Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Long Anticipated Trip to Italy; Things That I Learned, That Will Help for Next time.

Search

Long Anticipated Trip to Italy; Things That I Learned, That Will Help for Next time.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 03:57 AM
nancy

There are some things that I had to learn the hard way. and some things that will be helpful to me the next time around. <BR>1- Always reconfirm flight the day before hand. <BR>Our flight over was cancelled, and we were put on an earlier flight. <BR>The problems with this? <BR>we were never notified by the airline <BR>and the new flight was scheduled to leave 5 hrs EARLIER, and we had a 250 mile drive to the airport. <BR> <BR>2- Do not worry about what kind of clotheing to bring! <BR>we saw people wearing everything, jeans, sneakers, shorts, etc. <BR>I did not pay any attention,and I am sure others did not either. <BR>Just, BE COMFORTABLE in your choices. <BR>If shorts and sneaks do it for you, so be it. <BR>Also, do pack less. <BR>We each had only one carry-on, but I still found I could have done with one less dress, 2 less shirts, and one pr of pants. <BR> and only one pr. of long pants each , for the children.( we traveled in end of June- mid July) <BR> <BR>3-Do not count on finding bus tickets , or an open Tabbachi on Sundays!! <BR>We learned the hard way, and had to wander around, looking for a Tabbachi. <BR>Also, when buying a bus ticket, buy an all-dayer, <BR>the single trip ones only last for 75 mins, and then become invalid. <BR>So, we had to wander far afield again, to find another open Tabbachi, at the end of our Sunday excursion to Villa Borghese day, with 2 hot, tired and cranky children. <BR> <BR>4-Look at everything that happens, even if it goes wrong, as an adventure. <BR>Otherwise you will waste valuable energy worrying or being miserable. <BR>There were times that I had absolutely NO IDEA what was going to happen next, but I was just content to sit back, and see what would evole from the situation. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:04 AM
ellie

Thanks Nancy for all of your tips - but especially #4 - you've managed to put in to words the part of travel that makes it so exciting and memorable!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:17 AM
nancy

5- One can definitely barter at the sovenier stands set up outside of famous sites. <BR>We were able to bring down the prices quite a bit, for trinkets for the children, at places like the Colisseum, The Vatican. <BR>One stand outside the Vatican advertisizes itself as <BR>"Selling cheaper than Wal-mart" !!! <BR>They were very nice gentleman there. <BR>Very patient with the children during the "shopping with children" episode. <BR> <BR>6- When booking at a hotel at the beach, check to see if you need to provide your own towels. to use at the pool and at the beach. <BR>We stayed at a very lovely, fancy, <BR>4 Star hotel in Formia. <BR>and the first afternoon there, found me walking around an unfamiliar town, late Saturday afternoon, asking <BR>"dove posso comprare suggimani (? sp) per miei bambini" <BR>I ended up in a paint store , a camera store and walked at least 2 miles before I finally found the open store that sold towels. <BR>The store itself was only about 1/3 mile from the hotel, but I missed it, and instead took a tour of the town, in my quest for beach towels <BR> <BR>7-Do Not Be SHY, in certain situations. <BR>Otherwise one will just continue to stand there and never get taken care of. <BR>Situations; <BR>buying gelato in certain stores, such as Blue Ice. <BR>at the local salumanaria, purchasing cheeses, olives, and Cordial Campari. <BR>And ESPECIALLY when boarding any flights in italian airports!!! <BR>It is just a mad crush of people slowly advancing upon the gate to the plane. <BR>A mob funneling down to two lines. <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:43 AM
s.fowler

Those are good suggestions for ANY trip I'm glad it was such a success... now when will see pictures??

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:49 AM
nancy

8- In Rome when planning trips to the Forum and The Colisseum, keep in mind that one site is free to admission, while at the other, one must purchase tickets. <BR>This changes every year (I think). <BR>This year The forum is free, while one must buy tickets to the Colisseum. <BR>We did not take thatinto consideration for our dayplan. <BR>We wandered through the Forum at a nice leisurely pace, and by the time we arrived at the Colisseum, there was a line for tickets, that must have had at least a couple hundred people in it!!! <BR>Having our 2 children, who just spent 3+ hours walking and wandering in the hot sun, it was unthinkable that we would stay and try to get tickets for that day. <BR>So, go see the site needing a ticket first, and then afterwards, visit the "free site" <BR>Also, the only person selling refreshments RIGHT at the Colisseum gates is VERY expensive, as he is the only game in town, so to speak. <BR>(I did not ask first, but what mom of two tired, cranky children always thinks to ask first?) <BR>Soda cost 10.000L and so did a single gelato!! <BR> <BR>9- Do not under any circumstances drive into Centro Storico , rome!! <BR>I did not heed the warnings enough, and allowed my girlfriend , Ellen, talk me iinto returning the vehicle to the via Lombardia drop-off site. <BR> <BR>The drive to rome itself was smooth enough, <BR>I found I really enjoyed driving in Italy, it was fun! No rules! and I had little difficulty, even when getting lost. <BR> BUT, rome a different story.... <BR>but we ended up above rome and had to head in from the north-west. <BR>We were so far "north " that we were not even on the map, so to speak. <BR>we drove in circles for an hour or so, finally found our way to the Lungotevere, and then crossed 4 different bridges, trying to find our hotel. <BR>By this time, the auto place had closed for the day (sundays- close at 2pm), so, we had the car for another day. <BR>And in "down-town" rome! <BR>Not a good plan. <BR>But, I will tell that story in another posting. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:04 AM
nancy

