Long Layover in Frankfurt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our mission team will have a 13 hour layover in Frankfurt, before leaving for Joburg. Can someone help me with what we can do, what is required to leave the airport and then return? Our flights are all through Lufthansa, so I assume we don't have to do anything with our bags?? Our group is 15 people and I need a plan! HELP!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:59 PM

Do you want a cheap hotel for the night, a tour, or are you worried about visas to leave the airport or what? I guess a bit more clarity as to what you are looking for. What kind of mission?
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

We have considered a hotel, so we could rest and shower, but if there were options for sightseeing that would be something we would not want to pass up a chance to do... We really just need some ideas. Just want to be sure we know the rules if we leave the airport, what do we need to return if anything, do we need to get a visa, those kind of things. We have never had this long of a layover on one of our trips so this is new groud for us, and we don't want to have a nightmare because we didn't do our homework.
We work with AIDS orphans in Swaziland, Africa. We are doing a medical clinic.
Sorry I wasn't clear, this is all new to me! Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 02:00 PM

>do we need to get a visa,

It would depend on your citizenship...
Most Western countries´ citizens can visit Germany for up to 90 days without a visa.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 01:04 AM

I guess it depends on what time of day you are arriving and when the next flight out is. Do you want to arrive in Swaziland exhausted from being awake for 2 days?

Sightseeing is always an option and I will be happy to give you some suggestions if you like. You might want to take a look at www.insidertours.com as they offer a walking tour in Frankfurt that is very reasonably priced and I imagine they would give a group rate too, since most companies do.

For long layovers, I sometimes recommend that people visit one of the indoor pools in Frankfurt. You can shower, take a refreshing swim, lay down for a while and nap and then be on your way. It is a cost effective way to get some sleep and a shower.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 04:22 AM

I'm guessing you're arriving on overnight flight early am in FRA, then leaving that evening for Joburg. I'd seriously consider getting rooms in hotel at or near FRA to relax and rest. If your group doesn't need or want to do that, then take a short train ride to Mainz and surrounding area. It's about a 30 min ride from the airport and the area is quite beautiful with very charming towns. Mainz is particularly nice.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 07:41 AM

If any of your group is interested in Holocaust sites, there's a memorial wood on the north side of Walldorf. It abuts the south side of the airport property.

It's the site of a camp for Hungarian Jewish women who were brought in at the end of WWII to work on hardening the runways for German jet aircraft. Has a path with memorial plaques containing photos, letters, etc.--in German. It's been 7 years since we were there, but we found it a moving experience.

A taxi could get you there quickly, and there was also bus service. There was a pleasant Italian restaurant not far away on Aschaffenburger Strasse. We stayed at the nearby Hotel Albatros for one night--a typical budget businessman's hotel that has an airport shuttle.