Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London transportation Qs: Connecting via tube (Green Park and Embankment) to/from Victoria and Paddinton Stations

London transportation Qs: Connecting via tube (Green Park and Embankment) to/from Victoria and Paddinton Stations

Mar 5th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

I will be traveling with my 21 year old daughter to London and Cardiff from March 9-18. It is my third visit to London and her second. We will bring our Oyster cards with us, and use them pay-as-we-go.

We arrive at London Gatwick, and have bought discounted tickets on the Gatwick Express. Our hotel for the first part of the trip is very near the Green Park tube station, one stop north on the Victoria line. We will be traveling light - one small rolling suitcase and a carry on rucksack/tote bag each, so I think this tube ride should be fairly manageable? (This will be a Saturday morning)

Mid-week, we will travel via train to Cardiff. We leave from Paddington Station before the afternoon rush hour. If I wanted to take the tube from Green Park, what would be the best route (involving the least difficult platform changes)?

After three nights in Cardiff, we return to London for the weekend, arriving at Paddington. This time we will stay near Embankment - is the Circle line (counter-clockwise) feasible for this?

We finish our trip by riding the Gatwick Express from Victoria Station. Looks like 2 stops on either the District line or the Circle line from Embankment to Victoria Station. Is one preferable? This will be on a Sunday morning, fairly early.

Would cabs be tons easier? I'm concerned that the cab fare from Paddington Station to Embankment will be high.
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:25 PM

For Green Park to Paddington - I'd just hail a cab. It isn't far so won't cost an arm and leg - and will be a lot easier than transferring on the tube.

From Paddington to Embankment - yes the Circle line anti-clockwise.

From Embankment to Victoria -- Circle and District run on the same tracks/platforms so you just take which ever train come first.

Mar 5th, 2007, 08:46 PM

From Green Park to Paddington, the tube transfer is a straight, flat, cross-platform connection at Oxford Circus from the Victoria to the Bakerloo line.

If you're watching the pennies I'd get the tube.
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:56 PM

true - Oxford Circus is an easy transfer - but it is also a really busy tube station. Just depends on how tight the budget is.
Mar 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the info. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm inclined right now to try the tube since it's a straight connection, although I know that Oxford Circus can be a zoo!
Mar 6th, 2007, 03:06 AM

Another option for Green Park to Paddington is to take the Jubilee Line at Green Park and change to the Bakerloo at Baker St (again a level walk-through of barely 20 yards - if memory serves, it helps to be near the front of the Jubilee Line train).

Mid-week, mid-afternoon, I wouldn't expect either interchange (Oxford Circus or Baker St) to be too difficult.
Mar 7th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, PatrickLondon, this sounds really good as well.