Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Long live the Corgis! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/long-live-the-corgis-606565/)

KidsToLondon Apr 10th, 2006 04:40 AM

Long live the Corgis!

A list of 80 "facts about the Queen" has been posted on the Royal website:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page4823.asp

It is obviously now our duty, as Fodor's UK Board Bards, to come up with our own list!

Intrepid1 Apr 10th, 2006 04:50 AM

Why is it I have this funny feeling there is about to be an explosion of rhetoric from the Cotswolds?????

bob_brown Apr 10th, 2006 05:14 AM

Corgis? Well, I kept one for weeks and learned the meaning of stubborn and tenacious.

bellastarr Apr 10th, 2006 06:05 AM

Just after the Corgi item, there was an even more interesting fact, the Queen devloped the "Dorgi" (A corgi crossed with a Daschsund" and now has four "Dorgis"!

BTilke Apr 10th, 2006 06:21 AM

I like corgis, they are smart and funny, even if a bit stubborn and bossy. They're not a breed I would like to own, but I like seeing them. Frankly, though, a Dorgi sounds like a dubious mix--high risk of back problems and aggressive temperament. You'd have to breed very carefully.

Grandma Apr 10th, 2006 02:50 PM

There are several Corgis waddling around my NYC neighborhood...and I find them intelligent and adorable. After we lost the last of our two Scotties(talk about stubborn!!!) I wanted a Corgi. But then.... my husband and I discovered we liked sleeping in the a.m. instead of springing out of bed to walk the dog-:)

LoveItaly Apr 10th, 2006 02:52 PM

I didn't know Queen Elizabeth spoke fluent French.

laughingd2 Apr 10th, 2006 03:01 PM

Fact #81: the Queen is quite jealous of that woman who can carve cows and other large sculptures out of butter.

Underhill Apr 10th, 2006 03:33 PM

I wonder whether Her Majesty has read Rita Mae Brown/Sneaky Pie Brown's mystery series that feature 3 cats and a Corgi? All speak, of course.

icithecat Apr 10th, 2006 06:18 PM

The queen has been overseas 256 times. Boy do I wish I had her budget. But then again, her job ........ and I could never wave like that.

Neopolitan Apr 10th, 2006 06:22 PM

Yes, but will somebody tell me what the hell she keeps in that purse? bus fare? spare toilet paper? her cell phone? breath mints?

Scarlett Apr 10th, 2006 06:25 PM

Pup likes Corgis but they get very aggressive when they see him :(

Neo-Purell.

kenderina Apr 10th, 2006 06:36 PM

In the website , they talk about Her Majesty dressmakers and milliners..but what about hairdressers ??? She has no one ? She has a longlife one ? She does it herself ? :)

nona1 Apr 10th, 2006 08:10 PM

My friend's dad used to work at Buck Palace as the maintenance manager so I know a few stories:
Fact 82) there are hidden doors and corridors all over Buck Palace so the Queen can take a short cut and just pop out of the wall when she has guests! I went with her on one of the open days and she pointed out one of the hidden doors.

Fact 83) They have an annual staff ball. The staff are allowed to bring a guest and there are positively feudal regulations as to who. He was allowed to bring his wife or unmarried daughters under the age of 25 only. Honestly! Must go back to the days when the aristocracy would pick up a low-class 'filly' to fool around with! They had to work out a rota so that she, her mum, and her two sisters were each able to go at least once. Sons are not allowed, married daughters not allowed, daughters over 25 not allowed.

LoveItaly Apr 10th, 2006 09:35 PM

Quite interesting Nona!! Now, as Neo wondered about, what does she keep in her purse? A linen hankerchief perhaps.

Does Her Majesty still have Ladies In Waiting Nona? I ask because my paternal grandmother's mother was a Lady In Waiting until she married a commoner.

That purse has always kept me puzzled since I was a little girl. I would not think that the Queen needs any money, creditcards or an ATM card, LOL. I always thought that the Lady In Waiting would supply the Queen with whatever she needed. One of lifes little mysteries.

laclaire Apr 10th, 2006 09:45 PM

excerpt from Truman Capote's "A Beautiful Child" (from Music for Chameleons)

TC: Now do you think we can get the hell out of here? You promised me shampagne, remember?
Marilyn (Monroe): I remember. But I don't have any money.
TC: You're always late and you never have any money. By any chance are you under the delusion that you're Queen Elizabeth?
MM: Who?
TC: Queen Elizabeth. The Queen of England.
MM (frowning): What's that c--t got to do with it?
TC:Queen Elizabeth never carries money either. She's not allowed to. Filthy lucre must not stain the royal palm. It's a law or something.
MM: I wish they'd pass a law like that for me.
TC: Keep going the way you are and maybe they will.
MM: Well, gosh. How does she pay for anything? Like when she goes shopping.
TC: Her lady-in-waiting trots along with a bag full of farthings.
MM: You know what? I'll bet she gets everything free. In return for endorsements.
TC: Very possible. I wouldn't be a bit surprised. By Appointment to Her Majesty. Corgi dogs. All those Fortnum & Mason goodies. Pot. Condoms.

PatrickLondon Apr 11th, 2006 02:04 AM

I think the handbag contains at least her specs for those occasions when she has a speech to read.

I doubt if she takes chewing gum around, but possibly (depending on the occasion) a small "treat" or two for the horses or the dogs. Or the Prime Minister.

She has an I-pod now, of course (sometimes known as the We-pod), so maybe that's in there. I like the idea of a mobile phone - I can just see it ringing halfway through the annual Queen's Speech to Parliament ("I can't talk now - I'm on the Throne").

Carrybean Apr 11th, 2006 02:07 AM

"We-pod" :-d

Neopolitan Apr 11th, 2006 05:28 AM

Oh, LoveItaly. That's it. I never thought about her ATM card. "Could you pull over up here at Barclay's, Jeeves. I need to get some spare change for the loo out of the cash machine."

We-pod -- too funny.

PatrickLondon Apr 11th, 2006 06:07 AM

Blimey, we haven't yet reached the point where you need paper money for the loo.