Re; Pics <BR>When I get them back (today or tomorrow) <BR> all 17 rolls of them! <BR>and when I learn how to send pics over the computer (? never?)

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Lizzie

Nancy - a message from a sidelines observer of your trip taking shape - I have no doubt that if you tackle the task of getting your photos onto the internet, you'll succeed! You sound like quite a woman!

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Linda

Nancy, as I remember you were having a tough time deciding how to get your "favorite auntie" from the Naples airport to Formia. Did you drive there? If so, how was it?

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 08:34 AM
nancy

Linda, <BR>I wrote a great, long reply last evening, and then the site was down, and reply got "absorbed" <BR>I had absolutely no trouble finding the airport , and after the first half hr. of white- knuckle driving, I was able to relax and enjoy myself! <BR> <BR>I did get confused at the airport, and drove around in circles, and did have a "funny" episode happen, which I will post later. <BR>But, I became addicted to driving "Italian "style. <BR>No Rules, rules!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Linda

Nancy, yeah, I like Italian driving too. The only time it is really bad is in the immediate area of Naples, and the traffic gets busy. No rules can be pretty hair-raising. I know Turks who simply REFUSED to drive in Naples. And everybody thought Turkish driving was bad. I'll e-mail you later with some of my experiences in Naples. Too much for this post--and I don't want to scare people!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Lisa

Hi Nancy, hope you had a great time and that everything turned out well. <BR>Just a tip about buying the tickets for the Colisseum. There is a very long line at the Colisseum. There is a place at the Fourm to buy tickets and bypass the line. Will get the exact location from my husband and post that later.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 02:05 PM
nancy

Lisa, <BR>that ticket tip for the Colliseum would be of a great help to others, I am sure. <BR>If I had known, I definitely would have purchased them at the Forum. <BR>The line was just too overwhelming! <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Nancy

Hi Nancy - I just got back and was hoping I would see your post. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip. Our's was great also - except for the fact that our apartment got robbed near Bologna. I learned to keep all window shutters locked, even if it means roasting throughout the night. <BR> On another note - we went with the Santa Chiara in Rome and loved it - Hotel Umbra in Assisi and also loved it and La Fenice in Positano and loved it as well. Can't wait to go back.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:42 PM
Diane

Of course we were three adults, but one of my best pictures from Rome was standing in line to buy Colosseum tickets at the top of the stairs looking down on the multitude of people in front of us in that line. Pretty funny!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 05:02 PM
seamus

Whenever you get really desparate in an Italian city to find your hotel, find a taxi and tell them where you are going and then follow them. Saves time and is worth it in the long run.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:46 AM
Mary

Nancy, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the tips. We leave in 1 wk...Can you say excited. Anyway, I noticed in one of your postings(I think it was this one) that you went to Fiornia (sp) and spent some time at the beach. We are also planning to go here, though we are meeting up with a local cousin. We will not have access to any hotel facilities. Is this a public beach? Should we bring towels with us? What is the beach like? Will it be ok for my kids (7&4)? <BR> <BR>I look forward to hearing from you. You may e-mail me if you prefer. <BR> <BR>Mary G

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 04:52 AM
nancy

Have been having MAJOR computer probs, <BR>so have spent more time reading (good for me!) <BR> <BR>Anyway, <BR>got to run. <BR>hope to respond later. <BR>Mary G- will e- you either here or there. <BR> <BR>Seasmus, <BR>tried to find a cab that sunday afternoon.(to follow to hotel) <BR>It was impossible. <BR>But did do that the next day to return La Macchina Famosa to teh rental agency. <BR>Had only one full day left in rome and did I want to spend it driving in circles? <BR>I did not. <BR>a piu tarde!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:11 AM
s.fowler

Great ideas here! I particularly like Seamus' suggestion.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Bippy

Do not go to Italy. Too many Germans eating weeeenieeescnisssles. <BR>Read my comment on Germans in Italy! <BR>Bipppy

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 10:32 AM
nancy

Bippy, go home! <BR>thanks, the cab one is very helpful, but do not try it on a sunday! <BR>Hard to find cabs. <BR>It was not that expensive either for us, to take the cab ride. <BR>We went from P.della Rotonda to upper Via Veneto and it cost way less than $10. <BR>Reasonable considering the cost of frustration