London-Visitors Travel Card?

Oct 8th, 1999, 08:46 AM
Gina

London-Visitors Travel Card?

We will be in London for 4 days and will be using the public transportation quite a bit.
Is it advantagous to get one of these cards?
What type of transport can you use with the car (ie tube,train,bus)?
Where can you buy them & how much?
Thanks so much!

Oct 8th, 1999, 11:08 AM
TONI

GINA: IT IS AN ADVANTAGE TO USE THE TRAVELCARD. PRICES FOR THE TUBE, CAN BE PRETTY EXPENSIVE, AS THE PRICE IS BASED ON THE DISTANCE YOU TRAVEL. YOU CAN USE THE TRAVELCARD ON BUSES, TUBES AND ALSO FROM THE HEATHROW AIRPORT. THE 4 DAY PASS IS 64.00 CANADIAN, AND YOU CAN PURCHASE THEM FROM OUR OFFICE IN TORONTO. EMAIL US IF INTERESTED AT [email protected]. HAVE A GOOD TRIP...TONI

Oct 8th, 1999, 11:20 AM
Gina

What is the name of the travel card?
So, I can use the buses & tube? We also will be taking a train to/from Gatwick Airport to Victoria Station, and also a train to Windsor Castle.
Does it include train travel?

Oct 8th, 1999, 12:28 PM
elvira

The card does save money and time if you are 1) making 3 or more trips per day and 2) buy only the zones you need (the tourist stuff is zone 1-2) and the days you need. There are weekend passes that are extra cheap, so if you're there on a weekend, buy that pass in London, then buy day passes (or carnets) for the balance. If you are going to be there Mon-Fri, then a mult-day pass works BUT there are blackout times (like during rush hours). You can use them on the tube, I'm pretty sure on the busses, but not on the trains (you have to get a train pass). So, are you thoroughly confused?

Oct 8th, 1999, 12:43 PM
Brian in Atlanta

They're good on the tube, buses and the Docklands Light Rail. No good for the train from Gatwick.

I wouldn't worry so much about comparing the costs. It's really nice having the pass and knowing that you can jump on any bus that's passing, or head anywhere you want on the tube on a whim.

Zone 1-2 is plenty, and will get you out to Hampstead (recommended).

You can get the pass at Victoria station (the end of the Gatwick Express) but you'll need a passport-sized picture (or there are photo booths in the station for L2.50.

But there's another thread that's been in the top 50 the last couple of days where someone said that you can get the pass in the US without a picture. I haven't heard of this, but you may want to find and e-mail that person for details. It'd be nice not to have to wait in the short queue at Victoria.

Oct 8th, 1999, 01:36 PM
Gina

Great info! THANKS!
I definitely will get one of these cards. We will do all our sightseeing from public transit, so it looks like this is the best deal.
How much is the card if purchased at the station? Can you purchase in US?

Oct 9th, 1999, 10:20 AM
Geoff

It really, really pays to educate yourself on these travel cards. There are multiple programs and the requirements are different on each. London Transport has all the options on their web site http://www.londontransport.co.uk

I got a 7 day card last year, and it requires the photo ID with it. However, it has no rush hour restrictions and is good on the night buses. My alternative was to get a 4 day, which did *not* require the photo, but had all the time restrictions on it.

There is a very big difference in prices based on the zones. Every thing a tourist would regularly need is in Zone 1&2. If you happen to have a hotel outside of that, then other zones make sense. Otherwise AVOID BUYING THE CARD HERE. They only sell the all-inclusive Zone 1-6 cards and are well over double the price of what you need.

If you want to save some money, consider the bus only pass. The Tube can be crowded, and my cousin in Greenwhich says many locals use the buses instead.

Oct 9th, 1999, 07:21 PM
Lori

Gina,
We used the Zone 1 7-day travelcard, purchased in London (at almost all underground stations.) It was 14 pounds (about $22). It's good for all times/days, & includes the tube, buses and the Docklands Light Railway. You do need to take a passport size picture with you which they laminate into an ID card. Incidentally the ID card is OK to use on subsequent trips, so you don't need to do the picture thing again. This travelcard cannot be purchased in the U.S. to my knowledge but takes all of 3 minutes to get at an underground station. Unless you are staying outside of Zone 1 don't buy anything else, the tourist sites are all centered in Zone 1 for the most part. The card is super handy because you can go in and out of trains and buses as many times a day as you want to (try and avoid rush hour tho, it's not called "rush" hr. for nothing). This type of card does not include the train in from Gatwick nor trains to Windsor or elsewhere "out of town". Most underground stations have photo booths for a quick photo if you need to do it there but we got ours taken at a local Walgreen's before we left.

Oct 11th, 1999, 11:33 AM
Diane

You don't need to fool around with paying for a special passport photo. Just take any clear photo of yourself and cut it to size. They will actually do that for you there at the station or the airport if you are flying in.

Oct 12th, 1999, 02:03 PM
Gina

Thanks for all the great info!
I called BritRail (1-888-BritRail) and ordered the Visitors Transit Card - $22 per person for 3 days Zone 1-2.
They say we'll have it in 2-3 days. Pretty convenient and we were able to use our credit card.
Thanks again!!

Oct 14th, 1999, 05:58 AM
Gina

Got my tickets from BritRail in 24 hours! We're ready to go & VERY excited!
Thanks for all of your help...

Search this Thread