Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is backtracking really not allowed at the Vatican Museums?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,
In one of my guidebooks it says that you should make sure you are going directly where you want to go at the Vatican Museums because you can't go back to galleries you've already been in to get to rooms you may have missed. Is this true?
Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:09 AM

When I was in the Vatican in May, they would not let us walk "backwards" against the flow of traffic through the museums. HOwever, they did allow us to start over after we exited the Sistene Chapel.

I tried to go backwards, but the guards blocked me. I just asked how to get to the Raphael Rooms and then said I would have to go back to the beginning. Just make sure to ask what door to use to exit the Sistene Chapel so that you don't end up outside. Once you have left the Museum, you cannot re-enter without standing in line and paying.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM

The different rooms, halls and hallways are usually so crowded that you will not want to try it anyhow...

Have a good guide describing the different rooms and the possible itineraries, take your time and enjoy the different pieces.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM

Yes, it's true, but as pointed out there's usually such a mob in there that you'd be hard pressed to go against the flow of traffic.
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM

Before you head down any of the very long galleries, make sure you have finished the first side of the museum. After you go down a gallery, you are pretty much on your way to "See the Egress"
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:17 AM

Floorplan:

http://www.stuardtclarkesrome.com/Vat_mus.jpg

Collections/index:
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 11:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, ella,

our experience was a bit different to other posters- we kept going round and round! probably cos' DD wanted to see the egyptian mummies, we seemed to back-track quite a lot.

I found no problem in getting into the more remote bits, some of them accidentally - the room with the collection of male genitalia carved in marble springs particularly to mind.

I certainly didn't realise that you could go back round again from the sistine chapel; I'm not sure whether anyone would have the energy to do so.

What you can do is exit from the back of the chapel [door marked groups only on the right] down some stairs and steps, then straight into st. Peter's, by-passing all the secuity queues. that was really worth doing.

Don't plan on doing anything else much that day.

regards, ann
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you,
You're all very helpful!