Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London -> York via train. £148 round trip???

Mar 7th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

(I accidently posted this on the general forum, so I'm re-posting it here. Sorry for the duplication!)

I need to travel from London to York on March 17th, and back again on the 24th. The last few days, every time I search on nationalrail.co.uk, I get a message that says, "Sorry, the site can't find any trains meeting your request." I get that message no matter what I try. I don't know what's going on.

On www.GNER.co.uk, I can find tickets, but there is NOTHING for less than £74.10 per person each way!!! I'm about to cry.

Any ideas? Or are my husband and I doomed to spend nearly £300 ($600!) just to get to York and back?

I've considered taking the bus, but 6 hours on the bus after a 9-hour flight doesn't appeal to me. I may end up having to go that route, though, if I can't find cheaper train tickets.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:44 PM

Try www.thetrainline.co.uk
You maybe able to get a saver or supersaver ticket if your flexiable in what time you travel. They only allocate a few number of tickets for each journey and there are restriction on when you can travel. You also have to book these up before your journey. Yes travelling on trains in this country can be very expensive especially when your trip starts or ends in London.
Mar 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM

£15.60 to Leeds, £9 to York. Works both ways

BTW you don't need to repost as there's only a general board and the UK selection you did only works when searching to cut down the number of results
Mar 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM

AngelaL: Now you have both threads running at the same time. Be sure to check the other one since there are several posts w/ fares a LOT cheaper than the one you found.

Just to help you use the board in future, there is only one forum "Europe".
Mar 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies. I posted my findings on the other thread!