Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Londontown?? Which hotel would you choose?

Nov 20th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Hey, me again . Scenario: Me and my husband in London on Christmas and Boxing Day, we will rent a car to avoid any transportation issues. I have seen the following hotels on Londontown but cannot decide, decent prices. I was going to pick the Lancaster which has a great rate but seems to have mixed reviews. Which would you pick and why?

1) Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt
2) Thistle Lancaster Gate
3) Hilton Kensington
4) Radisson Edwardian Marlborough
5) Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth
6) Copthorne Tara
7) Hilton Paddington
8) Hilton Hyde Park
9) Radisson Edwardian Grafton

I was originally going to use my Marriot Rewards but decided to use them in another part of our trip to Italy. Thanks again Fodorites!
Nov 20th, 2003, 12:59 PM

Number 1 on your list - Radisson Edwardian is extremely convenient. About a 1 min walk from Gloucester Road tube stop. Gloucester Road is quite busy traffic wise so a room at the back might be advisable. Our room at the front was quite small but had everything we needed. Not the most comfortable bed I ever slept in though. Nice thick walls and carpets so no noise whatsoever from other rooms or quests. Good value for money.
Nov 20th, 2003, 01:29 PM

Rent a car for use in London to avoid transportation issues? Are you traveling outside of the city? London is just about the last place I would have a car, even friends who live there avoid it.
Nov 20th, 2003, 01:36 PM

I second the no-car vote in London. We had one for a day-trip once and it was a horror trying to get out of town, and we have driven cars all over Ireland. It was just as bad coming back into town, plus there is limited parking. Unless you want to go out of town where the trains don't go, don't use a car.
Nov 20th, 2003, 01:37 PM

I sooo agree with Jody. In addition to the congestion tax you'll be charged for driving in central London, you'll be fighting for parking spaces, dodging those big black taxis, trying not to hit the quasithousands of people crossing the street and trying to remember to stay on the left the whole time you're there. Unless you're planning to spend most of your trip outside of London, a car is a recipe for a less enjoyable visit.
Public transit is the best option in the city. And most of the central London attractions, from Oxford St. down to Westminster Abbey, are within an easy walk of each other.
Nov 20th, 2003, 02:04 PM

I can't imagine renting a car in London, either, whatever day it is. I would probably lean towards the Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt also, as I liked its style and location. It was one I was considering last time I was there, but I stayed at the Millennium Baileys instead. I do like the Thistle Lancaster Gate location, however, I've stayed in that area and liked it but I don't know that hotel.

I really don't know much about the rest, that's a lot of hotels to compare. I would not stay right near Paddington station if that's where the Hilton is and I was not impressed with either the location or reviews of the Copthorne Tara--especially the locaiton, it's not as convenient.
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:36 PM

Christmas & Boxing day should be fine to rent a car in London - they are both public holidays so the traffic will be light, no congestion charge and parking situaiton will be greatly improved as you will be able to park on most single yellow lines (please check this though to avoid parking tickets).

Can't comment on the hotels though
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

OK, forgot to mention in detail about the transportation issues... on Christmas and Boxing day the City is DEAD! No tube, nothing! Transportation (bus) is offered from the airport on the 25th only until noon, after that zip.. nothing.... only if you hire an independant car, not even Ray Skinner's service so we'd rather rent a car to get around since obviously their will be no traffic. Now back to the hotels!... Thanks for the advise, will wait for more reviews to compare. Thanks to all!
Nov 24th, 2003, 07:02 AM

I just got back and stayed at the Copthorne Tara (got this on Priceline for $67) and have no complaints. The tube and bus stop were only two blocks away (we took the bus almost the entire trip). Lots of good restaurants and pubs within walking distance or a short bus ride if you want to save some steps. The room was nice (trouser press, fridge, coffee/tea/cocoa, toiletries) and big, staff friendly. Also, since we had a fridge in the room, and there were two grocery stores right by the tube stop, we stocked up on juice and pastries for breakfast. Hope this helps! Have a great trip!
Nov 24th, 2003, 11:13 AM

I stayed at the Radsson Edwardian Vanderbilt last time I went. I got a special rate from LondonTown in June -- I believe I paid $100 for the room. At that rate, I had no complaints. The staff was extremely polite and accomodating. My room was very very small. It was not elegant, but it was comfortable enough and had air conditioning. The bathroom, however, was fabulous -- beautiful marble. With shower and bath. I had a room in the front, and it was perfectly quiet. But I've heard others in this chatroom say they had rooms with street noise. All in all, I'd stay there again if I got a decent rate. I hope that helps.