Long Anticipated trip to Italy Question

May 29th, 2001, 04:04 PM
nancy

Long Anticipated trip to Italy Question

Only 22 days til flight day!
I have done a search, but came up with pretty much nothing .
I will be looking for a nice piece of jewelry to purchase in Rome.
I want to buy myself a "divorce" ring.
Morbid?
Not really.
Actually liberating.
It has been a tough 10 weeks, but it is obvious to me, that my husband is calling it quits on our marriage.
So, since it would have been our 16th anniversary 2 days after our return, I will be looking for a nice ring.
Any good stores in Rome or Naples to suggest?
thanks for any real suggestions.

May 29th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Judy

Hi Nancy! I don't know a specific store for jewelry. But I do have a great print shop I could recommend if you wanted. I spent all my "gift" money there! Fab place!
As to the jewelry, I wish I had picked up a piece of jewelry(I spent all my money at the print shop) that had a Roman coin theme, either a slide or earrings or bracelet...it was great looking stuff IMO... that seemsed to be very popular there.
Nancy, I do hope you have the very best trip ever! You will be fine, girlfriend! Go get 'em! Judy

May 29th, 2001, 05:11 PM
Linda

Nancy, sorry I can't help with your question. The only piece of jewelry I purchased in Italy (other than in Florence) turned my finger green. (Not recommended.) But I did want to tell you that I have been thinking of you and wondering how preparations for your trip are going. Have a great time. You deserve it. And let us know how things went when you return.

May 29th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Kay

Judy:

Would love to know the name of your print shop. Have redone my bedroom and am looking for the perfect artwork to
add to it. If you have the name and address to the store I would really appreciate it. We are leaving next week.
Thanks
Kay

May 29th, 2001, 07:47 PM
Rex

Very nice print shop just off Piazza della Rotonda. Face the Pantheon. Turn 90 degrees to your left. You are now facing Albergo del Senato. As you stand in front of Albergo del Senato, turn back90 degrees to your right - - you are now headed along the lefthand side of the Pantheon - - in the direction of Hotel Crowne Plaza Minerva. The print shop is not much more than 100 yards or so.

Best wishes,

Rex

May 29th, 2001, 08:32 PM
Linda

Nancy, I hope you do not buy a "divorce ring". I hope you buy a ring to remind you of your wonderful trip to Italy. I don't know your circumstances but I, too, was married for a long time (17 years) and called it quits so I know what you're going through. Best of luck to you and let us know how your trip goes. What the hell, forget the ring and buy a gigolo for a few weeks - there's quite a selection in Rome, I'm sure. Ciao!!

May 29th, 2001, 09:09 PM
Art

Hi Nancy, buying a divorce ring will forever remind you of this period. I agree with Linda that you should concentrate on the positive i.e. your trip with your children. My first marrage lasted 18 years and no matter what the reason, when you have spent so much of your life with one person the best thing that you can do is look forward to the future.
What part of Vermont do you live in? I was born in Maine and lived in Boston while I was in school. In fact I'm going up to Maine on June 8th thru 10th to attend a niece's wedding. Its a beautiful part of the country, but to cold for me.
Have a great trip.
Regards
Art

May 30th, 2001, 12:27 AM
Patti Suttle

Hi Nancy-I kept hoping to hear that things had turned around but seems like they are not-and I bet these past 10 weeks have been difficult for you. Glad you have the trip to look forward to and I sincerely hope you have a fabulous time!

I understand what the others are saying about buying something positive but I think that you are wanting something to "cheer you up". And, I can understand that as well. Like someone said maybe it will remind you of a wonderful trip instead of a divorce....
Only you can determine that. Go ahead and look around for something FABULOUS and make sure "soon to be ex-hubby" has to pay for it! (oh that is mean!!)
Seriously, that would not be liberating would it? But, really, if you find something you would love- just get it.
You are about to begin your new life-and it really can be OK-will take awhile for you to see that now but-it will be OK. So, have fun jewelry shopping and buy something luscious!

We leave on the same day for Ireland, London and Paris so its count the days time! Can't wait! I am so excited to see everyone's face when we are coming into Shannon in Ireland! Never thought I'd be in Ireland with so many friends-what an opportunity! Not to mention London or Paris!
I am going to e-mail you regarding the
Leaning Tower!
You be good to yourself...
Patti

May 30th, 2001, 01:17 AM
regular

I second the suggestion regarding getting the gigolo instead of the ring. Now, that's a trip report!

