Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London: visit Dulwich College and Picture Gallery by public transport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:18 PM
xx

I would like to see the beautiful red brick work of the chapel of Dulwich College,Dulwich Picture Gallery and Toll Gate during my coming visit,does anyone know how to get there by tube/bus from Central London?<BR><BR>Anything else such as interesting buildings,site,churches and market to visit in the same area?I could hardly find any info from guide books.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 02:30 PM
janis

Dulwich is a wonderful gallery. Probably the best route is to take the train from Victoria to West Dulwich and the about a ten minute walk. You can also get there from Kings Cross but that goes to a different station (Herne Hill) and the walk is a lot farther.<BR><BR>Just walking through Dulwich village is interesting.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:38 PM
Nigel Doran

I would take either the line from Victoria to West Dulwich, and then walk or take the line from London Bridge to North (not East) Dulwich and walk. London Bridge to E Dulwich is best, I think, because it is in Zone 2 (CHECK THIS!) and you are most likely to have a Zone 1 and 2 travel card if you have one at all. If you go to Zone 3, you'll need to get an upgrade from the departing station, both ways. It's not a lot, but a bit of a hassle. <BR>Agree that the 'village' of Dulwich is worth a walk around, as is the park. It will not seem like you are only 6 miles or so from Trafalgar Square. (There's a great Italian deli in a parade of shops with chairs outside, as well as a lovely, big pub near to the Gallery. The Gallery also has a swish restaurant, too.)

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:30 AM
xx

Thank you both.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:30 PM
Huh?

A swish restaurant?

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
xxx

Swish = POSH or stylish

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 12:47 PM
xx

Any old pub in the village?

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Mike Stump

I went to Dulwich College in April from Victoria to West Dulwich. It was an easy twenty minute trip and a short walk to the college. <BR><BR>To bad I didn't know there was a gallery there. <BR><BR>Doing some web research I found out that the James Caird is there. This is the 23 foot boat that Ernest Shackleton's crew of four used for an 800 mile Antartic trip from Elephant Island to South Georgia Island to get help to rescue the rest of his crew. Their ship, the Endurance, had been trapped, crushed, and sunk in the Antartic ice. <BR><BR>For more info see http://www.dulwich.org.uk/history/caird/caird.html

Old Aug 25th, 2002, 08:19 PM
xx

Many thanks for the info.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 12:12 PM
xx

Horniman Museum near Dulwich College,is it interesting?

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Ben Haines

The museum web site is http://www.horniman.ac.uk/collections/index.cfm/. The Horniman has three main collections, World Cultures (Ethnography) comprising 80,000 objects, Natural History with 250,000 specimens, and Music with over 7,000 instruments. The world cultures and the world music collections are well worth a visit: the Natural History main collection is a touch Victorian. The charm of the museum is its service as a resource in education to south London school children of any age. You will be unlucky if you do not happen upon a group working in one room or another, with a worksheet and a museum teacher, engrossed in the strange things around them. The museum has a room for African cultures, an aquarium, and current exhibitions of photos of Nigeria, and of monster creepy-crawlies. Activities include Tales from the Galleries with visiting storytellers every Saturday from 2.30pm to 4pm.<BR><BR>Ben Haines

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 05:46 PM
xx

Thank you,Mr Haines. Do you happen to know any good old pub around that area?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 08:22 AM
JC

Many thanks to everyone, I have enjoyed the visit to Dulwich very much the Friday before.<BR><BR>I took bus 12 from Charing Cross instead. The bus route went by Lovely Burgess Park,busy East Street Market,Church St.Giles in Camberwell,and bustling Rye Lane street Market in Peckham.<BR><BR>Dulwich Picture Gallery is a perfect little gem with works from many old masters, housed in a beautiful early 19th century building. The cafe on the ground served really good meals.<BR><BR>The old building in Dulwich college is really very impressive. Even in a foggy winter morning, a walk in the nearby Dulwich Park was quite pleasant also.<BR><BR>As mentioned by Mr.Haines, there were several groups of school children in Horniman Museum,everyone was busy on his.her own project. The exhibitions are quite interesting,the ones about some impacts on envirorments are quite well-designed. For non-museumgoers,the Horniman gardens are well worth a trip.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Nigel Doran

Ah! The good old Number 12. Little did I think that this humble means of transport (that I use very often) would get instant and wide fame on the WWW. <BR><BR>The 176, 40, 185 will take you to Dulwich Library, just a 10 min. walk through the park to the Gallery. These are not the old-fashioned Routemaster buses (those you can hop on and off at the back) and are therefore not as interesting. <BR><BR>To all: Go to Dulwich. You'll be glad you did.

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 11:51 AM
Ben Haines

To the original enquirer: Sorry I failed to find your enquiry of 28 August. Just after Peckham Rye the number 12 runs beside a Youngs pub, with London s best beer and decent lunches.<BR><BR>To all: Mr Doran has it in a nutshell. Go to Dulwich. You ll be glad you did.<BR><BR>Ben Haines<BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:06 PM
JC

<BR>Dear Mr Haines, Welcome back, many thanks for the pub info, probably I will try next time.<BR><BR>How was your trip? Any good place for music? Would you care to share some impressions about Paris from the superior height of a cyclist?<BR><BR>Happy New Year

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 10:37 PM
Ben Haines

I drafted my trip report yesterday, and plan to post it today.<BR><BR>Ben Haines