Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

LondonIndianfood,theatre/play reviews,candleconcerts

Apr 26th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

We are traveling to london for 4 days second week of May staying in Belgravia. Looking for Indian restaurant suggestions, any play suggestions, cheap tix outlets, and info on candlelight concerts.Much appreciated.
Apr 26th, 2004, 07:38 PM

I think St. Martins in the Fields church has candlelight concerts. That's fairly near Belgravia.
Apr 26th, 2004, 08:24 PM
alg

We ate at Veeraswamy last month (Indain food) and thought it was very good. It is located on Swallow St, near Regent St.
Apr 27th, 2004, 12:08 AM

Website www.visitlondon.com

For an Indian meal with a contemporary twist you could consider, Cinamon Club, Masala Zone or Chutney Marys. You will need to book ahead for Cinamon Club and Chutney Marys.

For a more traditional Indian meal why not head to Brick Lane, Indian heaven for any self-confessed curry lover, whilst there you can also soak up the atmosphere of this increasing popular area of town. There is a market on Brick Lane on Sunday Morning too.

Apr 27th, 2004, 05:57 AM

The main TKTS booth is in Leicester Sq., although we ended up using another one (actually by mistake) in the same area with the same show selections and prices. As far as show advice, do you want to see and musical, comedy, drama? We saw Abridged Shakespeare as per my kids' choice (my son does not like musicals), it was entertaining but not what I would call a great theatrical experience, more of a comedy sketch (my kids, both teens, thought is was the funniest thing they eve saw).
Apr 27th, 2004, 07:15 AM

For a curry I second either a) the Cinnamon Club for fantastic (though pricey) food or b) Brick Lane for a more authentic curry. Masala Zone is very central but perhaps lacks some of the atmosphere of the others. Enjoy!
Apr 27th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Regarding shows...

Bombay Dreams is still playing for another month and the music is a lot of fun (particularly the drummers that flank the stage), and half price tickets should be available in advance from Lastminute.com so you don't have to spend your brief visit going to the TKTS booth.

Woman in Black is a small production. I thoroughly enjoyed this ghost story and you can also get advance deals.

St. Martin in the Fields has candlelight concerts several nights a week. They aren't cheap, but are less expensive than theatre. Unless you get a very good seat, it is hard to see (their cheapest tickets are seats where you can't see the performers at all. But the sound is good through out.

You can buy tickets from their web site http://www.stmartin-in-the-fields.org or at the door. Try for one of the nights that The Belmont Ensemble of London are playing.

Keith