Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Looking American (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/looking-american-119424/)

Gerry K Apr 20th, 2001 01:46 PM

Looking American

What with all of the posts regarding, "not <BR>looking American," when in Europe, I've <BR>been wondering just what clothing I shouldn't <BR>take to Holland next month. Any suggestions? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Gerry K <BR> <BR>PS: Is a baseball cap really that conspicuous?

carol Apr 20th, 2001 01:54 PM

There's nothing wrong with looking american. It's quite a wonderful thing to be. And a smart, friendly, happy, curious, respectful foreign tourist/traveler is also a wonderful thing to be. We just shouldn't dress in a way that people find offensive, and we'll probably be happier if we're not dressed in a way that locals view as not exactly "offensive" but maybe weird or comical.

Marilyn Ham Apr 20th, 2001 02:03 PM

This is a popular subject and has been discussed before. When we went to Europe the first time, we made an effort to fit in as best we could. The advice I used was--no sweats, no tennis shoes, no shorts and remember there is a clothing code for most churches--no sleeveless tops, etc. Take comfortable clothes that are a wrinkle resistant--such as a nice pair of slacks perhaps in black or dark brown, nice blouse or shirt in white, with a jacket in black or brown, and a pair of Rockports or good shoes--this is just an example. In Europe they don't wear as many casual clothes out and about, although don't get me wrong you do see them--on Americans, as well as Europeans. Marilyn

Capo Apr 20th, 2001 03:30 PM

Haven't been anywhere in Holland other than Amsterdam, but I actually find the people in Amsterdam to be the most "American-looking" (i.e. casual) in their style of dress...compared to people in cities like Paris, Barcelona, and Rome anyway. <BR> <BR>As for the baseball caps, I certainly can't say that NO Europeans wear them, since I'm sure some do, but every time *I've* seen a person wearing one, and I've been close enough to hear them talk, I find that they're an American.

John Apr 20th, 2001 05:30 PM

Gerry K: <BR>What's so bad about appearing American? <BR>In the last 6 months my wife and I have traveled to Australia, New Zealand, England, Scotland, France and The Netherlands. Everyone we met along the way enjoyed meeting us and vice versa. Most were very interested in our politics which we were quick to discuss. In return, we were interested in discussing their heritage as well as what to see and do while visiting their country. All of this while looking American and proud to be one. We never once experienced any negativism about "... looking American". Relax and enjoy your visit to Holland. Europeans are a lot more sophisticated then you give them credit for.

Linda Apr 20th, 2001 05:39 PM

Thank you, John. You put into words what I have been thinking for a long time. They'll probably know you are American as soon as you open your mouth and out comes the "un-Queen's English". And yes, I'm proud to be an American. I try very hard not to wear clothes that would be offensive to anyone in my host country, making sure I dress conservatively. But all the same, I'm still who I am and proud to be that. There is no way I'm going to look Italian or Parisian--I simply don't have access to the resources for my entire vacation wardrobe. (If I bought all the "right clothes" I wouldn't be able to afford my vacation.) So I go as me.

StCirq Apr 20th, 2001 06:58 PM

I'd sworn off answering these types of posts because of the hostility they engender, but as I sat peering out the fogged window of a café on the rue de Rennes in Paris last Wednesday I found myself focusing on exactly what the issue with "appearing American in Europe is." I was trapped in this café for an hour because of terribly inclement weather and had the chance to see literally hundreds of people walk by, and a couple of dozen enter the café as well. The first two who came into the café I decided were a British couple - she in a trenchcoat and he in a wool cap and short, beige, waterproof jacket. They sat down behind me and proceeded to chat in a quiet but definite Chicago accent, ordered their breakfast in English. They "blended in," insofar as one might assume you think that is desirable, perfectly. <BR>Next came a group of about half a dozen American college-aged kids. I knew they were American instantly when I spotted them approaching from about a block away. Blue jeans, baseball caps, honking white sneakers, chewing gum, jostling each other, talking loudly. When they came into the café, every eye diverted to them, all conversation stopped for a moment, as if to signify silent disapproval. Their reaction? They jostled each other even more and laughed uproariously. The French were not amused, yet they seated them and acted graciously toward them. A half-hour later a huge couple entered the café, the man in a gray slicker and the woman wearing a white-white rain jacket that said "Mickey's Barbecue" on the back. I pegged them as Americans immediately, but upon hearing them converse realized they were Dutch. They spoke beautifully in French to the waiter and were again treated graciously. Soon a young woman in her 20s came in, looking as Parisian as one can get, with bright pink wool scarf tossed elegantly around her neck, a navy pea-coat, slim black pants and high-heeled boots. The waiter approached her and she said "Please, do you speak English?" I could go on, but the point is, if you want to try to avoid an "American look," (and I do in Europe), that's fine. Leave the baseball caps and white sneakers and "I love New Jersey" t-shirts at home and wear at least conservative if not fashionable clothing. And don't have fancy tourist paraphernalia like videocams and laminated maps dripping from every pocket. But the clothing isn't everything. Chewing gum is an American preoccupation, as is talking loudly and laughing out loud a lot. Wearing grubby or garish clothing isn't unique to Americans, either. In fact, the way you comport yourself and your ability with the language are far more important factors than how you dress. Europeans don't dress ALL that differently from us these days, anyway - they take a lot of their fashion cues from America. But they have in general better manners - that's what really makes the difference. Speak softly, attempt to use their language, throw a scarf around whatever you're wearing, and you won't be "pegged," if that's your concern.

