Reload this Page >

Long Anticipated Trip To Italy; General Stuff

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 03:41 AM
nancy

The trip was everything that I wished it would be, and more. <BR>I definitely fell under the spell of Italy, even with my limited time there (18 days) and limited areas covered (Rome- Pisa- Formia, and inland) <BR> <BR>The trip went fine, even with my husband present. <BR>It was a bit hard for me, in the middle of having a great moment with the 4 of us, to suddenly remember, that after the trip ends, that he was moving out. <BR>BUT, I am glad he went, he is glad he went, and the children are especially glad he went. <BR> <BR>I think that Italy is so magical, at least for my family, that we were able to just enjoy ourselves, and live in the moment. <BR> <BR>I took postcards with me, of my state (Vermont) and would write something , in italian, on the back. <BR>I used these to hand out toitalian persons who were especially helpful, or pleasant to be with. <BR>I would not think of giving a tip to the stranger who lead us back to the main road, when we got lost, but a postcard fromVermont, brought a smile to the gentleman's face. <BR> <BR>If in your travels, you see postcards tacked up behind a bar in Pisa, or Montecassino, or have someone tell you about the crazy american woman, who spoke garbled italian, and left a postcard ; you can tell them you "know" me . <BR>But, really, the postcards were a big hit, and I only wish I had brought more, of them. <BR> <BR>Italy, a land of contadictions, and extremes <BR>1- Rules for everything, but no one obeys them. <BR>2- beauty everywhere, the buildings, the wild flowers; surrounded by garbage and litter. <BR>3- Catholic country, the Pope. <BR>women, especially in rome, walking around with lots of skin exposure, and *tight* clothing! <BR>What a country. <BR>I am in love !! <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 04:51 AM
karen

Glad it was a good trip. <BR>I know you had looked forward to it a long time.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Helen

Hi Nancy - I know exactly how you feel! I fell in love with Italy 3 years ago, and since then I try to go back once a year (and with the worth of the SA rand, that is difficult!). But you will go back again and again - the Italians are wonderful people! I remeber how fascinated I also was with their tight clothes - and the women are so stylish! I bought myself some very nice tight fitting clothes there, but back in South Africa, I gained some weight because I am sitting behind my desk again - the beautiful clothes are just too tight now! <BR> <BR>Thanks for the tip about postcards - I am going to some of the same places and hotels we have been last year, and I wondered what to take with - even thought of some bead work, but I do not know if the Italians will like that? The post cards are a wonderful idea! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 08:22 AM
nancy

Helen, <BR>Glad you liked the postcard idea! <BR>I was happy at how much the postcards seemed to mean to those I left them with. <BR>I mean, we all love to "get mail", and to see a place that you may have never even seen before in a book, or did not even know existed! <BR>I think postcards of where you live will do nicely, and you do not have to concern yourself with whether or not the design, or the colors suit. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip back! <BR>where did you go anyway? <BR>what did you enjoy there the most? <BR> <BR>As a new "disciple" of italian travel, I need to know all these things!

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Heather

Nancy, I'm so glad that you had such a wonderful experience and am impressed that through everything you learned the language, organized the trip (and your children), had such a great time, and came back to share with us. You're a real trooper! The postcard idea is terrific and sounds like it went over well.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:23 PM
nancy

Topping myself!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Lisa

Hi Nancy, so glad the trip turned out well. I thought of you a lot. I looked for you in Herculaneum. <BR> <BR>That area is such a beautiful part of the world, I really would like to go back. The ease of cruising did spoil us for regular travel however. You were smart to stay put in places for a week and do day trips. <BR> <BR>Did pou buy yourself a special piece of jewellery? <BR>Good luck with the days ahead.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:10 PM
nancy

Lisa, <BR>I did! <BR>and that is a story in itself. <BR>I am trying to post separate threads on this site. <BR>but it is taking me awhile. <BR>That story and some others to follow as soon as I can. <BR>But, I am pleased with the ring, the bracelet, and chain I purchased!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Alea Richmond

I'm new to this forum,and find myself sitting for hours reading what everyone has to say. <BR>Nancy, when you say you are posting threads on the site, how do readers find what you've posted. Is there a way to enter your e-mail name that will bring up all your posts? I'm interested in your jewelry purchases, because I'm about to go to Italy for the first time, but don't know how to shortcut this process. Help! <BR>Also, enough can't be said about your ability to plan and enjoy a trip, knowing what the outcome of the family situation was going to be. I'm proud of you. You go girl!!!

