Reload this Page >

LONDON--What to do on a Sunday night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 06:16 AM
Norna

My husband and I are travelling to London in October. Many of our nights in London have already been planned, mostly with theater events. Question-- what to do on a Sunday night? Any ideas or suggesions are welcome. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 08:07 AM
Ed

I lived near London for a year and I would suggest <BR>maybe taking one of the "London Walks". I took the "Jack the Ripper" walk. It costs about 3-5 pounds and there was a guide who took a small group around <BR>to the pubs and places where Jack the Ripper hung out. There are numerous other walks also. You might <BR>check out the American Express travel office just south of Leicester Square, Ed

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 12:01 PM
Aj

The short-form answer is, "not much," but that's not entirely fair. The West End theaters are all closed, of course, but there are theatere clubs open on Sunday night. You have to join but the cost is nominal. We often look for a concert at places like Royal Festival Hall or Albert Hall. Very nice. The night time walking tours are fun, but can be tiring. Just wandering around can be good. Cet out of the high-tourist areas, however. Oxford St. will be crowded. Bond St. and New Bond St. have snazzy upscale stores but they won't be open. Great window-shopping. Walk around Sloane Square: There are a couple very nice upscale stores, a great book store, a good hotel with a fairly good restaurant, a pub or two. Take the, I think, Bakerloo line to Hampstead. A bit touristy but in an upscale way. (Be sure to check the schedules, which are reduced on Sundays.) You can also take a Sunday day trip out of the City on a tour bus. There is a good bus tour that goes into the Cotswolds, to Broadway (the "capitol" of the Cs) and to Bleneim (sp?) castle, where there is a very nice Churchill museum. One unexpected benefit of the bus tour through the Cs is that you are high enough to see above the hedgerows into the fields; this isn't so in a car. You can go to Bath and back on a Sunday tour. Or, take my favorite day trip -- down the Thames on an excursion boat to Greenwich, wich gives you a feeling of what London was like before the auto. At Greenwich, aside from the usual places, there is a tunnel under the Thames but I'm not sure if you can get back to central London from there; there is a light-rail system but it may not run on Sundays. <BR> Finally, after a day of sight-seeing, you could just flake out and catch up on your reading and note-taking. <BR> Or, buy several of the Sunday papers (the Sunday Times, the Observer, the Independent, the Mail, among others) and do what the English do on a Sunday night, read the papers. <BR> Hope this helps....--Aj

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 12:20 PM
jackie

<BR>How about Sunday in Cambridge with Evening Song <BR>concert at Kings College ?

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 03:03 PM
Martin

Why not go to a show? Lots of Broadway-style shows and lesser shows are available. Try the half-price ticket booth (I think its at Picadilly)for a really good deal. If you are in the mood for the fun and weird, try The Reduced Shakespeare Company's production of ALL of Shakespeare's plays in one evening. It's hillarious and reduced admission coupons were available at many locations (such as at B&Bs and hotels).

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 01:15 PM
kam

Generally we plan to be out of London on a day trip or overnight on Sunday or we spend it with friends at their homes. But, most of the wonderful old hotel restaurants are open---walk in Kensington Park during the day and then go for a beautiful and slow paced dinner, or you could spend the day at Covent Gardens and never know it's Sunday. The last Sunday we spent in London, we went to the "City" and had the place virtually to ourselves. We were looking for historic places--buildings, churches, squares etc. but it was heaven to walk around with nobody there! Then we came back and had a touristy dinner at Simpson's in the Strand and a drink at the bar of the Savoy afterward---early night but what a joy! The old and famous restaurant, Rules. is also open on Sundays .Food has gone down a bit, but it's still a nice cheerful place, also Brown's Hotel and the very popular Brasserie St. Quentin which can be over noisy during the week--nice on Sunday! <BR>

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 05:39 AM
menius

For a nice day trip out of London try Leeds Castle in Canterbury, about 1.5-2 hours bus ride. If you go through Top Deck (25 pounds I think) you stop in Canterbury itself for a few hours where you can explore the city (my fav so far not that I've been to many), and the canterbury cathedral (I think it's the oldest in england, and it's amazing). Then onto Leeds castle for about 3 hours before going home again. Takes all day and it is good for all ages (I'm 24, but right through the day there were tourists of all ages).