LONDONand on toEDINBURGH,Where to stop?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 1997, 07:55 AM
Caryl

I am looking for suggestions...
I will be taking my parents on a trip to London and hopefully, Edinburugh. Considering taking the train north to Edinburgh. Our time is limited (3-4) days, before we will be re- joining friends back in London.
What to see, where to stay, where does the train stop along the way?

Old Sep 12th, 1997, 11:11 AM
Christina

I'm not an expert in this area, but did the
reverse trip once by tour bus. I'd recommend
stopping either around the Lake Country in NW
England, or in York in the East. The Lake
District was absolutely beautiful, although it
may not be as easy to get around w/o a car.
I haven't visited York but have wanted to, as it
seems to have some interesting things to see.
I think the Yorkshire countryside is also supposed
to be scenic.

Old Sep 14th, 1997, 12:44 PM
Graziella Guimaraes

Caryl, I have done that trip in February 97. It was outstanding and it is a pity you will only have 3 or 4 days to go because there is so much to see... I spent about 10 days doing it and I can say the highlight was most definatly York with its charming people, spooky ghost stories and above all the breathtaking York Minister! If I was to do it again, I would certainly bet on this great city as a very much pleasant stop along the way.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Rose

Can anyone tell me what train station in London would have a train to take me to Edinburugh-is there a main terminal?<BR>Thank you.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:14 PM
angela

If I remember the train goes through Durham which is a beautiful and very historical town in the borders. However, with 3-4 days I'd probably concentrate on Edinburgh

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Mel

Rose--pick up the Great Northern line to Edinburgh from Kings Cross Station in London. <BR><BR>Caryl--if you wish to make stops between London and Edinburgh, your ticket must say so. In other words, you can't "hop on, hop off" as you might with a rail pass. <BR><BR>Certainly York is a "must see," but if I had only 3- days, I'd head straight for Edinburgh and spend that time in Scotland!<BR><BR>Have a great trip!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 11:34 AM
kam

GNRR leaves from King's Cross Station in London. Suggest you stop either in York or Durham.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 01:25 PM
Rose

Thank you all-can you give me an idea of the price of a ticket from London to Edinburgh?

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Leslie

York is fantastic and about half way to Edinburgh. It time permitted I'd suggest Cambridge too but it doesn't sound like you have enough days.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 05:07 PM
xxx

Mel - look at the dates - Caryl made her trip FIVE YEARS AGO. Afraid your advice is a little too late!<BR><BR>Rose - a ticket to Edinburgh can be anywhere from &pound;40 to over &pound;150 depending on how far out you book, whether you decide to break your journey, day of the week, sleeper or day train.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Nigel Doran

You won't be able to break your journey on the way up from London to E'burgh. If you want to break it on the way back, you will have to have a non-Apex type ticket, and that will mean your paying more money for it. <BR>I would give GNER a ring. (www.gner.co.uk should give you the phone number.) They will be able to explain it more clearly. <BR>Don't be persuaded to buy a string of single (one-way) tickets as this will be very expensive. (Single tickets cost almost as much as returns, which is what we call round-trips.) <BR>Trains go from London Kings Cross. If I were you, I would get the cheapest ticket possible that would allow you to go up to E'burgh in one go and then to stop off in York. You won't have time to do E'burgh, York and Durham in 3-4 days. It takes about 4.5 hours to go from London to E'burgh.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:49 PM
xxxxx

If you read the posts carefully Rose does not mention stopping off anywhere she merely wanted the fare London/Edinburgh - it was Caryl 5 years ago who was stopping off.