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Liz Z.

I second the Hotel Muguet. Absolutely charming, spotless, fresh, friendly and quiet.

Liz

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:27 PM
steve

Hotel de l'Univesite and Hotel Lenox St. Germaine would be a couple of other suggestions.

Old May 16th, 2002, 08:23 PM
alison

Hotel Lindbergh is in the 7th district making it close to the Musee d' Orsay. It's a small, charming hotel and the rates are reasonable.

Old May 17th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Emily

Just in a case you decide to stay in the Hotel du Quai Voltaire. It got really bad reviews here. So do your research here before deciding on the one hotel you will stay in.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Beth

I posted this to another question, but thought it might help with the info on the Voltaire.
In April, daughter and I stayed at the Hotel du quai Voltaire for 122 Euros per night (about $105?). We had a good size room with twin beds (edge to edge), two desk units, two chairs, and a huge wall unit with rod, shelving and drawers, plus room for the suitcases on top. There was even a little entry area as you came into the room. The bath was quite large - sink, bidet, toilet along the wall, and tub at back wall. There have been mixed reviews on this hotel which is why I am being so specific. The desk clerks were helpful, some even pleasant with that French sense of humor. The women who did the rooms and served in the breakfast area were all smiles and welcoming. Breakfast was a small menu, with the roll/baguette/cafe going for about 8 Euros. Eggs and cereal were also available. We were on the (American) 4th floor and our floor to ceiling windows opened onto the Seine and the Louvre directly across. It was clean and the location was wonderful. The drawback was that it is in a art gallery/antique area, and a few blocks walk to any "charming" cafes on the street. Great though for running all a.m., popping back in for a short break, and then out again. You do have to walk across the bridge to the right bank to catch the metro (what a chore to have to cross the Seine and past the Louvre every day). Rue du Bac was just two blocks away, and a fortune could be spent prowling that street. And, yes there was some traffic noise, but it acted as an automatic wake up in the a.m. - when the commute started, it was time to be up and out!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO