Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Longleat House, is it an historic home or an amusement park?

Mar 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

We were considering a visit to Longleat House based on a Michelin 3* rating that indicates it is worth a journey. Our plan was to visit just the house as Stourhead or Salisbury are planned for that day as well as a private access visit to Stonehenge in the evening. After looking at the website for Longleat there seems to be an emphasis on the many amusements rather than the house and the implication that it is a full day outing. Can we tour the house and avoid the rest? Thanks for any information you can provide. Deborah
Mar 8th, 2004, 11:56 AM

DeborahAnn, You can visit just the house. A couple of years ago we went for the full spectrum of activities to accommodate our daughter. My husband and I traded off time to tour the house which was interesting. The current (7th?) Marquess of Bath is a bit of a renaissance man, painter, poet, politician, self published (sci fi?) novelist. There was also an odd but large collection of Hitler memorabilia on display in one of the out buildings to the house. In all, I probably wouldn't return to Longleat.

If you don't mind another suggestion, I'd be more inclined to visit Wilton House and gardens which is only a couple of miles from Salisbury.
Mar 8th, 2004, 11:58 AM

You can certainly tour just the house, which is very interesting; the wildlife preserve is a separate visit.

You will love the gardens at Stourhead! They are really fabulous: very 18th century and Romantic.
Mar 8th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Underhill, thanks for the encouraging words about Stourhead and obxgirl I will certainly look at the Wilton House rather than Longleat. I was put off by the Michelin description of the drive to Longleat so it would have to be something really fantastic to take that much time out of the day when there are so many things to do in that area. Thanks again, Deborah
Mar 8th, 2004, 08:17 PM

I too would rank a visit to Wilton House over one to Longleat--Wilton House still feels like a family home and has lovely furnishings. Longleat interests me more from a historical perspective, as a "great house." There's also a touching cemetery for family pets.