Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Londra Palace, Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/londra-palace-venice-46918/)

Sara Jun 21st, 1999 03:55 PM

Londra Palace, Venice

Has anyone stayed at the Londra palace with feedback to share?

richard vicek Jun 22nd, 1999 03:26 PM

Good evening, Sara <BR>Have not stayed at the LONDRA PALACE, <BR>however it is a four star hotel in a very good location just north of the <BR>Pza S. Marco on the Riva Schiavoni, <BR>4171 about two bridges east. Plenty of <BR>ristorantes and shops around and back <BR>towards Compo San Provolo. Surf into <BR>www.veniceinfo.it/ Hotel Listings and <BR>search the LONDRA, and also www.sanmarco-hotels.com/ <BR>Have a good trip, Richard of Hickory <BR>Hills, IL....

Beth Jun 22nd, 1999 03:33 PM

Richard, I'm not finding the sanmarco-hotels website. Is there a typo, perhaps?

anita Jul 8th, 1999 05:22 PM

I stayed at the Londra Palace in October '98. It is very well located, traditionally furnished, elegant and beautiful. I think you would be happy to stay there.

Nancy Mar 20th, 2000 10:06 AM

It has been almost a year since this post originally appeared. Sara, I was wondering if you in fact did have a chance to stay at the Londra and your impressions? Did you eat in their restaurant? Anyone else's experiences would be appreciated as well. <BR> <BR>We have booked a "room with a view and balcony" there for 3 nights in May. Their website at www.hotelondra.it/ makes it look most inviting, but we were a bit disappointed to learn that the 2000 rates published on their site are incorrect. They are, in fact, quite a bit higher. I hope this error is not an indication of future lack of attention to detail on their part. ;-) <BR> <BR>Have enjoyed everyone's sharing in this forum and look forward to any responses you might offer. (This will be our 4th trip to Italy -- just can't seem to get enough of it!)

Beth Mar 20th, 2000 01:07 PM

Hi Nancy, <BR> <BR>We stayed there in September of 99. Our room was very nice, the view was excellent. Breakfast was very good, and I liked the location sitting out front for breakfast, near the basin watching the tour groups go by. Also, the vaporetto stop was right there which was great. We did have a couple negatives, which may not really bother you. We ate dinner in the restaurant, and it was definitely mediocre. It was the least well prepared meal we had in Venice. Considering how expensive it was, I would not recommend eating there. You can do much better elsewhere. Also, it is very noisy if you have your windows open. When we were there it was extremely hot, and the air conditioning just wasn't strong enough to cool the room at night. We had a choice of sleeping with the windows shut and the heat suffocating, or the windows open, and the noise of the crowds and the vaporettos waking us early. Since you will be there in May, this may not be an issue at all. <BR> <BR>All in all, I liked the hotel. I would recommend it. I'm not sure if its better than other hotels in the same price category, though. <BR> <BR>Do eat a meal at Da Fiore, if you haven't on previous trips. Its a fair distance, but a fantastic place. I e-mailed the Londra and had them make the reservation for me several weeks in advance. They were awfully good about this sort of thing. Nice to have a hotel with e-mail!

Paul Mar 20th, 2000 01:43 PM

Sara, <BR>We stayed at the Londra Palace in October 1999 and had a gorgeous room on the top floor overlooking the lagoon. The view was spectacular. The service was very friendly and helpful. Loved the jacuzzi tub, had good A/c, and lots of room. Yes, it is expensive. Our dinner in the restaurant was excellent and they give you a 20% discount if you are a hotel guest. The location could not be better for walking everywhere or hopping on and off the vaporettos. I am a very light sleeper and never was bothered by noise. I think you will be very happy.