London Transit Visitor's Travel Card

Oct 6th, 1999, 04:57 PM
Kathryn

London Transit Visitor's Travel Card

What has been your experience with the London Transit Visitor's Travel Card? Does it provide good value? Are there any limitations which reduce its value? Typically, how much does it save you? Are any of the additional vouchers which come with the card useful?

Oct 6th, 1999, 07:06 PM
steve

I'm not sure which card we used - it was available at the local store/newsstand. It was for unlimited travel after 9:30 AM for about 3 pounds - less than 1 pound for children. I didn't check to see what we would have paid on single tickets, but just the convenience was probably worth it

Oct 7th, 1999, 04:41 AM
jcarli

We used the Travelcard on our last visit to London. We only rode the Underground (tube) and it was great!!
No-tickets to buy at the station!! The only problem is when I mistakenly folded the card accross the magnetic strip and had some difficultly at some ticket stalls. I would definitely purchase in the U.S.A. before purchasing in the U.K. (cheaper).

Oct 7th, 1999, 05:28 AM
Bill Irving

The 4 of us, (2 adults & 2 kids) used the visitor's card when we were in London this past June. We had it for zones 1-2. Used it for the tube & Docklands light rail, which got us to Greenwich & back. We didn't really use any of the additional discounts, but the maps that came with it were well worth it. We purchased in the USA before going to London. It was more convenient for us that way -- didn't need any photographs, & we then had that part of the trip paid for before we even started. There was no time limitation during the day (but we did buy a 4 day ticket - good for 4 days of consecutive use) we could get on the tube before 9:30am & not have to wait in line with all the people waiting to purchase a daily travel card which can only be used after 9:30am during the weekdays. I will definitly do it this way again the next time we go. We used the tube many times during the days to get to all the different areas of central London, & to train stations, & back to the hotel to rest for the evenings & the tube out again for supper & the evening. We absoultly came out ahead on value for this.

Oct 7th, 1999, 07:58 AM
elvira

There a couple of things to keep in mind: where are you going, and when.

We were in London on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday am. In London, we bought a weekend pass for Sat/Sun; a day pass for Monday, and then a carnet for Tues a.m. to get us to Waterloo for the Eurostar. We got the zone 1-2 passes, since that's where the major sights are. The passes save money if you plan on 3 or more trips per day. The carnet (10 tickets for the price of about 6) is also a good value (if you plan on returning to London in the future, you can just use up the tickets left over on your next trip). As we didn't buy the passes until we got to London, we didn't get any vouchers (you can get free London maps, too, from the British Tourist Authority. Call or write - I think they have email, too).