Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   London Tube Strike (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/london-tube-strike-119562/)

Carol Apr 21st, 2001 10:04 PM

London Tube Strike

I hear the tubes/trains will not be running in London on the 3rd May. I hope this does not continue into the 4th as that is the day I arrive. Does anyone have more info? If the Heathrow express is not running then I guess there must be a bus I can take into London, would anyone know where the bus goes to in London? My guess is Victoria, is that right? Thanks in advance.

Chris Apr 21st, 2001 11:57 PM

Warning for London visitors Next Week! <BR> <BR>I will also be in London next week May 1-2. I just received an email from my Mum-in-Law warning me that there will indeed be a tube strike beginning the Evening of May 2 right through May 3. Supposed to be okay for May 4 (lucky you). <BR> <BR>Also there is expected to be RIOTS on May 1 in the area of Oxford Street related to a protest march by some anarchists. UGH, my whole trip was planned around visiting museums and shopping too! <BR> <BR>

ron Apr 22nd, 2001 08:28 AM

I was in London during the strike at the end of March. As Chris says, it starts at 8 pm the previous evening, but it takes about 2 to 3 hours for the system to shut down. (I was able to catch the last north bound Piccadilly line train from the theatre district at about 10 pm). But it also takes a number of hours after the strike ends for the system to become fully operational, so there may still be problems early morning of May 4th. In any event, the Heathrow Express is NOT part of the tube system and will be unaffected.

j Apr 22nd, 2001 02:17 PM

<BR> <BR> New Tube strike is called <BR> <BR>by Dick Murray, Transport Editor <BR>London will suffer another damaging jobs-for-life Tube strike on Thursday 3 May, the third this year, with angry union leaders warning of more to come. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> Commuters face long journeya to work on 3 May as RMT workers plan another strike <BR> <BR> <BR> More on this Story <BR> <BR> Advice to Ken - Do it my way <BR>(17 Apr 2001) <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>The 24-hour stoppage will start at 8pm the previous evening, so travel will be disrupted over two days. <BR> <BR>Stations are expected to be closed throughout London and very few trains are likely to operate. A repeat of the chaos of previous strikes is forecast, with roads blocked as the Tube's near two million commuters struggle to get into work. Businesses have already estimated losses at tens of millions of pounds from the stoppages and will see them rise even higher. <BR> <BR>Last month's strike brought the capital to a virtual halt, with no Underground trains running in central London and only a handful outside. <BR> <BR>The strike has been called by the Rail Maritime and Transport union over claims of reduced safety standards since the system was broken into separate sections last year in readiness for the Government's part-privatisation (PPP). Their members include station staff, engineers and some train drivers. <BR> <BR>Coupled with the safety issue, however, are demands over job security. The RMT refuses to negotiate on the main demands until LU management lifts its threat of possible legal proceedings against the union for allegedly taking wildcat action in the first stoppage on 5 February, which was ordered by Aslef, the train drivers' union. <BR> <BR>Aslef members could again take wildcat action, as they did last month, and refuse to cross RMT picket lines which will be organised at all the main Tube depots. <BR> <BR>Strength of feeling over the claimed safety issue has been exacerbated by the lack of agreement between Mayor Ken Livingstone and the Government over the Tube's future. <BR> <BR>John Prescott says he intends to press ahead with his controversial PPP regardless of no agreement and has refused alternative plans from Transport Commissioner Bob Kiley. <BR> <BR>Mr Livingstone and Mr Kiley have accused the Government of trying to push through PPP before the courts can rule on the issue. <BR> <BR>The RMT's Bob Crow said today: "LU has no meaningful effort in trying to resolve this dispute. It is refusing to drop the legal threat. We want to return to Acas but we cannot discuss the main issues concerning the dispute with the legal action hanging over our heads. They should realise the depth of feeling among our members for the safety of the Tube." <BR> <BR>He added: "We will announce further strike dates if LU continues to refuse to negotiate." Talks at Acas failed to head off the last strike. <BR> <BR>A spokesman for the City Corporation said today: "The RMT's plans for yet another strike are quite intolerable. The union must not carry on with this irresponsible and reckless behaviour with no regard for the people of London and the future prosperity of the capital." <BR> <BR>The one-day stoppage will cost an estimated £100 million, the Corporation says. An LU spokeswoman said: "This strike flies in the face of reason. It has no support from the Mayor, Mr Kiley or the people of London who will be worst affected. <BR> <BR>"We want to resolve this dispute and remain willing and waiting to return to the negotiating table." <BR> <BR>The London Chamber of Commerce described the RMT announcement as "outrageous". <BR> <BR> <BR>Email this article to a friend <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>© Associated Newspapers Ltd., 18 April 2001 <BR>Terms and Conditions <BR>This Is London <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

