Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London—What good food places do you enjoy (some near Buckingham Palace area)? Recommend cafes, restaurants, etc.?

London—What good food places do you enjoy (some near Buckingham Palace area)? Recommend cafes, restaurants, etc.?

Jun 21st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Could you please share some dining recommendations for London? Primarily near the Buckingham Palace area, although I am certainly open to places that are further away as well.

A few years ago I was in London and ate at Ask (fabulous) and had lovely piles of Scottish Salmon in sandwiches at Harrods, and incredible Gelato at Morelli’s. Most of the rest of the food I found elsewhere was just...okay.

I am hoping you will share some of the places you enjoy going to.
Looking for mostly moderate/inexpensive (some can be more upscale) places. Cuisine/types--English, Eclectic/nouveau, Italian, some French, fish places (yummy). Cafes, good pubs, restaurants....
(Please no Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, steakhouses).

Greatly looking forward to hearing about the gems you’ve found, and enjoy returning to. Appreciate you taking the time to share.
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM

We were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of food and service at the 1707 Wine Bar in the remodeled Fortnum&Mason store. Excellent choice of wines, good food. Plus, if nothing on the wine card appeals to you, you can have a bottle of anything sold in the FM wine cellars for a reasonable corkage fee. We liked it so much, DH picked it as the place to celebrate his birthday. You can spend as little or as much as you like.
(This is a lunch rec, not dinner).
http://www.fortnumandmason.com/Our-R...-Wine-Bar.aspx
Jun 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM

We stayed twice at the Rubens on the Palace on Buckingham Palace Road and ate at quite a few restaurants in that area.

One we especially enjoyed was Bumbles. It is in the next block down from the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace.

http://www.bumbles1950.com/

There was a Bella Italia restaurant (part of a chain) on Victoria Street that served good Italian food and Pizza.

We ate a couple of times at the Duke of York Pub (upstairs), also on Victoria Street. They had a nice variety of reasonably priced specials that were quite good.
Jun 21st, 2008, 12:01 PM

Check www.fancyapint.com for pubs in that area.

Stockpot in Soho is inexpensive and tasty.

Lee Ann
Jun 21st, 2008, 04:34 PM

We like Brown's Restaurant on St. Martin's Lane near Leicester Square.
Jun 21st, 2008, 09:24 PM

Try Greens in St James http://www.greens.org.uk/ owned by Simon Parker Bowles, the future Queen's son! A great fish restaurant and sometimes a place to spot minor royals.

Quilon in Buckingham Gate is one of the best Indian Restaurants in London. Upscale but great value at Lunchtime. Also check out Bank, right next door.
Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:47 AM

Agree with the recommendation for Bumbles - a good suggestion by our Blue Badge Guide.
Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights. Appreciate you taking the time.

Any more recommendations to share?
Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM

I ate at Porter's near Covent Garden. English food. I think it's Henrietta Street. Go straight up to Covent Garden from the Strand Palace Hotel and when you get to it, turn left on Henrietta Street. There are more Stockpots than just the one. I had that on my list, but never saw one. One is near the Haymarket Theatre, I think.
BTW my understanding is that Camilla will never be queen, but will have another title.
Jun 25th, 2008, 06:19 AM

Hi, LOTRHP, with so many good suggestions already, I thought I would just mention Garfunkel's, if it has not been posted already.
There are many Garfunkel's around town, inexpensive, wide variety of choices of food. Hope this helps.
Another area we enjoy very much is China Town. I know you said no, but the dim sum is really great.
Jun 25th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Try any of the Biagio places ..the one on Piccadilly is especially good.

for locations

http://www.biagio.co.uk/
Jun 25th, 2008, 06:52 AM

Isn't Garfunkels an American chain?

I don't think I've ever seen a Garfunkels outside the tourist parts of London and the airport.
Jun 25th, 2008, 07:41 AM

terrific help - bookmarking
Jun 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM

The Salt Beef Bar in Selfriges, Oxford St
Jun 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM

"Isn't Garfunkels an American chain? "

You can't blame that one on us!!

Garfunkel’s is operated by City Centre Restaurants (UK) Limited, which has its registered office at 5-7 Marshalsea Road, London SE1 1EP. City Centre Restaurants (UK) Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of The Restaurant Group plc, a limited company incorporated in Scotland with registered number SC030343, and having its registered office at 151 St Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5NJ.