London-Where to stay, day trips, etc.

Mar 29th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

London-Where to stay, day trips, etc.

My daughter and I are planning a trip to London about the 3rd wk of June. I am overwelmed by all of the hotel choices, as well as the different areas of the city. I have narrowed it down to a few that look ok on their websites. I'm looking in the GBP 70-80 per night range with a decent location, and must have private bath. Anyway, a few I'm considering are the Hyde Park Radnor, Columbia Hotel, Bayswater Inn Abbey House. Also, Octopus travel has a deal with air and hotel with the Eden Plaza. Is anyone familiar with any of these hotels and offer comments/suggestions. Also does anyone know of another hotel that they would recommend? We would also like to take some day trips out of London to see some gardens/castles/countryside, so proximity to train stations/tubes is important too. I would rather not stay someplace too busy/noisey though. Thanks for your help!
Mar 29th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Hello Lisa1, You will love London! I can't help much with hotel recommendations since we always book a modest apartment. Two areas we like to stay in are Kensington and Marylebone, both areas with great parks and gardens. Both areas can be noisy, but if you can find accommodations on side streets they will be relatively quiet. I would like to make some suggestions for your day trips. Consider London Walks at www.walks.com. They have walks not only in London but explorer days which include destinations such as Hampton Court, Canterbury, Bath, Oxford, the Cotswolds, etc. We've taken many, many walks with them and never had a disappointment. Richard (with the red hat) is our favorite guide. All of these destinations you could do on your own, but the guides make it not only efficient but educational and fun. Check out their website.
Mar 30th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Hi
As a hotel suggestion, this past January I stayed in the Arosfa on Gower St in Bloomsbury. Good location, 5-7 minute walk from the Goodge St Tube stop,10 minutes from Tottenham Court Road tube or 12-15 minutes from Russell Square tube (which is a straight ride from Heathrow.)

The Arosfa is more of a B&B, no a/c, no elevator. I stayed in a very small single, but saw a double and a triple.
The double was a small size with one bed, the triple had 3 real beds (at least the one I saw). Doubles were 50-something, triples were 75-somethng pounds. Be aware that the bathrooms are modern but very very small.

Still the place is very clean and pleasant, cooked breakfast is included every morning, the owners are quiet but helpful. I wouldn't rule out staying there again myself if I am on a budget.

For me, this location is more convenient than Bayswater or anywhere north of the park.

I have a file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]
Mar 30th, 2004, 05:19 AM

I should have added, Gower St is a busy street, at the Arosfa rear rooms are quieter and overlook a small garden.
Mar 30th, 2004, 05:27 AM

www.londontown.com has twins or doubles at the Hilton Kensington for 74GBP/night on their special offers page.
Mar 30th, 2004, 05:38 AM

I would recommend that you seek accommodations with air conditioning if you will be there the 3rd week of June. It can be quite warm that time of year.

Londontown.com is a good place to start looking. Also check out tripadvisor.com for hotel reviews.
Mar 30th, 2004, 05:59 AM

You didn't mention how long you were staying. Our fmily of four stayed in a apartment in Mayfair, (very quiet) which I strongly, strongly suggest. You save a ton of money on food, which is very expensive. Ours had housekeeping. We used regency apartments, but there are many.
Mar 30th, 2004, 06:03 AM
tod

I found Venere.com on the internet gave me the best deals in Paris so maybe you should give them a try for London. This time(May/June)we have gone for the Ibis Hotel Euston as it's across the road from the tube. Only GBP 79 per room. You should always make sure you don't have a lond walk home after a day walking around seeing the sights.
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for replying so far. I am now busy checking out everyone's suggestions. Venere.com is really cool. They have virtual maps of each area of London and as you pass your mouse over an area, it gives name/price of hotel. I'm still currently checking this site out. I'll let you know what I end up finding.
Mar 30th, 2004, 12:00 PM

Lisa1,

Somebody posted this earlier today, but it's worth looking into. Marriott.com is running a special for UK stays. Pay for 2 nights and 3 night free, all summer long. Go to Marriott.com and use promotional code E88. You may have to do 2 separate reservations if you want to stay 6 nights or 9 nights, I'm not sure, but some of the nice Marriotts are coming up at around 250BP for the 3 day stays plus tax. Not a bad deal for some nice places and great locations.
Mar 30th, 2004, 12:04 PM

I meant pay for 2 and 3rd night is free