Henry Patrick Apr 20th, 2001 07:31 PM

Being American may be "a wonderful thing to be," but there's a difference between enjoying one's citizenship with a place called home that you're proud of, and standing out completely in a crowd as representative of a kind of miondset and behavior that invites disapproval everywhere else. <BR> <BR>Dressing in something that asserts casualness in places that are normally more formal -- e.g., shorts, baseball cap, and a tank-top in a church -- is one thing Americans do that invites stereotyping them negatively. So is talking and laughing loudly, as if having a great, public, movable party. <BR> <BR>A lot of the things that give Americans that negative image are actually more a mark of youth than being American -- but we give our youth lots of money and turn them loose all over the world, and sometimes they behavior with immaturity and boorishness. I've certainly seen young people of Germany, France, Spain, England, even Scandanavia behave less than admirably here, but there are many fewer for us Americans to see. <BR> <BR>Anyway, consider that "not looking American" may be a good idea for anyone traveling in what could be a tricky summer re:anti-US feeling in airports, etc. It's not that we aren't proud of our country; it's that not everyone is particularly happy with some of the things the US does (or some of the things the world's corporations do that people assume was directed by American sympathies). <BR> <BR>Think about it. <BR> <BR>And leave the baseball hat at home. I don't even like to see it here -- esp. with the snaps/bands in front and the bill in back. It looks downright mindless.

Sylvia Apr 20th, 2001 07:36 PM

I read this post and had to laugh. I live in Florida, pretty close to all the tourist spots. In preparation for a couple of Europe trips this year, I've been buying clothes to "fit in". But as I was coming back from my walk, I ran into my neighbor's brother who is visiting from Europe. He had on shorts and black socks. When I go to beach here or to any of the theme parks, I pick out the European tourists by the shorts and black socks. I think now, I'm going to wear what I normally wear (business casual) and be comfortable. Good manners is the only accessory needed.

Santa Chiara Apr 20th, 2001 10:09 PM

St. Cirq: you have given the wisest, most objective viewpoint on this tired subject yet. Thank you. <BR> <BR>Just cut and paste this the next time it comes up, and it will.

Patti Suttle Apr 20th, 2001 11:14 PM

I think scarves are stupid looking. <BR>Many european tourists come to my town wearing dumb socks with sandals. <BR>Please people, we are traveling in these countries-not living there! <BR>We want/need to be comfortable. We have worked hard to have a little relaxation time. Yes, we should be respectful-dress conservatively. But, let it rest about the white tennis shoes and Parisian woman and their scarves.... <BR> <BR>

Ursula Apr 21st, 2001 02:38 AM

Patti: I do NOT agree with you. It all depends how you wear the scarve! I think it is very good thing to change the look and takes very little space in your luggage. And then of course, it depends what scarve it is. I have had my Hermès scarves for more than 20 years and I still happen to wear them. Incidentally, they are again very much "hip" in European countries.

Law Apr 21st, 2001 03:34 AM

The trouble with looking American is, as several have said or implied, that you can be making yourself a target. If you aren't worried about pickpockets or terrorists (chances are not zero but pretty slim), then you get to worry about ridicule. We seem to care about whether we look like idiots to others, even though Europeans don't even seem to care if they look like idiots to us. <BR> <BR>And Patti, you are entitled to your opinion but along with that, you are apparently "entitled" to sound very provincial and prone to generalization. <BR> <BR>There are ugly scarves and spectacular scarves, and silly ways to wear them and incredibly sexy ways to wear them. Parisian women set the standard for style. If you are worried about "stupid-looking" clothes, then consider the possibility that whatever you _don't_ consider stupid-looking may actually look utterly clunky to others -- oh, say, maybe those "stupid-looking" Parisian women.

Rex Apr 21st, 2001 05:41 AM

The baseball cap part of this seems easiest to answer. you will surely be in a few places - - the first day or two - - where there are several hundred people gathered together - - let's say, the airport for example. <BR> <BR>If I were to wear a baseball cap (and I never have in my life), and I didn't see a single other one in a crowd that size (which I predict will be your experience), I think that would answer the question for me. I would take it off for the rest of the trip - - or never put it on, in the first place. <BR> <BR>I think this answer is more diplomatic than the one you would get from Judge Judy. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

USA Apr 21st, 2001 05:57 AM

<BR>The only time I wear a baseball cap is when I shovel snow (it is only used to keep the snowflakes off my glasses) <BR>They are only appropriate at baseball games and certainly look ridiculous on backwards. What is with that anyway? Is your head on backwards???? <BR>Anyway, looking American and acting American,let me think about this.... <BR>I AM an American and proud of it. Most of the time the only way that becomes known is when I speak. The waiter/reception/sakesperson will then begin to try their limited English and we will have a grand time trying to communicate. Don't dwell on it, Gerry. Be comfortable, be stylish and if you fell like wearing a scarve to change your outfit a bit, go for it. <BR>Scarves are very much a European fashion staple and I enjoy seeing how people wear them and try to wear it differntly each time I put one on. Enjoy your trip. Don't forget to bring a waterproof jacket of some type and don't laugh, but a pair of gloves in your luggage might not be a bad idea! LOL!!

carol again Apr 21st, 2001 05:57 AM

Since this topic is still here... <BR> <BR>I hate DANGER. Maybe it's better to refrain from going to places where Americans are truly hated or are a likely target of terrorists. Is it really worth disguising your citizenship in order to travel in a genuinely hostile place, and will wearing different clothes be enough to protect you? <BR> <BR>Every place else, it really should be sufficient simply to avoid extremes in dress if you don't want to be too conspicuous and only wear EXTREMELY casual or athletic clothes when engaging in truly casual or athletic activities like hiking and beachgoing. (But standing out is not the worst thing in the world either.) It's more important to be well-informed, interested, courteous, respectful, and know some of the local language. I will always look like a "Mediterranean" type, so it isn't too difficult for me to look local in Italy and Greece and on rare occasions it suits my purposes to do so, while nothing would ever make me look like a "local" in Norway or China or Kenya. But I also enjoy the attention I get as a foreigner with enthusiasm and questions who tries to speak the language and has studied up on the area. I may wear more black in Europe than I would at home, but more because it is practical than because I'm trying to pretend I'm a local. If the color turquoise makes me happy and my turquoise tops will drip dry overnight, I'm going to wear them, even if it may happen to be an odd color in the country I'm visiting. To clarify what I said earlier about American being a wonderful thing, I do think we should NOT hide our nationality, and if enough "good" respectful travelers are recognized as Americans, maybe we can help alter the stereotypes based on the ignorant, brash American tourists. I don't wear T-shirts with words printed on them or baseball caps in Europe, but I've known some nice, intelligent, well-informed, linguistically talented people who did, and by their behavior they represented Americans well. <BR> <BR>P.S. I like being able to spot foreign tourists who occasionally visit the town where I work, and I usually make eye contact if I think they're foreign tourists. I enjoy it when they stop me to ask where the state museum is, where the revolutionary war sites are, etc.

Russ Apr 21st, 2001 06:20 AM

With every trip to Europe I make, I see more and more casual dress among Europeans - jeans, tennies, t-shirts, even shorts sometimes, and it's not just the young ones who are donning this stuff. They've been a little slow to catch on, but now they're finding they enjoy their freetime more in such duds. We American tourists are and will continue to be the fashion trendsetters for European casual attire. I'm proud to have been a factor in their enlightenment. I take personal pride in the role I've played in loosening them up. The older you dress, the older you feel, and they too are beginning to understand that life's too short to wear pants with a crease. <BR> <BR>Gerry, you'll probably find you fit in more than you'd imagine (not sure about that baseball hat though.)

Patti Suttle Apr 21st, 2001 03:57 PM

I can't believe I am "getting into this" but I am... <BR>Yes, I do sound "provincial" but it is tiring reading over and over so many people constantly berating other American's just because some chose to wear white tennis shoes etc. It's just not that big a deal-I do understand the not being a target element but other than that and being respectful I think as a country we just make it hard on ourselves. <BR>I have been to several European countries and am going this summer again. I have never disliked any of the countries I have been to. I am always nice, respectful of their cultures, and have a great time. I don't "make fun of what they wear" -its their country. I do feel we just go on and on about what WE wear. After being in some of the other countries I think American's have some good habits too. <BR>We wear white tennis shoes and they wear scarves....

Sharon Apr 21st, 2001 07:04 PM

Correction: _You_ wear white athletic shoes, and we wear scarves.

Patti Suttle Apr 21st, 2001 10:46 PM

Actually I do wear black shoes! <BR>I am just trying to defend those that did not know they were unacceptable. Geez! <BR>