Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London - What's Open Late on Thursday Nights?

May 16th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Normally, I'd research this on my own, but I'm pressed for time trying to work out other details for this trip while endeavoring not to be the group nanny.

Mr. Pickle's men's a capella choir will finish their Wales tour (we leave a week from today) with a night at a Holiday Inn near LHR on June 5th.

Rather than spend the evening just hanging out at the hotel, I'd like to go into London - maybe go to a museum or do something. Dinner at the hotel is included in what we've already paid, so we might grab an early dinner and then leave.

We're hoping to get to the hotel around 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. at the latest. Does anything stay open later on Thursday nights?

Thanks, Fodorites!

Lee Ann
May 16th, 2014, 11:45 AM

All London theatres start aroun d7:30-8 pm - take in a West End show - sometimes the theater and the experiences is as good or better than the play!

Covent Garden is still animated and open in early evening.
May 16th, 2014, 12:32 PM

Elen, the Portrait Gallery in Trafalgar Square (next to the huge National Gallery) is open until 9. It's an excellent museum experience in a smallish venue which would leave you plenty of time to enjoy the Square which is always lively.
May 16th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ, we thought about seeing the new Jeeves and Wooster play, but I think we'd be pushing ourselves both timewise and financially to make it work.

latedaytraveler, that's a good suggestion. Thanks!

Lee Ann
May 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM

If you are at the hotel by 5-ish you'd be able to make a 7 or 7:30 curtain but not if you stop for dinner. Jeeves/Wooster is playing on st martins lane so you could take the tube to Covent Garden - From hatton cross or you hounslow and not have to go to LHR.

The play is hysterical - saw it last week.

Or the portrait gallery . . .
May 16th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

We're staying at the Heathrow M4 Holiday Inn.

Lee Ann
May 17th, 2014, 04:11 AM

When I said "the Portrait Gallery in Trafalgar Square (next to the huge National Gallery) is open until 9,"I should have said on Thursday and Friday nights. The National Gallery is open till 9 on Friday only.

Both are a great free take for an after dinner destination.
May 22nd, 2014, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Those of you who have seen Jeeves and Wooster - the only seats I think we can afford either have a restricted view (just six or seven rows from the stage, but at the ends of the aisles in the stalls) or are in the front row where we would have to look up at the stage.

What do you all think? Would we miss anything in those seats?

Lee Ann
May 22nd, 2014, 12:44 PM

Check http://www.theatremonkey.com/DUKEOFYORKbooking.htm for seat opinions and seat plans showing which are good and which to avoid. The front row of the stalls gets a thumbs up.
May 22nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Anicecupoftea, I'd just found that site before you posted!

We have seats in the front row - sounds like we might a bit of a crick in the neck, but that's OK.

Thanks again, everyone! I'd better pack now.

Lee Ann
May 22nd, 2014, 02:53 PM

The Duke of York's is not a huge theatre but I would rather be up close than farther back because the seats aren't very raked and heads always seem to be in the way. Anywhere in the first 5 or 6 rows should be fine. I haven't sat in the front row there but I don't think the stage is very elevated.

BTW - we used TKTS on May 9 (a friday) and got Row L for nearly half price. And that was for three together. If there were only two of us we could have been in row F center stalls. (I tried to get the other girls to do a split booking but they wanted me to to do it for them and TKTS won't allow split seats for one purchaser)
May 22nd, 2014, 03:57 PM

The (in) famous Trocadero Centre, one of the world's largest entertainment cmplexes is open until late very night IME - free to enter and take in all the action - not everyone's cup of tea but if you have adolescent kids parking them there for a few hours could be one of the highlight's of their trip - and you can go have a bitter or two at a nearby pub!

http://www.londontrocadero.com/
May 22nd, 2014, 06:02 PM

"If there were only two of us we could have been in row F center stalls. (I tried to get the other girls to do a split booking but they wanted me to to do it for them and TKTS won't allow split seats for one purchaser)"

Hi JanisJ, yet another accommodation you made for these gals on your recent trip to London, eh? Had they ever been to Europe before? Glad you enjoyed the show though....
May 22nd, 2014, 06:13 PM

Oh - there was worse . . . I'm waiting to write the TR til I cheer up a bit (and get off the crutches (loooooong story )
May 22nd, 2014, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

>>BTW - we used TKTS on May 9 (a friday) and got Row L for nearly half price.<<

We don't get to our hotel until about 4:00, so once we check in and drop our bags in our room we'll have to leave for London. Otherwise, I might have been willing to try TKTS.

Theatremonkey.com says the stage is slightly elevated, but I think we'll be OK. The other option is to call before we leave the house tomorrow morning and exchange them. Box OO got a good review. At this point, though, I think we'll stick with what we have.

Lee Ann