London:Where to stay?

Jan 21st, 2000, 10:22 AM
Tony

London:Where to stay?

Our family is making first time trip to London for a week in April or May. Not a tour or package. Confused as to what part of London (big city), we should stay. Also, looking for middle range $ hotels. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 21st, 2000, 07:18 PM
Millen

We too, a family of four are planning a trip to London in April. We'd like a nice hotel to stay in, up to $275 a night. If you get any suggestions, please contact us. Thanks in advance.

Jan 22nd, 2000, 03:23 AM
Paul Wade

Hi Tony,

The best areas are probably Bloomsbury or Kensington as these are near museums, sights and restaurants. As regards hotels, I have found ONECLICKTRAVEL.COM useful - they have a London hotel guide (click on London at the bottom of their homepage) which is fairly good and also offer good discounts on London hotels.

Enjoy London!

Best wishes,

Paul.

Jan 22nd, 2000, 08:30 PM
Wendy

Our family of 4 was in London in 1998. Its not easy to find a reasonably priced hotel with family rooms in London. We found that as long as you are near a tube stop, you are minutes away from where ever you might want to be. The underground system is very easy to use. We stayed in the Bayswater area in a hotel called the London Guards. The location was great. 2 blocks from the Lancaster Gate tube and 2 blocks form Hyde Park (near Peter Pan's statue). The area was safe and quiet. The hotel breakfast was not much( just toast and tea), but the room was very spacious and clean. Also it was air conditioned. I believe we got a price over the internet of 101 pounds per night.I hope this helps. Have a great trip.

Jan 23rd, 2000, 12:28 AM
Myriam

Take a look at the "Where to stay, where to eat" website. It gives a complete list of London hotels with their official classification + an objective rating. You can find all this on www.theaa.co.uk/Region9/AllHotel.html.

Jan 23rd, 2000, 03:52 AM
MarkJ

Have you thought about staying in an apartment? Do a web search "london holiday apartments" you should get several hits. We used Price Apartments (http://www.priceapts.co.uk) for our last trip top London and were very happy with the apartment we stayed in and the price of the apartment.

MarkJ

Jan 23rd, 2000, 10:54 AM
Betty

I agree with Wendy; just be sure you're very close to a tube stop. We saw a lot of light rain and were very happy to be able to hop a train to anywhere. We bought a London Map showing tube stops as well as a guide book and made our reservations by consulting both. We were a mile or so from Harrods and it was easy to get around from there. Have a good trip! Betty

Jan 23rd, 2000, 05:13 PM
Yitz

You may want to look at some Apartment Hotels,
Orion Trafalgar a very reasonable property in great location,
reservations in USA 800-398-9677
you may want to visit these web site
www.vacationspot.com
www.vacationhomes.com
http://travelassist.com/tcd/curzon.html

Jan 24th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Robin

I didn't use their services, but have a friend who's planning a trip to London in May and she's considering an apartment, through the following website:

http://www.lfca.co.uk/

It's called London's First Choice Apartments, and offers a selection around the city. Also have a few Bed & Breakfasts. Has anyone booked through these folks?

Jan 24th, 2000, 02:02 PM
elvira

The Loons used First Choice for our trip this fall, and rented the Roland House Apartments through them.
About 15 min walk from the Gloucester Rd Underground stop, nice 'hood, very reasonably priced, perfectly fine accommodations.
With a family, for a stay of a week or so, the apartment thing works out to be a better value. It also gives some spread-out room, a place to keep snacks, and escape from each other.

Jan 24th, 2000, 04:25 PM
sally

Hi Tony,
London hotels are truly ghastly as you will know if you read this forum regularly. They represent the worst value for money in the world in my opinion. We always use an apartment - they are much better value and have some space! - sadly lacking in my experience in even very high priced London hotels. There are heaps of them on the Net. Area depends on what you are seeking - if you don't mind the noise, then areas like Marble Arch or any W1 address should be within walking distance of heaps of shops, theatres, Oxford St etc. If you like it a little more quiet, South Kensington, Knightsbridge, Little Venice (just gorgeous) might suit you better. If you have young kids, you might look for an apartment in a square, rather than on a main road - quieter and less dangerous. There are thousands of squares in London and a lot of the apartments are on these.Make sure you are within a couple of hundred metres of a tube station. Good luck

Jan 25th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Bill

I am going in three weeks with my wife and 2 kids. We got an apartment within the Grosvenor House Hotel on Hyde Park. I had the same frustrations trying to find a room that could sleep 4 ( most will only take 2 people max). We are paying 221 GBP per night. But that is 2 bedrooms, living room and a full kitchen. I will write back after our stay as well to comment on the hotel. Their website is www.grosvenorhouse.co.uk

Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:09 AM
Su

Bill, GBP221 looks like a really good rate. Did you book directly through the hotel or through an agent? Thanks!

Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:36 AM
Tony

Dear Tony,

I am a Sales Manager of a hotel in the centre of London, which we call South Kensington. We are located next to the Earl's Court tube station, about 150 meters away (500 feet). From Heathrow, with the tube 45 mins.
During April and May we have special offers ranging from 120.00 - 180.00 depending on the dates, for family rooms including full English Breakfast, Service charge and added taxes.

We are near to Harrods, Madame Tussaud's, Holland and Hyde Park. The Royal Victoria and Albert Museum, Speakers Corner and last but not least the Kensington Palace.

Should you be interested in further details have a look at our website www.kkhotels.com or send us an email to [email protected]

Hoping to hear from you soon, I remain

With friendly regards from sunny London,
Christian

Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:37 AM
Tony

Dear Tony,

I am a Sales Manager of a hotel in the centre of London, which we call South Kensington. We are located next to the Earl's Court tube station, about 150 meters away (500 feet). From Heathrow, with the tube 45 mins.
During April and May we have special offers ranging from 120.00 - 180.00 depending on the dates, for family rooms including full English Breakfast, Service charge and added taxes.

We are near to Harrods, Madame Tussaud's, Holland and Hyde Park. The Royal Victoria and Albert Museum, Speakers Corner and last but not least the Kensington Palace.

Should you be interested in further details have a look at our website www.kkhotels.com or send us an email to [email protected]

Hoping to hear from you soon, I remain

With friendly regards from sunny London,
Christian

Mar 22nd, 2000, 09:56 AM
Bruce

My family stayed at the K&K Hotel George last April and found the accommodations delightful. The rooms were spotless and the breakfasts wonderful. This was also our first trip to London, and we were very satisfied we chose the K&K Hotel George.
Enjoy!

Mar 22nd, 2000, 01:56 PM
Susanne

Whenever the question of which hotel to stay at comes up, rarely does anyone on this board mention the Rembrandt Hotel. This hotel is mentioned very frequently on the AOL travel board, and the posters say they love it. I am wondering if that board is being "seeded" by travel agents, or if it really is very nice. I would like to know because we have reservations there in May.

Mar 23rd, 2000, 04:37 AM
Su

Has anyone stayed at the Gloucester Hotel in London recently? What are the rooms like?

Mar 23rd, 2000, 08:35 AM
Shelley

Several friends who I have traveled with to London on prior visits, stayed at the Rembrandt Hotel last fall and thought it very nice. I stay at smaller hotels outside the city center, but near tube stops, and prefer the savings.

Mar 23rd, 2000, 10:09 AM
whatsup

Dear Fodors-
I thought that you eliminated all threads with blatant advertising???
Please take this one out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO