Notices

London Travel Card question

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
London Travel Card question

Is it necessary to buy a London Travel Card (for the tube /buses) before we leave the US? We have 4 days in London...and basically want to play the tourist. What zone do we need? Should we buy the double decker sight seeing bus before had also?
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No it is not necessary to buy it in the USA. You may buy it in the USA for convinence so you can use it without waiting in the queue. You only need zone 1&2. You may purchase a supplement if you wish to travel to other zones by Tube. It is valid for all bus zones. Read more on the London transport site www.ticket-on-line.com to purchase. www.thetube.com for tube info and maps. I wouldnt buy the sight seeing bus before you travel. www.thebigbus.com or www.theoriginaltour.com. for more information and routes. You may purchase a ticket at most stops with a credit card. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This topic is discussed often; here is a recent thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34406736

To find others like it, type "travel card AND london" in the text box. My take is that *anything* you buy in advance from the US is more expensive than what you can easily get locally once you arrive.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you. I did a text search and nothing came up. I typed in "london travel card" so perhaps I erred in doing so.

As usual, thank you fellow readers for being so kind.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pleasure. The search function here is very "literal". Without the word AND in your string, it will only pull up threads with the exact words in the exact order that you enter them.

The thread I cited above makes mention of a new (?) travelcard that you can buy in advance that apparently does cost about the same as what you can get in London. It still seems easier to me to just buy when you get there....
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently spent three days in London and decided to purchase the travel card available in the US before my departure.

I bought a three day, zone 1&2 pass for $21 from the British Tourist Board in New York. What you get is unlimited use of the tube and buses anytime for the days. More days are available, but I do not know the cost.

A ticket for the tube is 1.6 pounds if purchased separately. You can buy a carnet of them and recieve about a 25% discount, I believe. So the maximum you will pay for one bus or subway ride is about $2.40 more or less depending on the exchange rate at the time. And a carnet would be under two dollars per ticket.

So, dividing the $21 by about two, you would have to use the tube or bus for 10 trips in the three days to break even.

This may help you decide if it is cost effective for you. Most tourist attractions are in zones 1&2.

Hopes this helps.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And to further what was just said above, if one of your days involves doing the "hop on/hop off" bus which doesn't accept the travel card, then I'd seriously consider no travel card at all. In addition, you can get a last minute one day travel card which you can only use after 9:30. I think that many people buy travel cards and never get their money's worth out of them. How many times per day do you really plan to use the tube or busses?