Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: what is your fav hotel and area to stay in under 90 pds and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:57 PM
sandy c

hi all,<BR><BR>okay, I am going back to london in october and november. 1 week in london, then one week in scotland, then 2 days on the back in back in london. I still had so much I wanted to do in london.<BR><BR>I did go last year, and while I am still satisfied with the deal we got on our 3 bedroom apartment/suite in bayswater for our group of 5, I did not, however, like the distance to the tube stations in that area. nor would i want to stay in a room there by myself. <BR><BR>this time I am going solo, so although i will still be on a budget, the decisions will be mine alone. i am looking forward to it, going at my own pace etc.<BR><BR>I have search the board and seen all the posts for london hotels. I have completed 2 or 3 days of research. looked at many of the hotels and my head is still swimming. I have seem 3 or 4 hotels recommended consistantly, some mentioned were the burns, the morgan, arran house hotel.<BR><BR>okay, here's what i am looking for: I would like a small hotel or B&B (not a large chain hotel). I would like to find a moderate size room with double bed and bath ensuite. I would like to walk around my bed without bumping my knees kind of room if you know what i mean. I am looking in the 50-70&pound; range per night and the only other requirement is that a tube station be within 1 or 2 blocks (real blocks not football fields) from the hotel.<BR><BR>Nix the single rooms with twin. In the 2 or 3 times I have tried them in london and paris they tend to be no larger than the twin bed itself and with showers that this full figure gal can't squeeze in even buttered up with soap. <BR><BR>what i would really like to hear is from those of you that have been to london. what is your favorite area to stay in and do you have a favorite hotel in that area that has rooms that meet this criteria. one that you would use again, close to tube stations. what about the hotel that you liked and the area you stayed in?<BR><BR>my only favor is to ask that you only recommend hotels under 90&pound;'s.<BR><BR>thanks<BR>sandy c(new bern)

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Mina

Hi Sandy!<BR><BR>I don't know if it fits your criteria, but I will be staying at the Euro Hotel in October (I'm traveling solo as well...4 days in london, a week and a half in Ireland, and 2 days back in London). <BR><BR>The website is http://www.eurohotel.co.uk/<BR><BR>I don't know if it fits your criteria. It's not overly swanky, but clean. (furnishings are a little old). It's in Bloomsbury, right near the Russell Sq. tube stop (piccadilly line). I stayed in a large room the last time I was there with 5 girls. I suspect the single rooms are quite a bit smaller.<BR><BR>The website used to be quite witty (and rather self deprecating) but now is quite dry. Check it out . I got quoted for Oct a rate of 49 pounds a night for share fac. and 70 pounds for private facilities. (all rates are posted onine under "arrange my stay) I will say though, that the staff wasn't OVERLY friendly. But very polite. And as you can see, I'm staying there again.<BR><BR>Bloomsbury is a great area, close to the west end, and highly convenient. Lots of places to eat right around the hotel too. Have a great time...maybe I'll see you in London!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:20 PM
paul

A little outside of London, but look at the Wembley Plaza. <BR><BR><BR> 50.00 GBP <BR> HILTON VALUE PLUS (HS) DOUBLE ROOM <BR>SPACIOUS WITH SATELLITE TV.TEA AND COFFEE <BR>- FULL PAYMENT NON REFUNABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING <BR> <BR> <BR><BR>http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=WEMHNHN

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:15 PM
topping

topping

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Simone

Have you thought about staying in a private home? Try www.athomeinlondon.co.uk<BR>www.bed-and-breakfast-london.co.uk

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Mina

Sandy, I don't know if you're still checking this thread or not, but there's a good thread right now on inexpensive hotels in london. A poster found a special at the Kensington Moathouse hotel for 70 pounds a night. This price is for single, double or quad rooms...wow.<BR><BR>I switched my res to this hotel. There was availability for this price for Oct, and I suspect there may be for Nov as well. There's also an epinions.com review on the hotel, as well as one for the Euro Hotel. I had to laugh when I read the one for the Euro Hotel. The reviewer said it was a great value (and also loved their old website as I did) but thought the hospitality was lacking. Apparently, I wasn't the only one. I still maintain that usually the Euro Hotel is a good value!

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 01:41 AM
jody

If you can get the Kensington Moat Hosue for 70 GBP go for it. Lovely area of south Ken and steps from tube

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:28 PM
Kent

Can't find any special rate for the Moat-Kensington. According to their website, 75GBP per person fora std. room. The special rate was 129gbp.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:17 PM
xxx

You can check the August 2002 issue of Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine. It lists "The Little Wonder Hotels of London".

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:20 PM
xxx

I forgot to mention that one of the criteria in the hotels selected for the article in the Frommer's magazine is that the rates were 60 pounds or less.