Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London's Sloan House/Museum (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/londons-sloan-house-museum-329497/)

DiAblo Jun 20th, 2003 11:15 AM

London's Sloan House/Museum

I?ve been to London several times and have never visited the Sloan House/museum. I?ve read short blurbs in travel books about the place, but it didn?t come across as too exciting. Recently a friend returned and claims that it is one of the must-see attractions in London Town. How about those of you who?ve been there, what?s your take?

A must see, pretty good, o.k. or ho-hum?

adrienne Jun 20th, 2003 12:14 PM

Hi DiAblo,

I thought John Soane's house was exceptional. A taxi driver suggested we see it; it was originally on the bottom of my "must sees" but based on the cabbie's recommendation we gave it a better priority and am glad we did.

Soane had such an interesting array of artwork and even the house (3 houses put together) was interesting. I loved his painting gallery where the walls swing open to display paintings behind paintings - an ingenious technique. Go there - You have nothing to lose but some time. The museum is free but they ask for a small donation which is optional. You could go through in an hour or so. It's near a park so you could take a picnic lunch and then see the museum afterward.

adrienne

janis Jun 20th, 2003 12:14 PM

Do you mean Sir John Soane's House/museum???

If so, it is a VERY interesting and one of my favorite museums anywhere. Sort of eccentric - and in a wonderful area for walking around and seeing the Inns of Court, Chancery Lane, etc.

one2travel Jun 20th, 2003 12:45 PM

ditto...Enjoyable museum. Also recommend the Wallace Collection (it also has a great cafe).

obxgirl Jun 20th, 2003 01:00 PM

I definitely agree with the above. Not ho hum at all. Sloan was such a quirky and electic collector...there's always something unexpected to be found there. Somewhat restrictive hours tho and not open everyday. Check ahead. Sloan's Museum and one of my favorites, the Geffrye Museum, are both excellent choices for touring on those early jet lagged days. Large enough places to delve into something but not as overwhleming in sights or crowds as the British Museum et al.

obxgirl Jun 20th, 2003 01:01 PM

whoops, shoulda previewed...that should be "eclectic"...

sfowler Jun 20th, 2003 01:15 PM

It's quirky, eccentric and ecclectic :)
Definitely worth your time if you are interested in seeing house man;s house and art collection reflect a complicated and intriguing brain:)

obxgirl Jun 20th, 2003 01:25 PM

thanks sfowler for helping the spelling challenged...

jsmith Jun 20th, 2003 01:40 PM

I think I've made the same mistake in spelling. Sir Hans SLOANE was an early benefactor of the British Museum when he bequeathed his collection in 1753.

Sir John SOANE'S house and museum are only a few blocks from the Holborn tube and face Lincoln's Inn Fields. He died in 1837 and the museum has not been altered since. A fun place to visit because of its quirkiness both in display and contents. We finally went in March after many visits to London. Go.

There are many other things in this area that could keep you busy for a day: The Old Curiosity Shop, Lincoln's Inn, Gray's Inn, London Silver Vaults, and a few others.