bobbie Apr 23rd, 2001 07:17 AM

oh, no! we are arriving on may 3, coming into Heathrow, my understanding is that we can take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and at some point will take a taxi to the hotel, avoiding rush hour. What do you think the impact will be on Friday morning when we try to go from our hotel near Regent's Park to the Tower of London?

ron Apr 23rd, 2001 07:29 AM

Bobbie, my guess, based on the March strike, is that, at best, there will be no impact. At worst, there might be fewer trains running and a slightly longer wait between trains. I had no trouble getting from Finsbury Park to Barbican the morning after the March strike.

bobbie Apr 23rd, 2001 08:25 AM

since we are arriving on may 3 and will be taking the heathrow express, will i need advance reservations?

Carol Apr 23rd, 2001 09:24 AM

Thanks everyone. Now I know I will still be able to get the Heathrow Express. Now All I have to do is find a nice reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of Paddington and I will be all fixed up :-) Any ideas?

ron Apr 23rd, 2001 09:45 AM

Bobbie, while you can buy tickets in advance (and save money by so doing), I do not believe you can reserve a seat. I believe that the Heathrow Express is massively underutilized (because of ticket prices and because it does not go anyplace useful), so that the Heathrow Express would not be overtaxed by the extra 12,000 to 15,000 people not able to use the tube that day from Heathrow.

Kay Apr 23rd, 2001 11:01 AM

Do the strikes just happen randomly or is there some way of predicting when and if they will go out again. Just wondering, since I am going to London on May 13 and would like to know if I might be there for the next one. <BR> <BR>Kay

Maxell Apr 24th, 2001 03:46 AM

Well, the strike woeked on me. Was going to do a stop over on May, but I'm skipping London. I'm not going to spend a day stuck in traffic or gouged by the Heathrow Express

Rex Apr 24th, 2001 04:34 AM

Slightly off-topic, but on the subject of the Underground - - <BR> <BR>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/2001..._scents_1.html <BR> <BR>Wonder how the Halifax'ers feel about this!? <BR> <BR>For those of you unfamiliar with the connection between Halifax and "scents", previous threads on "air pollution (INside a plane) have carried (sometimes heated) discussions about the "right" to "scent-free" air - - which has been darn near enacted into law for the city of Halifax. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

mich May 2nd, 2001 08:05 AM

11th hour reprieve. The tube strike has just been called off.

Alec May 2nd, 2001 08:22 AM

Yes, the action on May 3rd has been called off, but the union has postponed it to May 15th, so watch out those who are traveling around that time to see if it is on.

Jody May 2nd, 2001 08:25 AM

For latest and best info in tube strike, and ANY other detail about underground service, itineraries, fees, etc <BR> <BR> <BR>www.londontransport.co.uk

Jill May 2nd, 2001 08:25 AM

You should be fine if you arrive in London on May 4th. I have been through a few tube strike during my time over there and by the next day it was all up and running as if nothing happened the day before. So, don't worry. The most trouble you might have is being a bit more busy on a Friday. But Have a great trip to London and enjoy.

Carol May 2nd, 2001 09:57 AM

Thanks Everyone and Jill for the good wishes..... now I gotta go pack, any offers of help? haha! <BR>Can't wait to see my Fodors pin when I get back 7th June. <BR>Thanks again folks :-)

bobbie May 2nd, 2001 10:14 AM

yippee! the strike is off, i'm out of here in less than three hours so this is really timely news! Thanks for all the advice on transportation, shows, restaurants, etc, I can't wait to get to london!

David White May 3rd, 2001 06:00 AM

<BR> <BR>Yes, the May 3rd strike was avoided. The next strike deadline appears to be May 14-15 if a settlement is not reached. <BR> <BR>David White <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com