Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London - will Christmas decorations be up by Thanksgiving Week? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-will-christmas-decorations-be-up-by-thanksgiving-week-361568/)

maxie Sep 26th, 2003 10:39 AM

London - will Christmas decorations be up by Thanksgiving Week?

We're spending Thanksgiving week in London. Will the Christmas decorations be up and lit by then? Do most of the stores have their Christmas items on display? We've never been to London in November and would like to do some early Christmas shopping. We're hoping to see the city decked out in all it's glory!

Intrepid Sep 26th, 2003 10:46 AM

Last year when we were there during our Thanksgiving week there were decorations up on some of the streets but as I recall they were not yet illuminated. From what I could see they didn't look all that unique or special but then again, I didn't see all that the city might have had to offer.

marty Sep 26th, 2003 12:04 PM

I was also there last year at Thanksgiving. Since I was taking some children with me, I asked this forum the same question! I agree that while there were some up, nothing was spectacular, and I went where people suggested. There was a little Santa Village at Covent Gardens, but it was just okay. It was raining the night we were at Picadilly, but the statue was covered, and I think they were getting it ready for Christmas. I went to Harrod's and didn't see anything. I was really hoping to see some beautiful decorations, but maybe I was just there too early.

leslie Sep 26th, 2003 12:30 PM

I, too was in London last year over Thanksgiving. Covent Garden was well decorated as were the respective shops in that area. Decorations were simple, yet tasteful, and not over the top.

A pine tree was being put up in Leicester Square near the 1/2 Price Tickets Booth, but it was not decorated yet. Lights were strung across the streets, but I don't recall them being lit.

I, do remember it raining most of the day and into the evening on Saturday (went to see "Sleuth" that night). The tube strike was on and off while I was there, and some of the stations were closed. Luckily, I had my raincoat, hat and umbrella, but the bottoms of my jeans were fairly wet from the puddles.

annesherrod Sep 26th, 2003 01:16 PM

Check out the windows at Harrods!(at night) They were so incredible! It was a feast for the eyes. I was there 2 Thanksgivings ago. it was a very whimsical Holiday theme at the time.

jody Sep 26th, 2003 02:42 PM

I just wish they weren't already up here! Yikes, it's not even Halloween yet!

Betsy Sep 26th, 2003 06:51 PM

They were starting to put them up on the day after Halloween when we were there two years ago. Check out the windows at the department store Le Bon Marche in the 6th. I find the decorations in Paris to be much like the ones in the US in the 60's. Old fashioned, understated and lovely.