Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Longleat road conditions, 30 minutes to drive 7 miles, what gives?

Mar 4th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

While doing a Viamichelin drive schedule to Longleat from Bath on the way to Salisbury, Michelin notes that the drive in and out of Longleat will take 30 minutes to drive 7 miles. Michelin cautions about rough roads, does this mean road construction probable or are the roads just that bad. We aren't going until the end of May so I am hoping this is a temporary condition. I'm sensing that traffic is heavy/slow in many parts of England but this seems really slow. Can anyone tell me about this area? Thank you very much. Deborah
Mar 4th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Longleat is a VERY popular tourist attraction so that may figure into the calculations . . . .
Mar 4th, 2004, 08:35 AM

DeborahAnn,

Maybe it's because of the lions in the wildlife preserve! But I suspect it's the fact that it's a private road with a low speed limit.
Mar 4th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks janis, this was the first time I came upon a road caution while plotting out drive times. I am hoping it is due to temporary conditions, like road construction and not just heavy traffic. It seems hard to believe that an attraction can be so busy at all times that traffic would be that slow. I don't mind slow but stalled in place would not be enjoyable. thanks again, Deborah
Mar 4th, 2004, 08:56 AM

Michelin isn't clever enough to factor in road works in these calculations (look at the small print at the bottom of the itinerary. And the RAC site doesn't record these 7 miles as being a particular problem.

It has nothing to do with forecast trsffic levels either (Michelin's routes aren't time sensitive: it'd make the same prediction if you were driving at 3 in the morning).

Michelin just has 7 miles in its system as badly surfaced, and its formula is to assume 15 mph on such roads.

But in Britain, these time predictions are an art, not a science. Assume 45 mins from central Bath and you won't go far wrong. Where those 45 minutes will be spent - who knows?