Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Long week-end Greece - one island + Athens (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/long-week-end-greece-one-island-athens-1653955/)

pabcbc May 30th, 2018 01:00 AM

Long week-end Greece - one island + Athens

Hello
I want to go to Greece in Sept or Oct 2018, long week end. Flying into an island and then ferry back to Athens, apart from the closest Saronic GUlf Islands is there a possibility to do sthing like Paros or Santorin ? I want to see Athens, museums, old town, streets but also spend a couple days in an island. Thks for suggestions and best regards (couple, 60's)

pabcbc May 30th, 2018 02:13 AM

Paros has no intl airport...other suggestions welcome

Hello
I want to go to Greece in Sept or Oct 2018, long week end. Flying into an island and then ferry back to Athens, apart from the closest Saronic GUlf Islands is there a possibility to do sthing like Paros or Santorin ? I want to see Athens, museums, old town, streets but also spend a couple days in an island. Thks for suggestions and best regards (couple, 60's)

PS Looks like Paros has no international airport, so probably not the best bet as the ferry will be too long in and out....suggestions welcome

Heimdall May 30th, 2018 03:46 AM

You don't say where you will be flying from, but Santorini has both domestic flights and flights from other European cities, the latter mostly in summer. Paros has an airport with several flights from/to Athens every day. If you can't get a non-stop flight to Santorini you can connect in Athens with an Aegean/Olympic flight with only a few hours layover, making it possible to go there the same day, saving Athens for the end of the trip.

I happen to prefer Paros, but if I were to make a one time visit to the Greek Islands I would choose Santorini for its beauty and historic sights. Return to Athens by air, because you won't have time for a ferry on such a short visit.

pabcbc May 31st, 2018 01:58 AM

thank you, flying from London, will check Santorin, thank you

atgyf May 31st, 2018 01:10 PM

Easyjet fly to Mykonos direct which is but a short boat trip to Paros. We are taking this next week and going straight out after landing to Naxos. It beats a return flight from the UK to Athens - much as I enjoy the Blue Star to the Cycladies.

crazyh May 31st, 2018 01:50 PM

Santorini will be the most expensive and heavily touristed of the Greek Islands. If that is what you want then you "may" find it to be what you expect of a Greek Island. However, there are numerous Greek Islands that don't get the hordes of tourists, high prices and hype that Santorini gets. Sept./Oct. may find it "somewhat" quieter but it will still have crowds.

I haven't been to Santorini so can't say for sure what to expect but I have gone to Greece numerous times and Santorini is still an island I haven't gone to or is on my "to-go-to list". That doesn't mean you want find it enjoyable or not have a good time.

I would recommend looking at other island like Naxos, Sifnos, Milos, Tinos, Andros Chios and many others to see what else is available.

Some people think Santorini is the "only" Greek Island to go to . . . others will say avoid it.

More research will help you make a decision that is right for you.

Retsina Jun 3rd, 2018 03:30 AM

Your choices are really limited for just a weekend and including a ferry return to Athens.
It is pretty much a choice of Mykonos and Santorini.

Whilst you could choose say Samos, Kos, Rhodes, Crete(Chania, Heraklion) those are very long ferry journies back to Piraeus. From Crete they are overnight, so very dull and no stops.