Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London underground passes (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-underground-passes-39043/)

Joel Feb 26th, 1999 10:14 AM

London underground passes

I read an earlier entry re: underground passes in London. Two questions: arriving in Heathrow on a Sunday, can I get an all day pass for that day plus a 7 day pass beginning the next day, both at the same time? Arriving in terminal three, do I have to go to the "hard to find" transport desk in terminal four to get these passes, or is there a desk in terminal three? Can't wait to be there!

Becky Feb 26th, 1999 10:57 AM

Joel: I can't give you an exact answer, but I've found that it pays to really look at where you're staying and where you want to go. The tube system is in zones w/ most of the touristy stuff in zones 1-2. Heathrow, I believe is in zone 4. So, it may be more cost effective to buy a day pass covering zone 4 to 1 to get from the airport to your hotel ( assuming your hotel is in zone 1). Then buy a 7 day pass for just zones 1-2. I've always found a desk to buy tube passes right after going thru customs and baggage - I don't think you'll have a problem. Have fun! <BR>

Tammy Feb 26th, 1999 11:03 AM

Is there a map that shows the separation between the zones?

Deb Feb 26th, 1999 01:50 PM

Becky: There is a large picture of the underground system next to the ticket window, the background for each zone is a different color

Caryn Feb 26th, 1999 02:46 PM

Go to http://www.londontransport.co.uk/ for all the information you'll ever need about the Underground. <BR> <BR>According to my Let's Go London, weekly travelcards can be purchased at Underground ticket offices, London Transport Info Centers, and PASS offices around the city. I don't know what PASS is. <BR> <BR>My plan for next March is to pay the individual fare from Heathrow which is in zone 6, not 4. Then I will purchase a weekly travelcard for zone 1 only. If I ever leave zone 1, I will just pay the extra fare.

Lori Feb 26th, 1999 03:43 PM

I've always found what works best for us in London, is to purchase the Visitors Travelcard here in the states before we go. Any travel agent can tell you about them, but I believe we purchased ours from the British Travel Authority in New York. They mailed them to us in just a few days. The complete info. we found in Fodor's London Guide. They are available for 3, 4 or 7 days cover all the zones in the tube and also the buses and light rail system. <BR>Have fun!

JOAN DOYLE Feb 26th, 1999 05:02 PM

All the advice you've been given sounds good to me (especially paying the higher one-way fare into London on the day you arrive). But one thing no one has mentioned is the need for a photo--a small snap will do, but you need it to be attached to the several-day pass. Aside from that, you'll find the pass (which is good on the busses too, by the way) is a godsend. Enjoy your visit. Joan

Tom Feb 26th, 1999 05:27 PM

I also have purchased the London Visitor Travelcard before our departure. I have puchased it from a travel agent although many have given me a blank look and didn't know how to ticket it (tell them to ticket it through BritRail). I have also called BritRail @1-888 BRITRAIL and they will mail the tickets to you or you can order it on line at www.raileurope.com.The All Zone TravelCard is $32/$14 for 3 Day <BR> $41/$16 for 4 day <BR> $63/$24 for 7 day <BR>The first fare is adult the second child 5-15yrs. This card is good for unlimited travel on all six zones of London's buses and subways, transfer from Heathrow, Docklands Light Railway and use of many mainline trains in the London area. It is also good at any time of the day I beleive the travelcards sold in the UK start at 9:30am. New as of April 1, 1999 is a Central zone TravelCard covering the two inner zones and priced as follows. <BR>$22/$9 for 3 days <BR>$27/$11 for 4 days <BR>$32/$13 for 7 days <BR>Like the all zone card, it allows travel on London's bus and subway system at all times. Not valid from Heathrow Airport. All cards are for travel on consecutive days. I tried to purchase a central zone card this week by calling BritRail but he said it might be a week or two before they are available. Could anyone tell me how these compare pricewise to the cards available in the UK?

Tom Mar 3rd, 1999 12:46 PM

Received an email from BritRail today that confirmed that the central zone card will be available on 1 Apr 99.