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:06 PM
nancy

Alea, <BR>You can try to do a search by putting my name in the text search box. <BR>BUT, there are now many "Nancys" on this board, and i post alot so it may take you too much time. <BR>but that is one way to do find peoples posts. <BR> <BR>Be forwarded, there are some here who will probably think I topped this myself, so I can talk about my marital situation again. <BR>I will say that what I am going through is not easy, but what is ? <BR>(besides eating fresh mozzarella and tomatos in rome?) <BR>Just did a court thing for temporary agreement, and my husband's teeth are now bared. <BR>He even had his lawyer bring up to my lawyer that he did not want me buying anymore expensive jewelry. <BR>The ironic part of this is that I used only my own money!! <BR>Not only to buy my jewelry, but to finance the (almost) 3 week trip to Italy for the whole family. <BR>He , included! <BR>Enough said about that. <BR> <BR>As far as jewelry. <BR>I shopped on a street by the Campo de' Fiori, but the place I bought most of my jewelry was on Via Veneto, at the corner with Via Lombardia <BR>the store name is Capuano. <BR>The woman owner was a real pleasure to do business with, and was very helpful in helping me pick things out. <BR>She knew my story, as to why I wanted a new ring. <BR>and when we were ringing up the purchases, she gave my daughter, as a gift, the 18kt tri-color gold charm bracelet, that I had picked out and was buying for her!!! <BR> <BR>Yes, my girlfriend and I did spend alot of $$ there, <BR>BUT, the owner did NOT have to do this. <BR>It really brought to my attention, that there are truly sweet people in this world! <BR> <BR>As far as the stores go. <BR>It is not like in the states,where all the jewelry is out on display. <BR>When I first went into this store,( and the others, also), I was thinking to myself <BR>"where is all this great jewelry people talk about?" <BR>Well, it is all in trays, locked behind the counters! <BR>LOTS and LOTS of jewelry! <BR>So, don't just look and walk out if you do not see anything interesting! <BR>Ask. <BR> <BR>A good lot of the jewelry in Rome is a lot flashier, fancier and bigger than what I feel comfortable wearing. <BR>But after I explained that, more simple pieces were brought out. <BR>There are styles for all tastes. <BR> <BR>A good many jewelry stores, at least down in the Campo de'Fiori area are closed all day on mondays. <BR>So, best to shop on another day. <BR>Capuano was open though <BR>(thank goodness!) <BR> <BR>As far as prices. <BR>I had to have my pieces appraised for insurance, as I lost the receipts. <BR>And what the appraisal came back at varied from <BR>"right on the mark" to what I paid, <BR>To an appraisal of a few hundred $$ *more* than what I paid for one piece. <BR>Overall, I found prices on things like chains, earrings, etc, cheaper than the states cause one is also talking 18kt. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your kind words. <BR>I hope you have a blast in Rome. <BR>We did! <BR>It is a magical city. <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:15 PM
EEEuuwww

This thread is beginning to be totally gross and nothing to do with travel. It was SO predictable that she'd begin talking about division of property................

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:22 PM
nancy

Alea, <BR>I meant to say <BR>"Be Forewarned..." <BR>BUT, <BR>What did I tell you? <BR>it did not take long, did it? <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Huh?

Did we miss something? Was AAliyah's death somehow connected to your buying jewelry in Italy. HUH? HUH? HUH?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 07:33 PM
grossedout2

No, it didn't, did it? Can't you keep your business to yourself??? Don't you realize we all have our own crosses to bear?

Old Aug 29th, 2001, 09:23 PM
Alea Richmond

Nancy thanks for the information. I'll make sure and stop atthat store. Interesting that the jewelry isn't out on display. <BR>I also contribute to a cruise-only site, but I've never seen the nastiness and anger on that site that I've seen on this one. I know nothing of any past posts by Nancy. I was simply expressing my admiration for someone who planned a trip (a very stressful endeavour by itself) and then went on the trip under very trying circumstances. Ignore 'em, Nancy...they're jerks. And anonymous ones at that...don't even have the nerve to use their names!

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 02:59 AM
nancy

Alea, <BR>thanks. <BR>I am glad that I could be of help. <BR>Esp. on a topic as much fun as jewelry! <BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Aug 30th, 2001, 10:00 AM
Oh No

Nancy and Alea are the same person of course. Nancy, I thought you had grown up and got on with it. <BR>Now of course you will weep that yet another person is picking on you.