Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   long stay in a Paris hotel??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/long-stay-in-a-paris-hotel-630244/)

loisco Jul 11th, 2006 06:06 PM

long stay in a Paris hotel???

Just curious.For our Spring trip..my husband not eager to get an apartment. I am just curious, has anyone stayed a month or so in a hotel?..If so, comments?...

mikeyb Jul 11th, 2006 06:10 PM

Hi L,

It depends if you're talking about 1 star vs 4/5 star hotel.

docdan Jul 11th, 2006 07:27 PM

Although not common - some hotels have a few rooms with a bit more space and a small 'fridge and microwave - I would think a full month in a small hotel room would get antsy.

ParisEscapes Jul 11th, 2006 07:34 PM

Only for business - and it gets OLD fast.

I'd look at Citadines - a European chain similar to an Embassy Suites or Residence Inns. You'll have a small kitchen, living room and separate bedroom with the convenience of maid service, front desk help, etc. of a hotel. They have locations all over Paris.

Personally, for a month, I'd rent an apartment. You can negotiate great rental deal if you are staying 4 weeks or more.

Underhill Jul 11th, 2006 08:14 PM

Check out the Résidence des Arts, a sister hotel of the more pricey Villa d'Estrées. Rooms have small kitchens.

ggreen Jul 11th, 2006 08:38 PM

FYI, the hotel aspect of Citadines was nice (front desk, free computer access in the dining area - when someone wasn't on it, etc.). Be forewarned that maid service is only once a week; you pay extra for additional service. With that, the towels only get replaced with fresh ones once a week - and they are comparable to Motel 6 towels, so they get old fast! Other than that, the rooms and the location were excellent (and other services as previously mentioned). They have a website with an English version...

ira Jul 12th, 2006 04:04 AM

Hi lois,

>has anyone stayed a month or so in a hotel?..<

Some people, such as Eloise, live in hotels.

As noted, a lot depends on where you are staying.

((I))

BTilke Jul 12th, 2006 04:55 AM

A friend of ours spent a year at the Sheraton in Brussels. He was a bachelor who didn't feel the need to have "his" stuff all over the place and he liked not having to worry about cleaning (daily maid service, not weekly) or utility bills etc. so he was fine with it.
We spent 3 weeks at a hotel in Angers, France. Occasionally, we got a little tired of it, but overall, we didn't mind. However, our room was quite spacious and next to one of the city's nicest gardens; it didn't feel like we were stuck in a box.
In Paris, there are other hotel+ options besides Citadines. One of them is www.hotelhome.fr located in the nice upscale Auteuil residential area of the 16th.

If someone offered me a month's stay in a suite at a 4L star hotel, I'd have no complaints. But I wouldn't want to spend a month in a "regular" hotel room, given that there are so many comfortable and attractive short term apartment options in Paris.

What are your husband's ojbections to an apartment?

SuzieC Jul 12th, 2006 05:13 AM

Husband's objections might include the stuff he does at home, taking out the garbage? But it would be FRENCH garbage!

I definately could stay in a suite at say the Crillon, but since that is not going to happen, I'd prefer a nice - i.e., larger, apartment...two rooms so my beloved and I wouldn't be "attached at the hip" at every moment.

Seamus Jul 12th, 2006 06:36 AM

Not sure what your husband's objection to an apartment might be, but as others have noted, the tolerability depends on the type of hotel. I get really tired of it after about a week unless it is a very spacious accommodation, well appointed and with excellent amenities/service.

If your husband is concerned about having to look after an apartment, he may not realize that most short term vacation rentals are a bit different than standard leased properties in that the owner/agent usually does provide regular cleaning about once a week, more for a fee. If you do a private sublet from someone who is just looking to produce some revenue while they themselves are away the owner may not have a property manager available - one of the advantages of going through an agency.

Travelnut Jul 12th, 2006 06:37 AM

http://www.les3poussins.com/

This hotel has rooms and suites with a kitchenette (not all rooms)... not as central as some, but that isn't always a bad thing.

loisco Jul 12th, 2006 11:29 AM

Well...the apts.we seem to like are way too expensive for us.When we look, we look for possible good air circulation, etc. We would rather spend it on other things. The apt we liked would be about 11,000 a month. (Paris perfect) We very often change our minds..this is our first investigation.

We had an rv for 25 years or more so we are used to smaller spaces. This Fall we are staying in a triple room at the Miguet so maybe that would be something we could do..take a larger room?..I will look into the ones you have given me. And I do thank you.

loisco Jul 12th, 2006 01:19 PM

egreen...which citadines did you stay in ?..They have several locations in Paris all with different prices.I think they would be good..I can always buy a towel at Monoprix!

Actually I will look into all these things..but location is very important to us.

Thanks all of you. I think we are on the right path. Hubby doesn't object to garbage...lol...we just think the price of the apts is high and we like the idea of someone coming in to clean and more importantly we like a desk or reception to ask questions...I would never cook but it would be nice to bring in things from those fabulous charcouteries and bakeries..

ekscrunchy Jul 12th, 2006 03:07 PM

I stayed about a month in Paris at Hotel Le Bretonnerie in the Marais. I will be happy to answer any questions you might have about my experience, but do know that this was about 15 years ago. I have stayed in hotels all over for weeks at a time..not sure how this would help you, though.

ekscrunchy Jul 12th, 2006 03:11 PM

...ps. I also liked very much having staff on hand to answer questions and make reservations since my French is sorely lacking. And I often brought food to the room...mostly snacks but once in a while a meal from a take-out place. I see no reason NOT to stay long-term in a hotel if the price is right for you. As I said, I have done it all over the world and cannot complain!

loisco Jul 12th, 2006 06:34 PM

Well ek, that is encouraging...!! I am not at all sure if you can eat snacks in the room?..at the Bonaparte two years ago they said no food in the room. That's why we thought a kitchen would be nice...actually we would never cook..like you just bring in a snack!!

ekscrunchy Jul 13th, 2006 05:41 AM

Loisco: I have never stayed at that hotel. But I have stayed in many hotels of every description and price range, all over the world. And I have never had a problem bringing in food or drink. I can't imagine that this would be an issue as long as you bring it in unobtrusively and dispose of the remains properly.

suze Jul 13th, 2006 06:55 AM

I often eat in my hotel room (traveling solo). If I have the impression there might be an issue with it, I remove my own trash in the morning and put it out in a public rubbish bin.

I prefer a hotel because I often ask the front desk staff for assistance, with directions, calling a taxi, if I had to make a phone call in French, etc.

Luisah Jul 13th, 2006 06:56 AM

Check the Residence Des Arts in the 6th. They have kitchenettes for basic cooking. I stayed in the top floor apartment with a friend and we cooked soup once but used the refrigerator for cheese, fruit and cold drinks.

The apt. has a large living room and a separate bedroom (TVs in both rooms) and a nice bath with glassed in shower and tub.

Good location, less than a block from the Seine and a very short walk to Place St. Michel.

If I remember correctly there was daily linen service.

loisco Jul 13th, 2006 07:43 AM

I will check out the Residence des Arts. The trip advisor had some negtive reviews but since you have been there, I question them. We will also check the Citadines.

My husband wants ac but ......

As for bringing food in the hotel, never really tried.