London -which Abbey Court hotel?

May 29th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

London -which Abbey Court hotel?

Hello!
I am in "Emergency" mode. Our family of four was to leave today (sob) for 3 weeks in England. Disaster struck! Our 14 year old suffered a quite serious break to his right leg and is unable to travel. He is doing much better, but will be in a full leg cast for the entire summer.
Meanwhile, I am holding four tickets to see Eric Clapton at Hampton Court on June 9, a surprise for my husband's 50th, the occasion for the trip in the first place. So, throwing all practicality out the window, I am planning a long weekend in London, still a surprise to my husband. Having obtained excellent care for the kids (aunt and godmother) I am ready to go. However, I am still looking for a hotel.
I was about to book a room at the Abbey Court Hotel, when I realized that there are two of them! The one I am about to book is here:
http://www.abbeycourthotel.co.uk/index.htm
the other is here:
http://www.abbeycourthotel.com/abbeycourt/index.shtml

I now realize that all of the reviews that I have read refer to one or the other! We are leaving June 7, and I need to make reservations ASAP!

Does anyone have experience with these 2 hotels?

Since this trip will now be without kids, I would like something romantic, but not terribly expensive, 120 GBP at most per night.

Thank you for any advice you can offer! This site is wonderful and has helped me tremendously!

PS - I will be asking more advice later, as we are now rescheduling our family trip for the Christmas holidays.
May 29th, 2006, 07:44 AM

I haven't stayed at either one - but from the locations and just looking at the photos on-line I would absolutely choose the first one (in Pembridge Gardens).

The other one (Sussex Gardens) is practically at Paddington station and not as nice an area.

Pembridge Gdns is very close to the Notting Hill Gate tube station and Kensington Gardens. Plus the pics of it look much nicer than Sussex Gardens. Sussex Gdns look like a typical Paddington area hotel - not much to write home about.
May 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Oh - meant to add - that's so sad about your son's broken leg/plans being ruined.
May 29th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

janisj
Thank you! My instinct tells me Abbey Court in Pembridge Gardens, but I really don't know London.

Our softball star is finally feeling better today, so we are hopeful that the doctor will not want to operate. We will find out tomorrow. Thanks for your concern.

I believe that things work out for the best, Christmas in England should be fabulous!

I appreciate your answer.
May 29th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Too bad indeed about the injury! But do enjoy a special trip. We stayed at the Abbey House (11 Vicarage Gate) a few years back, but don't know which of the two it is. Was quite near Kensington Palace I remember. We were stuck in a 4th floor small room but then moved lower for several nights. Yes, nothing special, just the usual row house made into rooms. But not so pricey and close to High St. tube station. Oh yes, phone 0171-727 2594 might be a clue.

ozarksbill
May 29th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Ozarksbill
Many thanks! Abbey House is yet another hotel! Abbey Court is the name of the hotel I am considering. How confusing!
May 29th, 2006, 09:55 AM

You want the Pembridge Garden Abbey Court. I've stayed there many times in the past.Very convenient to tube, restaurants etc.
May 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I haven't stayed there, but when I was staying at another hotel nearby, I stopped in and picked up a brochure (the one at Pembridge Gardens). The neighborhood is charming, lots of shops and restaurants and convenient to everything. This is Notting Hill.
May 30th, 2006, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great advice! I'm making my reservations right now. I feel much more confident about our accommodations.........
I will report back after our trip.