London Transport Museum

Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Transport Museum

So here is yet another museum to add to my wish list. We didn't get there during our first trip to London and hoping to maybe do it this time around.

How much time do you need for it? Is 1-2 hours sufficient? Trip advisor lists it as 2-3 hours and was wondering which is more accurate.

Is it best do view early or late in the day?
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 04:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't been since it reopened after being totally re-done a few years ago. It used to be good so I imagine it is even better now. A lot was/is geared to kids but I found the old collection lots of fun. Can't really help much about the current collections . . . but did want to mention that in October when I stayed in Aldwych and walked through that corner of Covent Garden frequently - there was a queue outside every single time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 04:39 PM

I enjoyed it and spent a lot of time looking at everything. Then I got to the gift shop and was in tube memorabilia heaven.

I'd say 3 hours, and go early.
Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Oh okay.

I was hoping to do it after the Inns of Court walk with London walks which ends nearby but the walk doesn't end until 4PM so wasn't sure if that gave enough time for the London Transport Museum and I guess it doesn't. Don't want to wait on line and rush through because they would be closing soon.

Either skip Inns of Court walk or pick a different day. Hard to do when my list is so long and just keeps growing!
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 04:10 AM

When we arrived around 11 on a Saturday morning we walked straight in, but half an hour later, after a visit to the cafe, there was a long queue for admission. It took around 2 hours to go round. Had we been able to get near the hands on bits (eg "driving" a tube train) we would have spent longer, but there were too many kids around. I think going late in the day would be better - once it's emptied out a bit you'll get round quicker.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 05:04 AM

2 hours (not counting queue time or time spent in the gift shop) is usually fine for me. Though I have been several times and probably do not spend as much time during repeat visits now. And I do not (have to) wait at special/interactive displays that might attract many kids. But I do spend a considerable time at the gift shop, though, as their range of stuff is impressive (much more than just "Mind the Gap" merchandise). And you often find these unusual souvenirs that ordinary souvenir shops don't have.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

So 2 plus hours plus time to queue and shop then definitely not enough time to do this after the London Walks tour of the Inns of Court which first ends around 16:00 and the museum closes at 18:00. Who knows how long the queue would be to get in at that time or not. It would be cutting it close and we wouldn't want to rush through.

I think DH and DS will get lost in the gift shop alone never mind the museum part.

I have to rethink the itinerary then.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 08:27 AM

I go every time I'm in London - love old trams, buses, etc - have not been to renovated one but the collection area before was fairly compact - even a transit nut like me would say two hours max - of course if you have kids there are lots of activities that could require more time.

I love the souvenir shop for all things related to Transport for London momentos - large wall maps of the Tube system - old pictures of London transit vehicles - model doube-dekcer buses, etc.

The souvenir shop can be entered freely without going into the museum proper.
Old Mar 23rd, 2014, 08:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
PQ - you go to to the museum every time you are in London but haven't been to it since the renovation . . . Does that mean the last time you visited London was pre 2007? Just curious . . .