London Zoo & British Museum

May 15th, 1999, 09:13 AM
marilyn lunsford

London Zoo & British Museum

I have not seen anyone mention the zoo. I read it is one of the oldest and has animals not found elsewhere. Also, is the British Museum the best choice for a museum? Also, I read Tammy's post about the Jack the Ripper walk which we had intended to take. After hearing about the crowds I would like to know if anyone has another suggestion?
Thanks, Marilyn

May 15th, 1999, 09:22 AM
CS

Marilyn: Personally, I prefer the Victoria & Albert to the British Museum. And don't miss the Wallace Collection, a wonderful small free museum. Have fun, CS

May 16th, 1999, 01:10 PM
elaine

The British museum is primarily a collection of ancient
artifacts and treasures, rather than a museum of fine arts. You will find the Rosetta stone, the Elgin marbles, etc.
THe V & A is primarily a museum of decorative arts (furniture, shoes, silver, costumes, bas reliefs, almost anything you can think of), the largest in the world, although it also does have some paintings (esp. Constables) and sculptures.
For fine art, the National Gallery
at Trafalgar Square is considered to have one of the world's finest collections, from Leonardo through the post-Impressionists.
I am also a big fan of the National
Portrait Gallery, which is exactly what it says, every one who was anyone, from
the renaissance through Princess Di.
Also, the Wallace collection is said to have the best collection of French art and objects outside France, while the Courtauld Institute has wonderful wonderful paintings from the renaissance
through Van Gogh.

May 17th, 1999, 07:49 AM
elvira

The National Gallery has a current exhibit of pop icons. For a really good site on all things British, try
http://www.allthingsbritish.com/index.shtml
We are going to be in London in late September, and I wanted to see what might be special exhibits, etc. This site really helped.
For Jack the Ripper tours, we've used Evans and Evans Mystery Bus; it takes you to all the Ripper sites, plus other deadly locations, a ghostly pub and house, then dinner (fish and chips) at a tavern/restaurant on the Thames. We do it every trip to London; the guides are excellent (some of them are actors, and are very animated)

May 18th, 1999, 09:40 AM
Rob

Don't forget the Tate Gallery for art....good moderns. Rob