Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Visitor's Travelcard (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-visitors-travelcard-63259/)

kate Feb 24th, 2000 05:08 PM

London Visitor's Travelcard

OK this didn't work right the first time so I'll try again. The original message (from me) was supposed to have some content (sorry folks). <BR> <BR>I am going to London in May. I am considering the purchase of a 7-day London Visitor's Travelcard. What I am trying to find out is whether the discount coupons/whatever are two-fers or are straight amount or percentage discounts off. If they're all two-fers, then the extra expense is not worth it and I will be better off with a regular weekly 3-zone tube pass, as recommended by a London-based friend. <BR> <BR>By the way, the phone number listed in Fodor's London 2000 for BritRail Travel International is the wrong number. You get someother person/business who does not seem at all interested in giving out the correct number. Directory assistance will give you a number but it turns out to be someone's fax machine. I found a third number via an internet search but got no answer. <BR> <BR>Thankx for any info you can give.

k Feb 24th, 2000 05:37 PM

Kate, <BR> <BR>I don't know what Britrail has now, but when we went in 1995, we purchased the $25 3 day travelcard for a 4 day stay. I can't remember if we used any of the coupons, but the tube passes sure came in handy. We went all over London. I figured it out that we saved money vs the regular fees for each trip. <BR> <BR>I guess it all depends on where you plan on traveling to... maybe log onto the Britrail page and price trips individually...that's what I did.. <BR> <BR>Kittie <BR> <BR>Kittie

kate Feb 29th, 2000 05:30 PM

Thanks kittie for your reply. I know the transport part of the pass is good, but what i am asking about are the discount coupons that came with it. That seems to be the great mystery. Even if you didn't use the coupons, what kind of coupons were they? (percentage off or a buy one get one free? <BR> <BR>thanks

cheryl Mar 1st, 2000 06:48 AM

The first time we went to London, we purchased the Visitor passes, this was two years ago. The only coupon we used was for the War Rooms. I don't remember for sure, I think we got a pound or two off the admission price. This past week when I was in London, we bought the seven day zone one pass when we got to the airport. It was much cheaper than the visitor pass, and I knew that we hadn't used most of the coupons. In fact, even though we were there only 5 days, the seven day pass was still cheaper than getting the visitor pass for 4 days.

Elizabeth Mar 1st, 2000 05:37 PM

Dear Kate <BR>I have to agree with Cheryl. When my husband and I went to London in October, we used the week long tube card opposed to the travelcard. I cannot remember the exact reason we chose this instead, but I usually research discount items throughly to see if they are worth it. The card is easy to get at the airport station. Just get a passport size photo(we got ours in the photo booth at a local mall for $2, instead a photo place for $7-8), stand in line, tell them exactly what you want, hand them the photo and pay for your card. For the entire trip it was so easy just passing the card through the tube entrance gates and flashing it at the bus drivers, we also took a trip the Hampton Court in zone 4, for no extra cost.