May 30th, 2001, 01:55 AM
nancy

thanks everyone for your thoughts and support.
I will buy a *few things* to remember this trip by, but as I will have my children with me, no gigilo
Judy, good idea, Rex, thanks for a shop location.
I really do not mean a "divorce" ring, because I am looking at it more as a "liberation/ start a new life"ring.
I did not ask for this path, and worked hard to keep it from turning into this.
but, some things are just meant to be, and this is one of them.
We are both trying to remember the good times, after all we were together for 17 yrs, and have 2 children.
Patti, we were all hoiping for a different solution (except my husband obviiously)
The children still do not know,not until after we return, and recover from jetlag.
we are amiable with each other, esp. now ther are no more illusions on my part.
and will get through this trip fine.
It will be a gift to all four of us to be in Italy.
BUT...
Art, I live in the south eastern part of VT. have for 30 yrs, don't ask!
I remember a frost on july 4ht one yr!
Today it is only going to be in low 50's.
I hope you have a heat wave in Maine.
And , yes, I will report ack.
Esp. as we are going to stay in a part of Italy not much mentioned here, Formia, in the Gulf of Gaeta.
If anyone has name of good store that has rings that do not turn fingers green, I would still love to know!
thanks again.

May 30th, 2001, 03:16 AM
Judy

Hello Kay, the name of the Shop is Muccifora & Bianchelli
Via della Cuccagna, 19
000186 tel. 687-5822
It is just off the Piazza del Navonna, heading towards Campo dei Fiore.
mM cousin is a graphic artist in Rome, and she recommmended it, and it was lovely! Pre-framed and stamped, or just prints. I bought both. Judy

May 30th, 2001, 05:35 AM
Beth Anderson

actually, I think the divorce ring is a good idea.

This trip should be about forging new beginnings, looking forward to what next lies around the corner. That would be a nice symbol of that.

aren't Cameos from Italy? get a really pretty cameo ring, set in an old old old setting...

May 30th, 2001, 06:22 AM
carolyn

Nancy, I have a friend who had a "divorce pin" made from the diamonds from all the jewelry her husband had given her over the years. She chose a design of a horse's head, she said both because it's a Kentucky symbol and because the other end was so representative of him. You will get through this, and I wish you a much happier future.

May 30th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Lisa

Nancy, sorry to hear it did not work out. But you sound positive and strong and from your various posts, it is clear you are a thoughtful, caring, good person. And good things will eventually come your way. Take pleasure form your kids and like many of the posts subliminally advocate, especially from Beth, keep a humorous perspective on life.

And you have the right idea. My motto is "When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping." Buy yourself something really great.(Maybe in fodor's blue,)You deserve it.Good luck.

May 30th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Art

Hi Nancy, I had an idea last evening after I was off the forum. How about starting a charm bracelet? You could start with the first charm after hubby leaves and plan on adding a new charm each place you visit from now on.
Cheers
Art

May 30th, 2001, 11:07 AM
nancy

What a great bunch of ideas!
Cameos from Beth,
and Art,
even though I am not a charm bracelet type of gal, if it is 18K, it will work
Actually, it is a great idea, because it could be a record, of all the trips I (hopefully) will be able to take,
with and without the kids.
Carolyn,
Well, I can see the point of the horse pin, very appropo (sp?) And I hope your friend takes great enjoyment in wearing it!
but, as far as gems go, don't have much from husband except a beautiful pendant /earring set in aquamarine.and a pr. of black pearl earrings.
Lisa, thanks for your thoughts.
I think it is my sense of humor that has kept me on my feet through this.
Although I STILL have that rash on the side of my nose, that I mentioned 10 weeks ago!
I have the doctors bewildered.
It is my "marital /stress" rash, so hopefully will be gone by July.

And , we will all be fine and we will be in Italy soon.
That in itself will take the sting out of this, at least for me.
Thanks again.

May 30th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Linda

Nancy, you can get great cameos almost anywhere in the Naples area.

May 30th, 2001, 11:49 AM
beenthere

Hey Nancy, remember to get revenge. The best revenge I can think of is to be happy. May you have a wonderful trip and a wonderful life without the man. I'm actually kinda jealous.

May 30th, 2001, 07:15 PM
ger

Hello Nancy:

Just want to wish you the very best on your trip - hope everything works out well for you and your children.

Re jewelry in Rome - can't help. Have not read the whole thread, but if the husband is still with you in Rome, won't you always associate the "piece" with him?

As an alternative, have you considered going shopping with the "best friend" and kids (after the husband leaves), in some small town, to find the perfect antique ring that emphasizes "continuity" (as opposed to an ending) - the unbreakable bond between you and your children and your friends and family?

Just a thought! Regards Ger

May 31st, 2001, 01:14 AM
nancy

Ger,
no, will not assocoate any ring with him, it will be my symbol of new beginning.
Did not think that small towns would have jewelry stores,with maybe antiques
Why? duh, brainlessness in action!
Do you have any idea of some towns to find old jewelry?
We will be in the Rome to Naples area for the 18 days.
I know my children will not want to drive around Italy, in search of jewelry, so any places in particular?
Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO