Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Long shot - London GTG before Christmas (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/long-shot-london-gtg-before-christmas-1660982/)

janisj Dec 2nd, 2018 10:12 AM

Long shot - London GTG before Christmas

I'll be in London Dec 19-21 (fly on to Munich on the 22nd). Because my 3 days were going to be pretty full and most people are really busy the week before Christmas, I figured squeezing in a GTG would be unlikely. But plans have changed/thinned out and I do have some free time. Morning or afternoon Thurs 20 Dec, or anytime really on the Friday. There are things I'll do on Friday but they are pretty fungible time-wise. Thursday will be a very Covent Garden day - the Gainsborough exhibition at the National Portrait sometime during the day, early dinner at the Portrait Gallery, and Don Quixote at the Garrick but all are a few feet from my hotel so easy to fit in something nearby.

Or even I guess Wed evening the 19th could work - jet lag be damned :).

So -- drinks or coffee or lunch or fun & frivolity? Any takers? (I know it is a tall ask because of the timing)

OReilly64 Dec 2nd, 2018 10:21 AM

I would like to Janis, but will most likely be in Dublin. Enjoy.

regards … Ger

rialtogrl Dec 2nd, 2018 10:36 AM

I'll be there! Would love to meet up for drinks Janis. I am going on a pub tour on the 20th at 2pm but anytime on the 21st can work for me. Evenings 19th and 20th are fine too.

janisj Dec 2nd, 2018 02:20 PM

>>I would like to Janis, but will most likely be in Dublin. Enjoy. <<

It would have been fun to meet up again.

>>I'll be there! Would love to meet up for drinks Janis. I am going on a pub tour on the 20th at 2pm but anytime on the 21st can work for me. Evenings 19th and 20th are fine too.<<

Terrific. Some e-mails are going back and forth with other players - I'll post again when there are some some 'semi-firm' time options.

janisj Dec 4th, 2018 01:59 PM

Topping - rialtogrl: havent pinnred anyone else down yet. May end up being two GTGs (!). But pretty much any time on the 21st will work. I'll post more in a few days.

kmowatt Dec 5th, 2018 05:17 AM

What a shame Janis - I’m just back after a week in London...would have enjoyed getting together again...not sure if you’ve seen the development around Kings Cross/St Pancras but it is well worth a stroll. They’ve just opened a section called Coal Drops Yard as well - I had lunch at the Granary Square Brasserie which was quite good.

rialtogrl Dec 5th, 2018 07:53 AM

Super I will just keep the 21st open for now.

Surfergirl Dec 5th, 2018 09:53 AM

Damn, Janis, I'm flying in between Christmas and the New Year, so will miss you! Haven't seen you since Sacramento, maybe 5 years ago now! Do let me know what's on then, exhibits and all, since I haven't had much time to research. Going mostly to see an old flatmate of mine who is not well.

janisj Dec 5th, 2018 11:00 AM

Have a great time . I actually have the night of the 29th back in London but am staying out art LHR before the flight home. But off the top of my head, the biggie is the Gainsborough at the Nat'l Portrait Gallery. There is also a gingerbread city at the V&A. Right now I'm at PHX (flying home from a mileage run + plus Kings/Suns game) and all my notes are at home.

rialtogrl Dec 6th, 2018 09:51 AM

surfergirl, would you be interested in seeing Hamilton? I am going to be keeping my eyes out for returned tickets and am trying to get the lower cost ones which seem to require 2 people attending. If you are up for it let me know. I don't know if I will score for that week since its so busy.
Janis I assume you have already seen it :)

LancasterLad Dec 7th, 2018 12:12 AM

I could pop up from Portsmouth.....but my budget these days is more 'Wetherspoons' than 'Simpson's in the Strand' lol!

janisj Dec 7th, 2018 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by LancasterLad (Post 16836653)
I could pop up from Portsmouth.....but my budget these days is more 'Wetherspoons' than 'Simpson's in the Strand' lol!

Well, most of the GTGs I've attended in London have been quite down market from Simpson's. Usually a pub. Don't think we've done a Wetherspoons yet :D

Hope to have more info later today.

LancasterLad Dec 8th, 2018 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by janisj (Post 16836803)
Well, most of the GTGs I've attended in London have been quite down market from Simpson's. Usually a pub. Don't think we've done a Wetherspoons yet :D

Hope to have more info later today.

If you fancied a very central Wetherspoon's, then The Lord Moon of The Mall at the Trafalgar Square end of Whitehall isn't a bad place at all. It attracts quite a few Foreign Office types at lunchtime, I used to be one, and has a good atmosphere. It's a 2 minute walk from Charing Cross station.

janisj Dec 17th, 2018 06:36 AM

rialtogrl (and anyone else who is up for a GTG): Sorry about the delay getting back (there has been a wee bit of cat herding going on ;) ) -- sure hope you can still make it. We have sort of settled on Friday (Dec 21) late afternoon 4:00 to 6:00-ish PM thinking places will be less crowded between the last-Friday-before-Xmas-getaway-day lunch mob and the regular Friday evening mobs.

I'll post location later today . . .

rialtogrl Dec 17th, 2018 08:50 AM

Super... looking forward to it.

janisj Dec 21st, 2018 10:14 AM

Just back from a fun GTG with flanneruk, PatrickLondon, and rialtogrl. Talking about travel, politics on both sides of the Atlantic, 20 other topics, good beer, good wine, and good company in Covent Garden :)

walkinaround Dec 21st, 2018 11:50 AM

Shame. I always wanted to meet flanneruk and I was just around the corner at Lincoln's Inn.

rialtogrl Dec 21st, 2018 12:13 PM

It was a very nice evening! Thank you Janis for putting it together. Enjoy your cruise!

LancasterLad Dec 22nd, 2018 02:23 AM

If you'd posted the time and venue I might have made the effort. Ages since I had a day out in The Smoke, and as my home train station [Portsmouth Harbour] is also a Terminus, not much chance of sleeping through my stop!

Pleased you all had a good time though.....Seasons Greetings.

janisj Dec 22nd, 2018 06:30 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry lancasterLad :( I was having technical problems, but managed some private messages and COMPLETELY forgot about posting the venue back here on the thread (We met up at the Chandos in St martins lane.)

I'll do better next time. . .