Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London without a budget! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-without-a-budget-207598/)

jeff Jan 26th, 2003 11:50 AM

London without a budget!

Money considerations aside. What would the ultimate week in London entail?

Patrick Jan 26th, 2003 12:12 PM

I have already spent the ultimate week in London -- several times!!<BR>For me it means going to two theatre productions nearly every day (can't seem to do that on Sunday or Monday though). Mornings are spent just walking the neighborhoods, visiting whatever museum strikes my fancy, or walking through one of the wonderful larger parks (Kew Gardens is probably my favorite). Always do a fun lunch somewhere, and a wonderful dinner after the theatre at night. I stay right in the heart of Covent Garden in a flat. I couldn't be happier when I'm there.

Ben Haines Jan 26th, 2003 12:21 PM

Dear Mr Thomasins,<BR><BR>Travel between Gatwick and Victoria or Kensington by pullman car in a private train. Rooms at Claridges. Dinner at the Ivy, the Caprice, Rules, and Simpson on the Strand, with suitable wines. Private evening views, guided by curators, at the National Gallery, British Museum, and other places to your taste. Hired car and driver: a Rolls, or perhaps just a Bentley. Shopping with a platinum debit card at Harrods, along Bond Street, and in the arcades beside Piccadilly. A suit from a Saville Row tailor. Medical check-up on Harley Street. Guided tour of Parliament by a Member of Parliament. Discussion of your professional field with a British leader in that field, in his or her club. Lunch at the Palace. Plays and concerts selected for the week, in the best seats, of course.<BR><BR>I hope this will start you off.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London

jeff Jan 26th, 2003 12:41 PM

Dear Mr. Haines,<BR><BR>I very much appreciate your response.<BR><BR>We have considered the stable suites at The Stafford. However, I just looked at Claridges and it looks wonderful.<BR><BR>How would you suggest that I procure an invitation for lunch at the Palace.<BR><BR>Aside from that your input on how to make contact with a British leader in my field would be greatly appreciated as this would be quite an interesting perspective.<BR><BR>A tour of Parliament by a Member of Parliament would be interesting as well.<BR><BR>As I am a &quot;clothes horse&quot; and have never had a suit from a Seville Road tailor, would you suggest one.<BR>

Ira Jan 26th, 2003 12:41 PM

In addition, catered Thames River cruise on a chartered yacht.

be serious Jan 26th, 2003 12:43 PM

&quot;an invitation for lunch at the Palace.&quot; Kidding, Right?

Ben Haines Jan 26th, 2003 01:52 PM

For be serious: right<BR><BR>For Jeff: You would ask your Congressman to ask the US Ambassador. I take it you have put a reasonable donation into party funds recently ?<BR><BR>Many walk into Saville Row as clothes horses, and leave as apparent gentlemen.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR><BR>

John H Jan 26th, 2003 02:01 PM

Hi, Jeff,<BR><BR>If you cannot have a lunch &quot;at the Palace&quot;, I agree that a private tour of Parliament -- and lunch in a dining room there with an MP -- is a nice substitute. (I was lucky enough to be able to do this in years past; had a friend who was a &quot;life peer&quot; in the House of Lords and whose company had an employee who was an MP). Definitely worth doing if given the opportunity. If you cannot do that, at least find a way to get tickets to the Prime Minister's &quot;question time&quot; in Commons. (Again, I got this through these same people -- but, the Embassy or your congressman might be able to arrange it).<BR><BR>Have fun.<BR><BR>John H

Bill Jan 26th, 2003 02:08 PM

<BR>A day at the races at Royal Ascot, wearing top hat &amp; morning coat in the Royal Enclosure. A silk top hat.<BR>

starspinners Jan 26th, 2003 02:22 PM

Ben, I like your style...you have panache!

gg Jan 26th, 2003 02:34 PM

Wow! I am printing this just in case I come into a large forune one day. Excellent suggestions.<BR><BR>Mr. Haines, I still love London..even on a budget. Thank you for all your valuable advice. I recently did my first overnight sleeper in a 2 person berth which I fortunately had to myself. Fun experience and very efficient way to travel.

m_kingdom Jul 5th, 2003 02:00 PM

Before we get too carried away one will find that it is SAVILE Row as opposed to SAVILLE Row!

PaulR Jul 5th, 2003 03:28 PM

Ben Haines: Sign me up! Realistically we find that London puts us off a little and thus prefer Paris. However, last March we spent a week in London which was very enjoyable. The fact that there is a non-stop flight to Gatwick from here also helps. We were not impressed with the rumored culinary renaissance in London; either overproduced tortured food at very high prices or downright tasteless fare. The most satisfaction came from dining in &quot;Aroma&quot; in Chinatown. On TV here we see Jamie and Nigella but we have yet to see their expertise make a real difference in the real world.

Here is another question. In March we saw a production of Cavalli's &quot;Orion&quot; by the VenetianOpera Company in Wilton's Music Hall in the East End. It was absolutely wonderful. The adventure in getting there is a long story fortunately with a happy ending. The company said that they were planning another Cavalli opera production in the fall. We have no information from their web site and from other opera sources. How can we find out? Do you have any suggestions? We would happily fly across the Atlantic again for another London visit if we could be there when this next performance takes place. Thanks in advance and keep up the good suggestions for Bill Gates' London visit without a budget.