London Weather in January

Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

London Weather in January

Hi,
I see that the average temp. in London in January runs between 41 to 47F. But, is it rainy, snowy, very windy?
Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM

See my anser on Amsterdam - the weather is just as difficult to predict for London as Amsterdam. The days are just as short, and the weather usually (but not always) very similar.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 09:08 AM

"But, is it rainy, snowy, very windy?"

No. Or maybe yes.

Averages are meaningless in London. A Jan Midday could be pushing the high 50's or a bit below freezing. Almost certainly a lot warmer than New York: absolutely certainly a great deal colder than Florida. Trying for more accuracy than that is a total waste of time - even a day ahead.

Snow's highly unlikely: a day or three every few winters. Real, Chicago-style, windiness is as unusual as snow.

It's practically certain you'll encounter rain in any extended stay in London. A rainfree Jan week is almost unheard of. But having rain on a given day doesn't mean the whole day's going to be rainy.

Why does it matter anyway? You weren't planning to sunbathe were you?
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM

I've been to the UK 3 times in Dec/Jan/Feb and I find it a good time to go - even this past winter when London seemed overwhelmed by the snow. Generally it's been a bit damp but last year I did have a full week of clear skies and very pleasant temperatures. It was never very cold - great temperatures for walking around.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:45 AM

Often damp - substantial snow very unlikely - temps are usually too high. Rarely gets really cold in the US sense (20s during the day and zero at night). Chilly enough to need winter clothes but rarely cold enough to discourage you going out (unless you're from a very warm climate).
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:52 PM

I come from the Great Lakes area, and my last visit to London was a few years ago in January. (I also went up to Scotland.) When I left to go, the temperature here was 7 degrees Fahrenheit, and when I arrived there, it was 47! It was pretty damp and did rain, and I was glad I brought a wool coat because Scotland was colder, but less damp, and more like the temps where I live.

BC
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:48 PM

Book chick's statement has no context. The Great Lakes area extends from New York to Minnesota, and the possible difference between Erie, Pa. and Duluth, MN could be huge.

The fact is, it will be wet, occasionally windy, and on the days there is sun, it will set early. We were in Krakow for New Year's two years ago and it was full dark by about 4 pm and Krakow is one degree latitude further south than London. In Gdansk, it was dark by 3:15 pm -- Gdansk is a bit north of Liverpool.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:29 PM

NYCgirl12, I like to use the BBC weather site for an overview of a country. Here's the one for the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003790