Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Underground From Heathrow (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-underground-from-heathrow-733270/)

New_England_Dawn Aug 31st, 2007 04:15 PM

London Underground From Heathrow

Hi All,

I have a simple question:

In order to travel from Heathrow to Lancaster Gate on the Tube, would I take Piccadilly to Jubilee to the Central Line and then get off at Lancaster Gate, or is there a more direct route (besides Heathrow Express)? It's been a long time since I've been in London, so I'm trying to become familiar with the city again. Also, are there any problems on the Tube or any stations that are under construction? Thanks! :)

NeoPatrick Aug 31st, 2007 05:33 PM

We were shocked to arrive on a Saturday night in June at Heathrow and head to the tube station and buy our Oyster Cards, only to find that the tube was CLOSED from Heathrow to some point some distance away. Just for the weekend. So we asked about taking the replacement busses. There were none and we were told it was all but impossible on Saturday night to take busses at all from Heathrow to where we could pick up the tube. Fortunately they were doing a special deal -- Heathrow Express was "free" with an oyster or any tube ticket. But it was much more involved than our original plan of the Picadilly line direct to Covent Garden station, a block from our flat.

Another time we were all ready to take the tube from Covent Garden to Heathrow only to find that an accident had closed the line and busses were doing an alternate route part of the way.

These are not terribly likely, but things do happen.

janisj Aug 31st, 2007 08:50 PM

As NP says there can be closed stations/delays any time. In feb I stayed a week near the Goodge St Station - very convenient. EXCEPT come to find out, that branch of the Northern line was closed every weekend for construction.

As for your route - yes that would get you there. But will you have any luggage at all. If it were me after an overnight flight and w/ luggage, I'd take the piccadilly line to South Kensington, Knightsbridge or Hyde Park corner (I'd personally use South Kens) and then hail a cab from there the short distance to Lancaster Gate. A lot easier than two tube transfers.

If there are 2 or more traveling, a car service makes a lot of sense -though more expensive than the tube for sure.

GeoffHamer Aug 31st, 2007 11:16 PM

Another option is take the Heathrow Connect train from the airport to Ealing Broadway then change to the Central Line - there no stairs between the platforms at Ealing Broadway.

xyz123 Sep 1st, 2007 12:00 AM

Probably the fastest tube trip..

Get off at Earls Court, walk upstairs to District line Edgeware Rd. bound train two stops to Notting Hill Gate, Central line train 2 stops to Lancaster Gate.

Fewest changes but much longer stay on Picadilly train 9 more stops to Holborn switch to District line 5 stops back to Lancaster Gate.

xyz123 Sep 1st, 2007 12:20 AM

...ooop oops oops meant to say switch to Central line at Holborn 5 stops back to Lancaster Gate.

PatrickLondon Sep 1st, 2007 01:54 AM

Easier variant on xyz's route - Piccadilly Line to Hammersmith, cross the platform to eastbound District Line to Earl's Court, change on same platform for Edgware Road train. But from there on in, there will be stairs, however you do it - at Notting Hill Gate and again at Lancaster Gate, or if you leave the train at Earl's Court, come out of the Warwick Road exit and take a taxi from there. There don't seem to be any very helpful buses from Earl's Court.

You could perhaps get off the Edgware Road train at Bayswater, walk down Queensway and take either a taxi or a bus the couple of stops to Lancaster Gate: routes 23, 94, 148 or 390.

xyz123 Sep 1st, 2007 02:52 AM

...but neoPatrick..there are a bunch of stairs at Bayswater and then it's a two or three block walk back to Bayswater Road where the 94, 390 and 148 buses run...I didn't suggest the across the platform transfer at Hammersmith (or even Barons Court) because that is an additional change which the OP might not want to make (r trains instead of 3) but you're right, that is available....the stairs walked at Lancaster Gate aren't too bad as you take a life to the street and even at NHG, the major part of the downward trek to the Central line are with escalators.

NeoPatrick Sep 1st, 2007 05:21 AM

Huh, xyz? Oh, you meant PatrickLondon, not neoPatrick.

xyz123 Sep 1st, 2007 05:27 AM

Stupid me...I can't see the name of the latest poster on this very ill conceived archaic bulletin board...it's time they fixed it including giving people the ability to edit their posts which is sorely lacking.....sorry. (somehow the name Patrick stuck in my mind and there are a few of them....at least there are no other xyz's....)

janisj Sep 1st, 2007 06:35 AM

As you can see there are several routes you can take - but all require a couple of changes and/or quite a walk. That's why I suggested taking the tube most of the way and then hailing a cab for the final bit right to the front door of your hotel.

ron Sep 1st, 2007 07:05 AM

Simple questions don't always lead to simple answers, eh? One thing you might want to be aware of is how close the Bayswater station is to Lancaster Gate. If your destination is between the two, you may find it easier to avoid the change to the Central Line at Notting Hill Gate, stay on the District Line to Bayswater and walk from there. I did that many times when staying at the Thistle Lancaster Gate.

New_England_Dawn Sep 1st, 2007 08:28 AM

Well, considering that our flat is directly across the street from Lancaster Gate, we'll probably travel all the way to this station via the Tube. I like xyz123's route the best. Think I'll take Picadilly to Earls Court, walk upstairs to District line Edgeware, take the train to Notting Hill Gate, get on the Central Line train and go two stops up to Lancaster Gate. There are five of us total and we've been through tougher travel challenges than this! A few years ago, we transferred from boat to van to plane to bus to subway to train to car in one day - with kids and luggage in tow! :o

Thanks for all of your wonderful feedback! :)